Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is your "I was there" Albion occasion?

Stand or Fall

Feb 13, 2013
Great question. I was only a kid at the time but I think "I was there moment" would have to be the Mansfield boycott - sneaking the East Stand before they shut the gates. I'd never been in the East stand before (nor (obviously) did I ever get back in). Great memories.

My most memorable game, however, would have to be the March 08, 1997 game that ended Albion 4 - Leyton Orient 4. I was only 11 and was a game that shredded every nerve in my body - a crazy back and forth scoreline, a classic North Stand atmosphere, and a pitch invasion that almost cost two points (two points that would, of course, have been fatal). And in the end it was the last game that I ever attended at the Goldstone.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Gerry Armstrong head butting a supporter at Southwick after being sent off

Good call - what was the attendance at Old Barn Way that day? We were regular Wickers / Albion fans at the time and so this game was perfect for us. I seem to remember the reserves playing Southwick every couple of years at the time.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
May 77 Brighton v Sheff Weds 33,000 gate, but Bamber probably didn't declare several 000 more. Heaving terraces and a promotion or thereabouts.

May 79 away at Newcastle with 10,000 other Albion.

May 2009 Withdean - Slade's miracle culminated in the Stockport win and stayed up.

April 2011 Withdean - Dagenham, promotion party.

August 2011 Doncaster game. Was already a momentus day, but the classy Buckley made it heaven like.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
At the Millennium Stadium after we lifted the trophy and they played 'Rocking all over the World'.

Whenever I hear that song it reminds me of that day!

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Wolverhampton

away midweek game just before christmas

bottom of div 1

wardy bagged a hat trick

circa 500

I WAS THERE!

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
Good call - what was the attendance at Old Barn Way that day? We were regular Wickers / Albion fans at the time and so this game was perfect for us. I seem to remember the reserves playing Southwick every couple of years at the time.

It was a cup match I think. can't remember the competition/attendance . It was quite packed though. I also remember Cooperman also being sent off (Geoff?)

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Boxing day 1957, Home to Fulham, won 3-0 and part of the never to be beaten record crowd of 36700+. Me and my dad were sat on the running track by the South Stand. Don't think health & safety would allow that now!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It was a cup match I think. can't remember the competition/attendance . It was quite packed though. I also remember Cooperman also being sent off (Geoff?)

To Bodian and Cappers, a couple of years later did Southwick FC have a financial problem with their Treasurer, and they fell swiftly down the football pyramid to the natural level again?

aldershot village

Jan 22, 2013
Le Harve 05 2 day's on the piss ,Teargas ,Supermarket Trolley getting the hump and disturbing The Worthing Mulletts Wife while hurling abuse at poor old Carrot Cruncher as i couldn't get into my Hotel room at daft o'clock.:drink:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Hereford away and i still wont forget the tosser who kept climbing up fencing and getting in the way, just being a general pain in the arse to everyone, guess who got robbie reinalts boots at the end??

I remember that tool :ohmy: Surprised no-one whalloped him, perhaps if we'd lost someone would have done.

He posted on here a while ago and he was far from contrite.

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
To Bodian and Cappers, a couple of years later did Southwick FC have a financial problem with their Treasurer, and they fell swiftly down the football pyramid to the natural level again?

I recall Southwick dropping down the leagues around then, but don't think I ever knew the reason

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Nigel Erskine's bare-arsed Klinsmann dive in front of the North Stand will live with me forever.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I was there when Beach Hut got his wallet out and paid for a rail ticket. Brought a tear to my eye and is a moment I'll never forget.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
We played Middlesboro at home in the early 1990's and i was in the SW corner,it was the "Windest" game i have ever known,i genuinely thought that the floodlight could topple and land on the South stand.

Also same season i think

Bristol Rovers on Boxing Day,the "Wettest" game ever,was in the North Stand and it was Rammed,well the top half,as driving rain ment everybody had scuttled to the top of the terracing to stay dry,pitch was ruined after that game.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Hereford will always be the big one that I lay claim to, but a slightly more obscure one that I am proud to say I was at was the 7-1 away win at Chester in 1999 when Zamora scored his first hat-trick.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
The two victories at Anfield stick out for me. Liverpool were nearly invincible at home those days. The 1-0 at Forest as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here