Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What's happened to Adam Webster.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
On X sure. But not from Brighton games. If you’re playing by that logic of abuse, most clubs would never have any fans attending games, as they’d all be banned… I honestly can’t believe there’s an adult fan alive that hasn’t gone to a game and gone “oh f-off player X” about one of our players. I know I have.

Huge difference between shouting in the heat of a moment at a match when someone makes a mistake and posting abusive messages on social media hours after the game has finished.

With the former the player is unlikely to hear you (in fact it's unlikely to be heard by anyone except those in the seats around you) and two mins later you are going to be applauding them after they've made a great tackle or pass. The later takes thought and effort, isn't in the heat of the moment and can be seen by a lot larger audience including the players themselves.

Social media can be a great thing, it's a great way to interact with a wider audience however it's abused by far too many idiots who should know better and making an example out of those who choose to abuse a player for making a mistake may make others think about their actions.

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
There is a world of difference between Twitter and NSC.

On Twitter people can openly tag him, reply to his posts etc and he’ll see some of them. It’s like calling him shit to his face but from the safety of two way glass or perhaps while wearing a disguise.

No players are on NSC as far as I know, and haven’t been since Guy Butters who rolled with the punches. He and his Mrs seemed to enjoy it here. Whereas I would absolutely counsel the current squad to avoid this place like the plague.

On NSC we’re debating players we rate, why things have happened in games, who we’d pick etc as if we were down the pub. We wouldn’t be talking about Webster with him sat on the bar stool next to us. But I had a full blown conversation about him with my son and others on the way home and that’s what I saw on NSC last night and this morning.
I completely agree.
Also, i often wonder whether oppo fans use this as an excuse to join the fun. I'd be surprised if everyone giving Adam stick were actually Brighton fans.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I don't often post , but I'm really angry about anyone who thinks Adam Webster deserves any kind of abuse. Totally out of order and a complete lack of understanding of what that guy has done for our club over the years. Yes, he made a bad mistake that cost us yesterday, and not for the first time either. But that's the nature of the game, how is it he gets abuse while others making just as many mistakes are somehow exempt? This guy has been a stalwart for us for many seasons and was instrumental keeping us in this division. Maybe we've moved on from his level, but when picked he continues to give his all and even yesterday saved a certain goal with a superb clearance and rescued Pervis from a red card with his positioning. He's man enough to own his mistakes unlike many, so anyone having a go outside the moment of the match should take a long hard look at themselves.
I wonder if any of those dishing out the abuse saw the fantastic goal saving clearance he made?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Isn't it always the same with Webster? Haven't we seen this mutiple times?

Comes into the team, looks very hit and miss. Plays 3 or 4 times, starts to look ok. Plays 7 or 8 times, starts looking international quality. Get's injured for 6 weeks. We go again

Difference this time is that JPVH will be back, presumably at the weekend or soon after, so Webby won't get the chance to take us through the process unless one of the first choice goes down longer term

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Isn't it always the same with Webster? Haven't we seen this mutiple times?

Comes into the team, looks very hit and miss. Plays 3 or 4 times, starts to look ok. Plays 7 or 8 times, starts looking international quality. Get's injured for 6 weeks. We go again

Difference this time is that JPVH will be back, presumably at the weekend or soon after, so Webby won't get the chance to take us through the process unless one of the first choice goes down longer term
He's been pretty good every time he's played this season, with one glaringly awful f*** up.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I completely agree.
Also, i often wonder whether oppo fans use this as an excuse to join the fun. I'd be surprised if everyone giving Adam stick were actually Brighton fans.
Plenty of Albion fans who get their dopamine fix from interactions on SM.
Good or bad, it matters little.

They're all over the place nowadays.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Been critical of Webster for a long time.

However not comfortable with some of this so have not commented .

I like Webster , the videos of the club always show what a good presence he is for the other players.

I'm not against slinging him on to defend a lead and he can do a job. Unfortunately he just gives away chances and goals too often to be a starter.

