Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What Makes Up The Perfect Burger

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I have to say the chicken burgers at the Gourmet Burger Kitchen in Gardener Street are AMAZING and MASSIVE. I like the one's with the Satay sauce.

For a take away, any Uncle Sams pretty much does it for me but the garlic burger is the BIZZO!

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
You do NOT have to put in egg yolk (or the other myth is that you need breadcrumbs to bind).

Any homemade burger will stay together as long as you chill it first (10 minutes in the freezer will do the trick.)

my favourite burger recipe is

mince,
onion
chopped fresh chilli
cumin
parsley,
oregano
salt/pepper
with a large piece of mozzarella in the middle that melts when cooked.

burger aside the rest has to be...

good bread (french, ciabbatta or bun - not fussy)
english mustard
gherkin
tomato
red onion
home made ketchup
big bowl of home made chips.

:bowdown:
good post

I'd consider swapping the mozzy rella for a mature cheddar mind

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I was going to make a big pot of sausage and tomato pasta for my tea today, now I am starting to wish it was home made burgers instead!

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I was going to make a big pot of sausage and tomato pasta for my tea today, now I am starting to wish it was home made burgers instead!

Can't beat home made ones or the ones from a respectable butcher

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I am rather keen to try one of these Southwick Square burgers, you do give a mouthwateringly good description for them, they sound rather delicious. It would also save me the need to go to the pub.

Do I need to wear camo gear and take my shotgun to ward off Southwick [toy] Soldiers? :hilton:
I would recommend carrying a small flick-knife or perhaps a can of "Silly String" to squirt in their eye, should you be approached by one of Southwicks pre-pubescent paramilitia.
Is Southwick Square that shopping area just up from Southwick Station?
Yes. Yes it is.
You will find the butchers (imaginatively named 'Southwick Meats') nestling on the South side of the "square" (which is just a road really), almost opposite a branch of Forfars.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I would recommend carrying a small flick-knife or perhaps a can of "Silly String" to squirt in their eye, should you be approached by one of Southwicks pre-pubescent paramilitia.

Perhaps I should take a photo of my multi choked 12 bore to show the young boys, that should scare them off.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Perhaps I should take a photo of my multi choked 12 bore to show the young boys, that should scare them off.

I'd have thought taking along your multi-choked 12 bore to show them would be slightly more effective than showing them a photo of it.

What is a "multi-choked 12 bore" anyway ? I know its a shotgun, but whats all this choking business ?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
I'd have thought taking along your multi-choked 12 bore to show them would be slightly more effective than showing them a photo of it.

What is a "multi-choked 12 bore" anyway ? I know its a shotgun, but whats all this choking business ?

Choking is a way of reducing the diameter of the end of the barrel (or barrels) of a shotgun to change the size of the shot pattern. This in turn allows you to choose your shells appropriately to suit the targets you are shooting.

For example, if you are shooting Skeet, or DTL or similar targets which are quite close to you and moving at speed, than it is best to use a wider choke and use a smaller guage of shot, thus increasing your chance of hitting the target, which should break quite easily as it is close.

With targets that are further away, typically English Sporting, then you really need a tighter choke combined with larger shot and even a heavier powder load, the targets are further away and the shot needs a tight pattern and plenty of power to ensure the target breaks. It's all down to the distance away the target is and ensureing the shot, when it reaches the target, still has enough power and a tight enough pattern to break the target.

For those who shoot game or rough, they tend to use quite a tight choke, larger shot and heavier loads to ensure a clean kill. (You don't want your Grouse or Rabbit to hobble off into the woods cos you only injured it).

I trust that clears that up.

Now then, back to burgers!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Choking is a way of reducing the diameter of the end of the barrel (or barrels) of a shotgun to change the size of the shot pattern. This in turn allows you to choose your shells appropriately to suit the targets you are shooting.

For example, if you are shooting Skeet, or DTL or similar targets which are quite close to you and moving at speed, than it is best to use a wider choke and use a smaller guage of shot, thus increasing your chance of hitting the target, which should break quite easily as it is close.

With targets that are further away, typically English Sporting, then you really need a tighter choke combined with larger shot and even a heavier powder load, the targets are further away and the shot needs a tight pattern and plenty of power to ensure the target breaks. It's all down to the distance away the target is and ensureing the shot, when it reaches the target, still has enough power and a tight enough pattern to break the target.

For those who shoot game or rough, they tend to use quite a tight choke, larger shot and heavier loads to ensure a clean kill. (You don't want your Grouse or Rabbit to hobble off into the woods cos you only injured it).

I trust that clears that up.

Now then, back to burgers!

Ahh, interesting.
What kind of choke diameter would you recommend for (say) a Southwick Soldier, moving away from you at speed, at about 50 yards ?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Ahh, interesting.
What kind of choke diameter would you recommend for (say) a Southwick Soldier, moving away from you at speed, at about 50 yards ?

I'd probably use Improved Cylinder (IC), which is one up from a skeet choke, with a size 8 shot and a 28 gram load. I quite like an RC Prestige shell at the moment, goes through the gun very cleanly, no jams, but they are getting pricey these days (£183 per thousand) so might have to look at something just as fast but a bit cheaper, Blue Diamonds go well.

Back to the burgers, whatever your choice of meat, get yourselves some St. John and Dolly Smith's Tomato and Scotch Bonnet sauce, just delicious. Link Here for Tomato and Scotch Bonnet sauce

They sell it in Grapes, just off Montague Street in Worthing.

**Please note, this is all in jest, I am a responsible person and would never take my weapon out inappropriately in a public place**

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Oh, to answer your question properly, the bore of a 12 bore is 0.729" (18.5mm), the Improved Cylinder takes it down 5 thou

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here