Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is your "I was there" Albion occasion?

Maverick

Jun 1, 2011
Hereford away and i still wont forget the tosser who kept climbing up fencing and getting in the way, just being a general pain in the arse to everyone, guess who got robbie reinalts boots at the end??

Knightsworld

Aug 19, 2003
WSU, just below the seagull.
Friday 5th February 1999 at the Vetch Field, I was there as well, ended up 2--2 :thumbsup:

That was the night Micky Bennett got attacked (or attempted) by some pissed up woman swinging a handbag around, she came from one of the side stands. VERY hostile atmosphere all night, didn't help us getting that late equaliser.

Enjoyable evening!

Gangsta

Jul 6, 2003
Withdean
Being benind the away dugout at a pre-season friendly at Bognor, when McGhee sent on El Abd with instructions to kick up in the air a Bognor player that had just given McGhee a mouthful.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
For me, it's Newcastle away in 1979. Just a great day from start to finish.

Seeing all 3 Wembley appearances comes close (though not so much the replay), and Highbury 1983 was another cracking all round day.

The "We're f*cking brilliant" Posh away game was pretty awesome, too.

Many other great days over the years, but I was sadly missing for Hereford, Fans United, last Goldstone game, etc.

rdigs24

Southampton seagull
Jan 21, 2012
Southampton
So many really, Wembley against Notts County - obviously not the correct result but as a young boy watching Brighton play at Wembley was really special. Bristol City at Cardiff was obviously amazing also.

I can't decide on my number one moment though between two games. One is the play off semi win against Swindon - the monsoon weather, the last kick minute equaliser, the chances Swindon (Mooney) missed, winning on penalties - it was just an incredible night.

My other game was the 3.1 win at St Marys. I know not many other fans will feel the same but I had waited years for that result! Growing up in Southampton supporting Brighton was not easy when they were in the top division and we were almost going out of the league. Drinking in town before and all the Saints fans were so so confident they were going to thrash us - they were on form and we had been dire. We played superbly and won comfortably in front of the TV cameras and the fact it was Gus' first match also made it that bit more special. The celebrations and drinks afterwards were thoroughly enjoyable and the whole day was just pretty great for me.
This. I live in Southampton too. was sat in the home end with my 5 yr old at his first game. Had to sit On my hands as the first two Murray goals went in right infront of us.

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
Gerry Armstrong head butting a supporter at Southwick after being sent off

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Brighton 1-5 Millwall @ Pissfield

Could have been the most depressing evening there ever was but for some dark humour amongst the support. Outnumbered by Millwall.

Same. Was one of about 900 in attendance for the JPT game. We took the lead through Jamie Moralee (though it went in off the bar from a yard out) and then things went quite poorly.

Definitely the 'hardiest' I've felt watching the Albion.

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
A few of mine:

Hereford away is THE one for me.

Some others

Fans United
Hereford home.
Wilkins goal against Ipswich.
York City at home '96 and the rearranged one.
Lincoln City at home,
Mansfield, not one of the 1933
Beckhams Debut.
Whitesides Debut.
V Bristol Rovers Sneaky Goerge.
Liverpool away, 2-2 with FG.
Liverpool home 3-3 in the rain.
Arundel away, friendly, sat behind Wardy and BZ, the day before Bobby signed for Spurs.
Doncaster home 2011

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Not easy but from

27.4.1996 H v York when we said enough was enough and got the game abandoned
THAT match at Hereford
The first league game at Withdean
The first league game at the Amex
The Play off second leg win v Swindon at Withdean
The play off second leg win at a friendly Old Den!
The play off final win v Bristol City (the day after getting married - what a weekend that was!)
83 cup run and final

I have to go for Hereford away, I still think if we had lost then we would not be at the Amex today.

Loadicus Trux

Jan 12, 2012
I have followed the mighty stripes for over 32 years, and the memories of the lows and the highs are vivid, but for me, going to Anfield in '83 and turning them over will always be my favourite memory. We were given absolutely no chance, but we did it.

Three things about the day I will always remember, the Kop clapping Jimmy Melia and Jimmy Case at the end, Bamber winning a massive amount at the bookies and two policemen on horses outside laughing. When asked why they were so happy when we had just knocked them out of the cup, they replied "we're Everton fans mate."

Priceless.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You bastard. I'd nearly managed to erase that "I was there" day from my memory until you posted that :down:
Nope these are the memories you need to keep hold of, esp when we slot in our 6th against Palace, to move above them.
Sat in your comfy seat, with a nice post pie & pint glow:-

'Ahhhh Kingstonian, what a journey'.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It's funny that quite a few have mentioned the "win" in the second leg against Swindon. A fantastic end result in the penalties, but on the day we LOST!

Feb 3, 2013
I was at Cardiff for the play off final,
I was at the last game at withdean
The first game at the Amex
And the arsenal recently at the cup
I was only just born when we were at the goldstone

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Supporting the Albion started for me in 1969, too many great moments so here are just a few:
Irvine's diving head v A.V.
1-1 Rochdale promoted
Cloughie's 1st match
Ward's 1st goal and too many great ones after to mention.
All of the home games under Mullery in the march to the 1st div(stand out the 7 2nd half goals v Walsall)
Newcastle 3-1
The semi at Highbury and the Final
The promotions in the most successful period in the club's history(2 really standout moments,1-0 v Cheaterfield, Virgo's last min. header)
The Amex
Supporting the blue and white has never been without great moments and will only get better.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Hereford away and i still wont forget the tosser who kept climbing up fencing and getting in the way, just being a general pain in the arse to everyone, guess who got robbie reinalts boots at the end??

I remember that tool :ohmy: Surprised no-one whalloped him, perhaps if we'd lost someone would have done.

Back to the thread, Hereford away then I reckon Donnie at home (last game Goldstone, first game Amex). I would also like to put forward, a bit randomly, but Blackpool away midweek 2001 during the petrol crisis.

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
I've been to all of the games mentioned so far since 1990, but for me the best single moment was McShane goal againt Palace. Yes there have been far more important goals, games and events, but I have never gone as ape shit as i did at that moment.

I couldn't really enjoy Hereford and the Play off games due to feeling sick with nerves

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
Longford......fight , game abandoned , tour abandoned .......the rest of the trip was just an alcohol fuelled blur !!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here