Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What the hell is Poyets problem

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Is the argus/ the echo still trying to get a rivalry going. They must be desperate. Its brighton,palace and saints,pompey. Some club somewhere past pompey have nothing to do with us and like charlton, they are just not worth the effort. I suppose palace have charlton trying to get noticed and we seem to have saints. Then again i think its the paper as i dont think saints fans give a monkeys either. Very odd. By the way the argus didnt know we had won the charity shield, that must be the echo influence because the argus used to do articles on it. In short, cant wait for palace, pompey will be a big one but saints, nope many other games will be bigger next year like millwall, leeds,west ham. Saints? Just a teamvfrom the dingly dell and good luck to them
Just out of interest why have you got this obsession that clubs can only have ONE rival? If so who do you think are Man Utd's rivals?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
But looking on the bright side, this thread gave you another comedy insult to throw out at #saintsfc from your @GusPoyet account.

(It's ok to keep the teasing going on on Twitter, but not NSC presumably?)
Is that right? That's a bit hypocritical!

Last edited:

Feb 14, 2010
Just out of interest why have you got this obsession that clubs can only have ONE rival? If so who do you think are Man Utd's rivals?

I dont, brighton have palace, then pompey, after that its thecrest of london, and thenva few other odd clubbs like oxford and chesterfield. Saints tho are just some club the othwr side of pompey that usedto play at the dingly dell. Millwall have westcham, palace; charlton and gillingham. Lots of clubs have a proper rivsl and thenva few others but saintscare just well southampton and irrelevant ro us as we are to them. Sorry daily echo and by the way learn your history about the albion..we won the charity shield and used to get bigger crowds than saints

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I dont, brighton have palace, then pompey, after that its thecrest of london, and thenva few other odd clubbs like oxford and chesterfield. Saints tho are just some club the othwr side of pompey that usedto play at the dingly dell. Millwall have westcham, palace; charlton and gillingham. Lots of clubs have a proper rivsl and thenva few others but saintscare just well southampton and irrelevant ro us as we are to them. Sorry daily echo and by the way learn your history about the albion..we won the charity shield and used to get bigger crowds than saints
I'm not sure I really followed that, but you seem to be saying that clubs CAN have more than one rival. Well at least we agree on that. However I certainly see Southampton as far bigger on the 'Brighton Rival' scale (and getting bigger) than all other London clubs (except Palace obviously). Not sure how you can say we're bigger rivals with the likes of Chelsea or Barnet.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I'm not sure I really followed that, but you seem to be saying that clubs CAN have more than one rival. Well at least we agree on that. However I certainly see Southampton as far bigger on the 'Brighton Rival' scale (and getting bigger) than all other London clubs (except Palace obviously). Not sure how you can say we're bigger rivals with the likes of Chelsea or Barnet.

The only London Club interested in us as a rival is Orient and given that we have played them a lot more than Palace over the last twenty years it's not too surprising. Oh course we have probably played Brentford as many times as Orient but they see QPR as their main rivals and it's been a long time since they were in the same division. I can tell you that a lot of Place fans don't know why we are considered their main rivals and in fact tend to have a go at Charlton (apparently they're too scared of Millwall). What does surprise me is that no Palace fan ever considered Wimbledon as a rival even when they were in the same division and ground shared.

Up until this season I never thought much about any rivalry with any South Coast team but as I have said before, in times gone by we have considered the likes of Reading, Cardiff and Chesterfield as rivals thanks to their and our league position that season.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Gus has got a point. The fact that it is Southampton should have nothing to do with it. Any team that goes into the final two Saturday fixtures with their spare game squeezed inbetween enjoys an advantage. They take the pitch knowing what is required.

The same thing is happening in the Championship as Norwich and Cardiff played yesterday and the Football League couldn't even get them to kick off at same time !

Agree. When it comes down to the end of the season, everyone should play at the same time. Didn't happen that was back in 1978/9 though, did it? Palace played their last game v Burnley after Albion had finished, and were jetting off to the USA to celebrate.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
The only London Club interested in us as a rival is Orient and given that we have played them a lot more than Palace over the last twenty years it's not too surprising. Oh course we have probably played Brentford as many times as Orient but they see QPR as their main rivals and it's been a long time since they were in the same division. I can tell you that a lot of Place fans don't know why we are considered their main rivals and in fact tend to have a go at Charlton (apparently they're too scared of Millwall). What does surprise me is that no Palace fan ever considered Wimbledon as a rival even when they were in the same division and ground shared.

Up until this season I never thought much about any rivalry with any South Coast team but as I have said before, in times gone by we have considered the likes of Reading, Cardiff and Chesterfield as rivals thanks to their and our league position that season.

Brighton v Orient? Think 1997 at the Goldstone. McGleish is still one of your hate players, right?

Palace did use to hate Millwall back before Venners/Mullers kicked off; when we were in Div 1 THE FIRST TIME it was Chelsea. Wimbledon I think we tolerated but we had a dreadful playing record against them, sadly.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Agree. When it comes down to the end of the season, everyone should play at the same time. Didn't happen that was back in 1978/9 though, did it? Palace played their last game v Burnley after Albion had finished, and were jetting off to the USA to celebrate.

I seem to remember something about them being halfway across the Atlantic when they found out that Palarse had won the championship. Don't know how true that is but they definitely finished after us.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Brighton v Orient? Think 1997 at the Goldstone. McGleish is still one of your hate players, right?

Palace did use to hate Millwall back before Venners/Mullers kicked off; when we were in Div 1 THE FIRST TIME it was Chelsea. Wimbledon I think we tolerated but we had a dreadful playing record against them, sadly.

No actually I quite like McGliesh these days, it's never been far from my mind what a turd Hearn is though. I used to live near Smellhurst and would watch Wimbedon even though every home game was an away game.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

1984/85 Palace 0-5 Wimbledon, Att: 4,005

:lolol:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Quote Originally Posted by redneb View Post
Is that why he let Hudderfield win? Fat lot of good that did them.

let Huddersfield win? f*** off you nob!

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
What I find a bit strange about the whole situation with Plymouth and their internationals is that they decided that our game down there would need to be put back due to international call ups - and they were able to re-arrange for the Tuesday after we were away at Carlisle which was a bit of a trek (Not sour grapes as we won!). What struck me as strange was that a couple of weeks later on another international weekend they were playing Charlton and on the FL show they siad that they could have got a postponement but it didn't suit them!? My view is that once that precedent has been set you have to postpone any games on an international weekend you can't let people pick and choose surely.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
They didn't postpone the Charlton game because they couldn't afford to. They needed the match revenue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here