Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What's happened to Adam Webster.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
I’ll be delighted if his name’s on the team sheet for the next few matches.

He’s got his moment out of the way, we will almost certainly see seven or eight matches of flawless performance from him before the next one.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Finally brought myself to watch Match of the Day and whilst the first three goals are disappointing, I'm quite happy to forgive them for what were some pretty stupid errors (though the placing of the free kick is appallingly amateurish officiating that probably changes the result). We all make mistakes under pressure and the game remained incredibly open at that point. At 3-2 we were absolutely in the game and Chelsea were making just as many mistakes - it was an odd half.

The fourth is the problem goal for me. More so than it felt live. Webster is too slow to move into a passing position after playing it back to Bart, Bart's pass is dreadful and to no one, Baleba is ball watching, Kadioglu is completely out of position, Weiffer is passive when he finally gets back into shape, Dunk doesn't follow Palmer when he runs between him and Webster, Bart is beaten way too easily at his near post. in the 49th minute of the half as well. A real lack of concentration from a lot of players who should be doing a ton better. Need to sort that out going forward. It doesn't matter what system you play if your players switch off in big moments against a quick side.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
But does being a t**t after the match rather than at the match mean you should lose your seat at a football match? That’s the origin of this… I think not.

Whether we like it or not, freedom of expression is part and parcel of living in our country, as long as that doesn’t cross certain boundaries ie into race.

So yes, he’s a bit nasty, as someone shouting at our players at the match is, but is it enough to make them be banned from the game… no for me.

Shouting and moaning during the game is normal, however there would be a line crossed if you got into the face of a player as they were warming up or taking a throw in. A ban wouldn’t be over the top there as it’s direct abuse of a player. I don’t see the difference between that and some of the abuse directed at a player on social media.

Again there is a huge difference between posting “we were a bit shit today, must be better next game” and “player x was shite, today, worse player I’ve ever seen for us, get out of my club” and directly tagging them so they see it.

Freedom of expression is fine, but freedom of consequences from those expressions doesn’t exist if you cross a line. Abuse doesn’t have to be face to face and people need to realise they can’t just post it on social media and expect to go unpunished when they cross lines.

Last edited:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The fourth is the problem goal for me. More so than it felt live. Webster is too slow to move into a passing position after playing it back to Bart, Bart's pass is dreadful and to no one, Baleba is ball watching, Kadioglu is completely out of position, Weiffer is passive when he finally gets back into shape, Dunk doesn't follow Palmer when he runs between him and Webster, Bart is beaten way too easily at his near post. in the 49th minute of the half as well. A real lack of concentration from a lot of players who should be doing a ton better. Need to sort that out going forward. It doesn't matter what system you play if your players switch off in big moments against a quick side.
You missed out Pervis playing everyone onside

And I take your point about Webby should have made an angle. But given that he hasn't done, the keeper has got to just try to hit Welbeck hasn't he? I mean it has to be ok to do that sometimes, when there's not much on?

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
You missed out Pervis playing everyone onside

And I take your point about Webby should have made an angle. But given that he hasn't done, the keeper has got to just try to hit Welbeck hasn't he? I mean it has to be ok to do that sometimes, when there's not much on?
No, I saw Pervis drop and think that he's seen Palmer make the run in between and anticipated the danger rather than destroying an offside trap that would've worked. I don't think it would've been offside for Palmer there as he runs from pretty deep but who knows. It's a good point and I thought about including it as he's essentially panicking with the rest of the defence but didn't think it made any sort of contribution to the goal in reality. Regardless it's collectively poor defending.

Yes, completely agree on the second point. The fact he's trying to play through the press find Baleba at that moment in the game is stupid and naïve. As you say, it's got to go long when Webster doesn't make the angle for the return pass. It was probably the best moment of Chelsea's high-press in the game tbh - they'd basically committed to man marking us on the edge our own area with midfielders flying in behind. A long ball over the top not only relieves pressure in the temporary but it also forces Chelsea to abandon the high-press in that moment. And had he managed to clear it in Sanchez's direction, who knows what mix up could've occurred!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
No, I saw Pervis drop and think that he's seen Palmer make the run in between and anticipated the danger rather than destroying an offside trap that would've worked. I don't think it would've been offside for Palmer there as he runs from pretty deep but who knows. It's a good point and I thought about including it as he's essentially panicking with the rest of the defence but didn't think it made any sort of contribution to the goal in reality. Regardless it's collectively poor defending.
Well, Pervis can't stop Palmer from where he is. All he does is allow Palmer to be well onside. Agreeing that it was collectively a bad goal to give away ... if there is of course a good goal to give away

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Well, Pervis can't stop Palmer from where he is. All he does is allow Palmer to be well onside. Agreeing that it was collectively a bad goal to give away ... if there is of course a good goal to give away
You may be right about Pervis tbf on 12th watching. Palmer may have timed his run perfectly but it would've gone to VAR and if you're playing an offside trap (as we did incredibly well on Saturday) you can't have a full back decide to not play it.

Throw Pervis on the pile of blame as well! So many players failing to get it right at the same time.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Because it was the first error, it was the costliest error, it changed the game. We were looking more likely to go 0-2 until that point. Then admitedly we lost our heads/way (2 very questionable ref calls aside) but that mistake was the catalyst for the 25 mins of chaos that followed. Would Chelsea have undone us anyway? Maybe, probably. However Webster literally assisted them a route back in after we had been the better team until then.
More likely to go 0-2, yep totally accurate

At 0-1

Palmer hits post when should have scored
Palmer scores but offside

Then Palmer scores

James scores but offside

So in a five minute spell rather than being 1-1 we could (should) have been 4-1 down

So the error wasn't really the catalyst, the high line was being breached continually and it was only a matter of time before we conceded.

