Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What would you change about the stadium (and site) if it could be done over again?

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Firstly I am still slightly amazed every time I see the Amex - let alone go in it.

But ............. the design was rather foisted upon us at a time when it seemed too incredible to believe it could ever happen (fortunately lots of people have a lot more belief than me) but there was a NSC thread at the time when a poster said about the trend for retro stadiums in the States. That is a stadium that has the modern facilities but had the pitchside look of an old stadium with separate stands. I did rather like that idea. We could have had a two tier West Stand (full length this time) and a North Stand more like the Kop with a single tier etc.

I love the Amex - but I do sometimes think what other designs could we have looked at (safe in the knowledge that I will never have them money to fund it ................).

The design was Foistered on us??????? By whom????? KSS, American express, the FA, the League, the president of the United States.... whom? Pray tell!This is an award winning design generally praised for being more advanced thatn the "usual soul less bowl" design that most people are fobbed off with (MK Dons, Coventry, Leicester, reading etc etc) What a silly argument. It has to fit the space we were trying to fit it into.. and we do have seperate stands . Its just that we have filled in the gaps at the back.

I have stood ankle deep in people's piss at our National Stadium. I have no desire to go to anything that remoinds me of old fashioned out of date grounds that do not allow people to watch safely or in (relative) comfort

Last edited:

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
should of demolished the goldstone retail park and put the stadium there ( i hate toys r us )

HAVE..... not OF ................ FFS

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
The design was Foistered on us??????? This is an award winning design generally praised for being more advenrurous thatn the "usual soul less bowl" design that most people are fobbed off with (MK Dons, Coventry, Leicester, redaing etc etc) What a silly argument. It has to fit the space we were trying to fit it into.. and we do have seperate stands . Its just that we have filled in the gaps.

Listen - I have nothing to argue over. I am just passing comment that were we to start over again (as per thread title) what I would like to have considered was a retro-style ground. The Amex is miles better than a lot of grounds, with a few minor gripes, and it is ours and I love it. I am not passing judgement on the quality of the design etc or wanting to sound at all ungrateful - it is just that a retro ground could also have been good.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Although everyone defends it to high hell (after Withdean that's understandable) but a lot of what some away fans have said about it are perfectly valid. The fact there's nothing around it (pubs, food outlets) let's it down massively and whilst it's not out on an industrial estate like say Stoke's is, it may as well be for the facilities near by.

Obviously the ground is brilliant for a lot of things but that's not to say it's perfect. What changes would you have made given the chance?

Build it in the brighton station carpark, 50 % bigger with the away fans next to the N stand in the E stand

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Listen - I have nothing to argue over. I am just passing comment that were we to start over again (as per thread title) what I would like to have considered was a retro-style ground. The Amex is miles better than a lot of grounds, with a few minor gripes, and it is ours and I love it. I am not passing judgement on the quality of the design etc or wanting to sound at all ungrateful - it is just that a retro ground could also have been good.

and it would look like a thousand other grounds. Ours is described as "unique" and "iconic". Which will do for me, over a crumbling wreck...............

I didn't feel excited about going to St mary's.... I didn't feel excited about going to the Walkers in Leicester, I didn't feeel particulalrly excited about going to Prode Park, or the Madejski in Reading. all fine grounds but a bit samey. Ours tho is ICONIC

Last edited:

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
A bit off-topic, and the video build up is superb - but why the faux-urban shout-out to "put your hands up for Brighton"? Makes me cringe a bit.

Best asked fat Boy Norman - that was his mix

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I would have made the north and south stands bigger, I'd also paint all the concrete white or maybe even blue and white so it doesn't look so bare.....perhaps the club could do that anyway?
A lot of the bare concrete cannot be painted for a number of years are it structural and need to be monitored for cracks etc, so cannot be painted yet.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
and it would look like a thousand other grounds. Ours is described as "unique" and "iconic". Which will do for me, over a crumbling wreck...............

I didn't feel excited about going to St mary's.... I didn't feel excited about going to the Walkers in Leicester, I didn't feeel particulalrly excited about going to Prode Park, or the Madejski in Reading. all fine grounds but a bit samey. Ours tho is ICONIC

It wouldn't have looked like the other bowls - that is the point.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

Stop arguing with him you idiot.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Build a bridge from Village Way straight into the WSU. It'll ease the burden of using the stairs, especially when leaving.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Can't change the location now. It is better than expected, or will be with the extra seating.

My original gripes were the size (not big enough) and the expansion was kept under wraps.

I would have chosen Pende (Mash Barn) for better transport and parking. But that does mean Falmer was the wrong choice. It is a political world and not an ideal world and it got built so it was the best choice. If I was a Southampton fan I would have gone for Eastleigh.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Lack of an Alan Mullery statue.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Would have preferred the Brighton Station site with steeper terracing/seating and a 35-40,000 capacity - would've been fantastic BUT - am happy with the location of the Amex given the lack of anywhere else appropriate and will hold my judgement on the stadium itself until all the outstanding seats are installed because I reckon what is already a pretty amazing stadium is going to morph into a PHENOMINAL stadium then!!

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
To increase the north stand,use the existing seats for the corners or east stand upper and replace them with smaller sized ones.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
I think The Amex is a work of art. The location is good because every form of realistic transport is on offer. People moan about the trains but seriously, ask yourself what other stadiums have a station within about 200 yards of the pitch. .

I know this will appear reallly nerdy.... but on Saturday, from the station to my seat was 842 paces. And I'm in WSU so that's approx 100 steps getting up the stand.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
A bigger Dicks Bar with capacity of around 1000 so higher profile bands could play on non football evenings.
Use of the name Falmer Stadium to be a legal requisite for the life of the ground
Better exterior. Concrete to be painted club colours. Tarmac needs redoing already.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
:mad::lol:You want bigger dicks in Brighton.....................................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here