Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What would you change about the stadium (and site) if it could be done over again?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I've been told they haven't got any plans at the moment to fill the North corners in so had the North stand been steeper the screens could be moved to the corners.

filling the north corners is stage two, permission granted will take place in the 2013 summer. first stage is obviously east upper and the south corners

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
More external bars/pubs. Proper ones. With memorabilia and stuff on the walls and lots of seats and tables. Like Orient's if anyone has been in there.

I don't think there's much chance of building something, but I'd be happy to see a big marquee serving bar and pies, etc outside the ground. It would be nice to have the opportunity to meet up with freinds who sit in other stands, before the game.

I think The Amex is a work of art. I can't think of much I would change. My biggest gripe by far is the huge gap between the seats and the roof in the East Stand, but clearly this will be sorted when the second tier goes in. That will result in PERFECTION. The location is good because every form of realistic transport is on offer. People moan about the trains but seriously, ask yourself what other stadiums have a station within about 200 yards of the pitch. Barely any. If you have to wait 20 minutes to catch a train, so what? You'd be walking for 40 just to reach the station in lots of towns. From the outside, it looks magnificent. Inside it's just so clean and high in quality, you can really tell why it cost so much compared to places like Cardiff, Leicester and Southampton that just look a bit like they're made from plastic. The food is great, the noise is great, the views are great. And best of all, because of the years it took to get there, it has a real sense of being special and an emotional attachment that I just can't imagine other new stadiums have. I'm not ashamed to say I am in love like never before.

Well, this really. I'm completely happy with it.

Would have been wise to put concrete for top tier East stand in when we built it as per MK Dons to make expansion easier.

They know what they're doing. The support structure is all there. It was designed to do all the work in a close season. they just have to crane the concrete sections in and fix them in place. Gobsmacked that anyone would want the monstrous MK Dons style empty concrete.

One more thing, I did think that a false ceiling on the concourses would really finish them off and hide the pipes etc.

It would be nice if they finished off (added) ceilings to the concourses. It would look more finished then.

Lowering the ceiling height in the concourses would make them feel far more cramped. Way better left as they are.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
What would I change? Move the whole thing to Waterhall with decent access roads off the A27/A23 and a parkway station on the London/Brighton line.

That would putit slap bang in the middle of the South Downs National park. your planning application would fall at the first hurdle........

Gangsta

Jul 6, 2003
Withdean
Heated oudoor swimming pool complete with Cocktail bar. I have been to several cricket grounds around the world with these facilities and think it would add to proceedings.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A few false ceilings, especially in places like Dick's Bar.
I'm glad it's not just me.
I keep expecting to turn up and see that done, so the stadium is finally finished.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
we asked about escalators . appraently they would take up too much room compared to stairs.

By the Power of Perry, and the Bung of Bloom, I bet this could be achieved.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
it's perfect except for two things;

1. north stand needs more boggage
2. sack azure - the physical facilities for catering are fine, it's just the shitty people at azure are cocking it up every week.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Either a moveable stand, so that it angles in accordance with where the play is (e.g. if the ball is down in the south west corner, the north end of the west stand moves forward a bit, or straps in the seats that are compulsory for everyone, because I'm getting annoyed with everyone leaning forward when the ball is in the corner blocking my view! If you all sit properly in your seats, no one would have to lean forward and we'd all be able to see.

I may not be being entirely serious with this modification.

NUFC1892

Feb 13, 2011
Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
Only visited the AMEX once for the FA Cup game (less said about that the better! ;)) and I was impressed with the stadium, it has a lot of character and it pisses all over any other new ground of similar size (including Southampton, Leicester, Boro etc - very soulless, unlike the AMEX). Obviously it isn't completed yet so to use that as something negative against the stadium is silly. The only negative I can think of really was the location of the stadium, although it didn't effect me really. I ended up getting the train down to Brighton from Newcastle and drinking around near the station before then getting the train to the Amex for the match (ended up missing 5 mins or so due to staying in the pub too long). I found it relatively easy and had no problems with this personally, the train didn't seem to take too long at all and loads of people managed to fit onto it. With there being no trains post match back to Newcastle I ended up getting the coach home so can't comment on getting the train back to Brighton. But aye, didn't have any massive problems with the Amex, once it's finished it'll definitely be somewhere I would look forward to visiting again - hopefully in the not too distant future.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Firstly I am still slightly amazed every time I see the Amex - let alone go in it.

But ............. the design was rather foisted upon us at a time when it seemed too incredible to believe it could ever happen (fortunately lots of people have a lot more belief than me) but there was a NSC thread at the time when a poster said about the trend for retro stadiums in the States. That is a stadium that has the modern facilities but had the pitchside look of an old stadium with separate stands. I did rather like that idea. We could have had a two tier West Stand (full length this time) and a North Stand more like the Kop with a single tier etc.

I love the Amex - but I do sometimes think what other designs could we have looked at (safe in the knowledge that I will never have them money to fund it ................).

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I agree Mumm. Four separate stands are more asthetically pleasing than a 'bowl' and you can't beat the sight of a floodlight 'erection' in each corner of the ground rather than having them running along the roof of the stands.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
The blue surface in the side of the pitch not so steep/slippery. Every time Buckley flys on to it full speed in worried another injury is on the way!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here