We should of signed a CB .

I'd rate him and Igor on a par with each other though

He's doing his best and seems a good guy .

Anyone being malicious needs to give their head a wobble

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Been critical of Webster for a long time.

However not comfortable with some of this so have not commented .

I like Webster , the videos of the club always show what a good presence he is for the other players.

I'm not against slinging him on to defend a lead and he can do a job. Unfortunately he just gives away chances and goals too often to be a starter.

We should of signed a CB .

I'd rate him and Igor on a par with each other though

He's doing his best and seems a good guy .

Anyone being malicious needs to give their head a wobble
We did try for a Dutch guy, but his club rejected our offer didn’t they? I’d imagine we’ll go back for him in January

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Any central defender playing under FH's tactics will look vulnerable and slower than they are. Even JPvH got left on his heels a couple of times against Forest.
Adam Webster is a quality defender and would get in the majority of Premier League matchday squads. He reads the game well and is very strong and brings the ball out of defence well.
He's not Bobby Moore or Franz Beckenbauer, but there are players a lot weaker than AW.

If he can't get a regular start at the Albion and they wanted to unload him I'm sure there would be several PL clubs that would happily have him on their books.
I would imagine most defenders hate playing a high line because they will often get exposed and left looking like donkeys.
Last season Spurs persisted in playing a high line at home against Chelsea when down to 10 men, and they got ripped to shreds just like us at Stamford Bridge on Saturday.

Adam Webster isn't world class, but he's certainly a decent Premier League central defender.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Huge difference between shouting in the heat of a moment at a match when someone makes a mistake and posting abusive messages on social media hours after the game has finished.

With the former the player is unlikely to hear you (in fact it's unlikely to be heard by anyone except those in the seats around you) and two mins later you are going to be applauding them after they've made a great tackle or pass. The later takes thought and effort, isn't in the heat of the moment and can be seen by a lot larger audience including the players themselves.

Social media can be a great thing, it's a great way to interact with a wider audience however it's abused by far too many idiots who should know better and making an example out of those who choose to abuse a player for making a mistake may make others think about their actions.
But does being a t**t after the match rather than at the match mean you should lose your seat at a football match? That’s the origin of this… I think not.

Whether we like it or not, freedom of expression is part and parcel of living in our country, as long as that doesn’t cross certain boundaries ie into race.

So yes, he’s a bit nasty, as someone shouting at our players at the match is, but is it enough to make them be banned from the game… no for me.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
This individual’s abuse is on X as I understand it, (see previous attachments).
This is about social media abuse.
I know, but your initial post asked the question: “At what point in the abuse do the club get involved and ban him from games?”.

My answer, based on what I’ve seen, is never. He’s been a bit mean, and that’s nasty and pathetic and not something I would do myself, but you can’t ban someone for being a bit mean unless they cross some very specific boundaries.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester

Agree. I have a right go at players when at the game if they make a mistake but it’s because I’m fired up with the passion of the game. Try not to put my initial feelings on SM.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I know, but your initial post asked the question: “At what point in the abuse do the club get involved and ban him from games?”.

My answer, based on what I’ve seen, is never. He’s been a bit mean, and that’s nasty and pathetic and not something I would do myself, but you can’t ban someone for being a bit mean unless they cross some very specific boundaries.

You can ban them for abuse on X or Twitter that is what I would do.
IMO the boundaries have been crossed.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Funny how a result can dictate people's views, we concede 4 at almost everyone highlight's Webster's errors, if we had won, than no doubt the focus would have been on his two goal line blocks from the second half.
Because it was the first error, it was the costliest error, it changed the game. We were looking more likely to go 0-2 until that point. Then admitedly we lost our heads/way (2 very questionable ref calls aside) but that mistake was the catalyst for the 25 mins of chaos that followed. Would Chelsea have undone us anyway? Maybe, probably. However Webster literally assisted them a route back in after we had been the better team until then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here