But we all see games differently, and have different views on whether the glass is half full or half empty.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
I know this isn't hugely relevant in this context, but I just find it weird that people are getting on his case about a mistake in *this* game.

I'd expect (but not condone) that kind of reaction if he made the same mistake in an FA Cup semi-final when the scores were 0-0 in the 90th minute. But this was Chelsea away, a very well-resourced side in great form with a player in Palmer who can win games singlehandedly -- as he showed us.

Even without Webster's mistake, we still would have lost. I wouldn't have felt much better about 3-2 than I do about 4-2.

Of course there's no context that would excuse abusing our player on Twitter. But this game's context makes it all the more baffling. His mistake didn't even cost us the points.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I don't often post , but I'm really angry about anyone who thinks Adam Webster deserves any kind of abuse. Totally out of order and a complete lack of understanding of what that guy has done for our club over the years. Yes, he made a bad mistake that cost us yesterday, and not for the first time either. But that's the nature of the game, how is it he gets abuse while others making just as many mistakes are somehow exempt? This guy has been a stalwart for us for many seasons and was instrumental keeping us in this division. Maybe we've moved on from his level, but when picked he continues to give his all and even yesterday saved a certain goal with a superb clearance and rescued Pervis from a red card with his positioning. He's man enough to own his mistakes unlike many, so anyone having a go outside the moment of the match should take a long hard look at themselves.
Can I encourage you to post more often.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
You can ban them for abuse on X or Twitter that is what I would do.
IMO the boundaries have been crossed.
If we’re banning someone from a match because they’ve called a player s**t then the bar is incredibly low. And, quite frankly, we’d never have any fans going to games. What next, are we going to silence NSC posters for thinking someone is a bit rubbish?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I know this isn't hugely relevant in this context, but I just find it weird that people are getting on his case about a mistake in *this* game.

I'd expect (but not condone) that kind of reaction if he made the same mistake in an FA Cup semi-final when the scores were 0-0 in the 90th minute. But this was Chelsea away, a very well-resourced side in great form with a player in Palmer who can win games singlehandedly -- as he showed us.

Even without Webster's mistake, we still would have lost. I wouldn't have felt much better about 3-2 than I do about 4-2.

Of course there's no context that would excuse abusing our player on Twitter. But this game's context makes it all the more baffling. His mistake didn't even cost us the points.
Unfortunately, the trigger for the vicious abuse on fascist twitter was Webby tweeting about his error. If he hadn't done so none of the nonsense would have occurred. I suspect he might stay off SM for a while.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Yes, the narrative that Webster's error turned Cole Palmer into a world-class player is a load of bollocks. We'd have lost that game regardless.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
If we’re banning someone from a match because they’ve called a player s**t then the bar is incredibly low. And, quite frankly, we’d never have any fans going to games. What next, are we going to silence NSC posters for thinking someone is a bit rubbish?
Think your standards and mine on this subject are different 😃.
It’s the level of vitriol within the abuse, enough to make Webster shut his account.
Isn’t that enough, that he felt that he had to do that?
For me it’s unacceptable.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
More likely to go 0-2, yep totally accurate

At 0-1

Palmer hits post when should have scored
Palmer scores but offside

Then Palmer scores

James scores but offside

So in a five minute spell rather than being 1-1 we could (should) have been 4-1 down

So the error wasn't really the catalyst, the high line was being breached continually and it was only a matter of time before we conceded.

But we all see games differently, and have different views on whether the glass is half full or half empty.
At 1 nil we were passing the ball around with aplomb. The guy next to me was commenting how comfortable we looked and then the moments you highlight happened.

By the time Webster made the error for the 1st we were already being torn a new one all across the back line.

mikeking

Sep 29, 2024
Right couple of absolute w⚓️s.
Hello “Dazzer”, and @BN9 BHA. Thank you for the comments aimed towards me, however given you both follow me on Twitter for a public reply, and have the ability to drop me a message, I would rather you did that instead of bringing it onto a site where you perhaps think I may not see it.

I publicly apologised for my melodramatic tweet towards Webster mid-game on Saturday, but the tweet shared there was merely me defending myself from someone who had repeatedly used my tweet to justify their own comments about Webster. The person in question (“The Dutch Maldini FYI”) and I have sorted it publicly.

On the “Ethan Saggers” individual, him trying to use my comments to justify him literally telling Webster that he deserves to be publicly hung makes me sick, and as such I called him out on it. There is a fairly big debate on here of the line between criticism and abuse, for me if it’s based on a footballing basis it’s criticism, as soon as you directly wish harm on someone it becomes abuse. I would expect it’s things like this (which he has publicly called out before) that made him deactivate.

Whilst my tweet was melodramatic, it was merely football-based criticism and in no way made to be abusive, however one I do regret as aware it isn’t constructive at all. A good example of why you shouldn’t pick your phone up during a break in play and why I won’t in the future.

Webster has been a great servant for 5 years now, particularly outstanding during his first three seasons. Struggled a fair bit over the last 12 months but equally one of our own. On a personal level I wish him nothing but good things.

UTA.

(Apologies for the long post, but felt I should get that off my chest)

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
The BHA Harvey kid is a regular WUM on Twitter and seems to have the IQ of the goat in his bio. Worse than most of the fishermen on here and regularly owned.

Doesn’t make it right, nor would Webster know that, but that’s the level we’re dealing with.
He's been at it for years now.

I haven't had a twitter since 2020 and remember him being a twat back then too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here