Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is your "I was there" Albion occasion?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
But,for me,my most significant "I was there" moment was Mansfield Town.Being there for the boycott and also there when the gates got kicked in and we took back our club from the scum. Nigel Erskine walking across the pitch (followed by many braver than me) to occupy the Directors box is my greatest I was there Albion moment.

..And it came about (like Fans United) because of this message board (I think it was before it was North Stand Chat, when it was the Albion Campaign Pages). It is my 'I was there moment' too, mainly because I was the humble bod who suggested it in a thread about future protests. BISA then agreed it at their next meeting and organised people to picket the gates etc... Lowest home attendance in the club's history. Even some of the Mansfield fans refused to pay to go in. I loved the fact that the 'storming of the East Terrace' meant we could still watch the game and not give Archer any of our money. Didn't climb up into the directors' box, but did cross the pitch at half time and watched the second half from the West Stand. The reclaiming of the Goldstone Ground. Those days really were pure anarchy, in the best possible sense...

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
When Brighton beat Palace 2-0 in 1976 in front of 33,000 crowd.
First Donny match at the Amex, while still living in Greece. Flew over especially for it.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
During the withdean years when we won the league in 2002, I cannot remember who we played but I remember the pitch invasion afterwards

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Any 'home' game at Gillingham.

This - arguably the clubs darkest hours and the time when the club most needed people to rally round but, quite understandably, many couldn't or wouldn't make the journey out of principle. Nevertheless the 3,000 + souls who did regularly make the 150 mile round trip deserve our respect and recognition as, among many things, their support in adversity now provides a benchmark against which we can see how far we have come today

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013
December 28th 2001, drawing 2-2 with Blackpool away; freezing cold, drunk on Smirnoff Ice, and the whole crowd singing 'Seasiders' at the final whistle. Top moment.

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
Surprised that away at Newcastle to get promoted to Div 1 hasn't got more mentions. It was even brilliant on the motorway with all the cars with blue and white scarves flapping out the windows....

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
There have been quite a few amazing days following the Albion but I would have to say the best is the first game at the amex when Buckley was just about to pull the trigger. It was the culmination of all the letters, marches, protests, everything that we had done in the last 14 years and for me, everything stopped, it seemed to be completely silent in the ground and then the eruption of 22k people going completely mental. I don't think I've had a happier moment supporting the Albion.

100% this.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
So many to choose from, and this is a great thread to read and remember, but if all the worthy mentions above, mine has to be Hartlepool at home in February 1997, aka fans united.

As was said by many on the thread on here dedicated to that game, you really did have to be there to know how extraordinary that day was.

So that is my number one, followed by Hereford, Buckley's debut, Liverpool 83, Wembley 83, Walsall 7-0 and the Mansfield boycott.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
There's been a few but surely none can compare to Hereford - something I could only follow in the media from afar alas. Eveyone who was there will always have my respect.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
But,for me,my most significant "I was there" moment was Mansfield Town.Being there for the boycott and also there when the gates got kicked in and we took back our club from the scum. Nigel Erskine walking across the pitch (followed by many braver than me) to occupy the Directors box is my greatest I was there Albion moment.

What is yours?

This. Harty on a megaphone rallying the troops, the team 1-0 down before the 'break-in' and coming back to 1-1 roared on by us invading fans who legged it across the pitch from East Terrace to West Stand at half time. For me the real heroes of that day were those Mansfield fans who travelled all the way down for the match, and on hearing about our boycott from those of us standing around outside the Goldstone joined us in refusing to go into the match - an incredible, incredible gesture.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
There have been about 50 but I choose Garry Nelson's goal at Brentford because a relatively small number saw it. I just remember the way he beat the entire Brentford team twice, went on a mazy run that included the directors' car park and the hard shoulder of the M4 before buying a burger in the away stand concourse and unleashing a 100 yard shot from the left wing into the far side of the net.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Actually done all of the 'had to be there games' apart from Fans Utd game as was working abroad, but the stand out game for me was the second fans Utd game v Donny at Gillingham as it was the first game I could take my son, who is sadly as mad fan as me now. By the way the game was as poor as any I have ever seen. Just a quick comment about Hereford, simply the hardest 90 mins of my life, felt every emotion going, anger, sadness, hated, relief. Hey Cardiff the other night was quite special as well.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Hereford 97.

As far as I am concerned, still the most important game in the Albion's history.

In 55 years of supporting the Albion I have been fortunate to attend nearly all the significant games mentioned on this thread.

Tears were shed at some of them, in joy or sorrow, but TLO is right, Hereford was a watershed in the history of our club. So much bad happened before it and so much good after it, but that one game, that one goal, still bring shivers and a lump in the throat.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
:D
There have been about 50 but I choose Garry Nelson's goal at Brentford because a relatively small number saw it. I just remember the way he beat the entire Brentford team twice, went on a mazy run that included the directors' car park and the hard shoulder of the M:D4 before buying a burger in the away stand concourse and unleashing a 100 yard shot from the left wing into the far side of the net.

Brilliant

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
Liverpool FA Cup in '84
Peterboro away FA Cup in '85
Play Off Finals at Wembley and Cardiff
Plymouth when we won the title
Palace away 2005
Tottenham at the Amex ..................... these are all my most memorable "I was there" games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here