Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is your "I was there" Albion occasion?

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Emotional wringer - Hereford (still shiver at the memory)
Joyous emotion - Spurs then Donny at Amex
Very sad & still uncertain - Donny at Goldstone
Unbelivable/Euphoria - Peterborough away 2010
Togetherness - Hull 2-0 away with nine men (keeping them out at our end)
Shattered young dreams - 0-8 at Northampton

I was the ONLY one there (LOOK AT ME) - Shrewsbury away 1972, travelled by train from Manchester, walked to ground to find a small chalk board with "Match Postponed - Waterlogged". No internet or even Seagull Line in those days. (Returned a few weeks later to win 5-3)

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
Most definitely Donny first game at the Amex, such an emotional experience, I had my missus and two boys with me and I was so choked up I couldn't talk, that was the day I knew from the look on their faces that my two young sons would never ever support another team for the rest of their lives!

Other notable games were the FA Cup Semi at Highbury, I was almost level with Jimmy Case as he leathered the ball into the net and went mental. At home to Ipswich when Wendy scored the winner:

Go to 8min 20 secs for the key moment :albion2:, I'd love to know if any of those matchday mascots post on here?!

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
Doesn't get better than Rod Thomas scoring the winner in a 3-2 (Hartlepool I think?) at the Priestfield. Ah... Division 3.....

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The "We want Falmer" sit in after the Wycombe Wanderers game.
"We are the Falmer ...... Wanters!"

I still occasionally when taking my seat in West stand Upper, stop and take a good look round and it still takes my breath away. I don't think I will ever take it for granted.

Almost every match I look out from my seat and find myself thinking this is amazing.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
I'm surprised no ones mentioned 2009's great escape?

For me:

Leyton Orient 4-4

Wigan 1-0 2nd last game Goldstone (didn't make the last)

Brighton v Doncaster fans united at the Preistfield

Mansfield 6-0 first game back.

Cardiff play off final.

Chesterfield, Danny Cullip 1-0

Swindon Play offs, Virgo

McShane/own goal vs Palace

Nicky Forster securing survival.

Albion whipping Charlton at the Valley in Gus Poyets first season. Signs of what was to come.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Most significant for me was the Fans United day as it is was the game that started me down the road to becoming an Albion fan.

Most amazing day, the opening Amex game against Donny, my favourite live sporting event ever.

The most surreal game, Swindon 2nd leg, still can't believe we won that game.

So surreal that you didn't realise that we LOST! It only went to penalties because the "away goal rule" didn't apply, so it was just 2-2 on aggregate.

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
Doesn't get better than Rod Thomas scoring the winner in a 3-2 (Hartlepool I think?) at the Priestfield. Ah... Division 3.....

Was there for that. Rod Thomas was fantastic and bought by the fans.

Also Wendy free kick against Ipswich, followed by Millwall 4-1 at home, 1-2 away and then Notts County at Wembley

Beating Portsmouth at home at the Goldstone with 2 goals after 90 minutes when 0-1 down

The last and first against Doncaster

Palace away 0-1 and Paul McShane header

Fans United

York at home. Abandoned

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Donny at The Amex will be the one I think, as my kids will tell their kids that I was there for the opener, and hopefully they will tell their kids, and they will tell their kids....you get my drift...

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
For me 1991 Brighton 2-0 down and on Bryan wade scores 4 on his debut - all good goals - one a stunning header . We won 4-2 - he scored the next weekend and then disappeared from the team . His achievement remains only matched by four others and not recorded and like him his achievement is not recognised or recorded .

Jesse Lingarde Birmingham - the most recent
Micky Quinn Newcastle - who also scored in the same game as Bryan Wade
Ian Lawson Burnley
Arthur Milne - Dundee United

So all hail to Bryan Wade - effectively a world record holder and also the only one to score all four goals when their team was losing .

And the second one 4-4 v Leyton Orient - hail the " Brighton One " - he went to prison for attacking Ray Wilkins . Was ther ever a greater drama in football ?

And lastly Hereford which needs no description .

So that's mine - will there be more like that now ?

I hope so
Were

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Watching training in the 70s at Waterhall, getting a lift back to the Goldstone in Gary Williams' Ford Capri. I was there.

I like this.
I got a lift to Waterhall to watch the team training from Alan Mullery in the 70s, me and a mate used to watch the team training at Hove Rec but they changed the training to Waterhall and Alan offered to give us a lift, we did not get a lift back, and wasn't sure how to get back to central Brighton.
I think Mullers was driving an Audi back then.

But my "I was there" Albion occasion was Hereford.

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
Many I have attended, but probably the first with my entire family (6) n the old West Stand v Reading on 29 March 1970 when I became an Albion fan within 90 minutes having previously been a Spurs fan.
My Reading supporting dad bought 6 tickets from a tout and it kinda backfired big time.
In 2012 onwards, my bro, his three kids and I are STH's in the 1901 and North. That makes 4, plus my 80 year old Mum who loves the AmEx but not all the steps, before discovering the lift !
Thank you Reading and super sub Alan Duffy for the win.
My Mum is always convinced (wrongly) her first game was Torquay in the game of the new 1990/91 season - ''I rememember, Toruay wore yellow. All I can remember wa a dull 0-0 draw.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
For me 1991 Brighton 2-0 down and on Bryan wade scores 4 on his debut - all good goals - one a stunning header . We won 4-2 - he scored the next weekend and then disappeared from the team . His achievement remains only matched by four others and not recorded and like him his achievement is not recognised or recorded .

Jesse Lingarde Birmingham - the most recent
Micky Quinn Newcastle - who also scored in the same game as Bryan Wade
Ian Lawson Burnley
Arthur Milne - Dundee United

So all hail to Bryan Wade - effectively a world record holder and also the only one to score all four goals when their team was losing .

And the second one 4-4 v Leyton Orient - hail the " Brighton One " - he went to prison for attacking Ray Wilkins . Was ther ever a greater drama in football ?

And lastly Hereford which needs no description .

So that's mine - will there be more like that now ?

I hope so
Were

The Newcastle match wasn't Wade's debut was it? Didn't he play (and score) at Wolves a few days earlier?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Huddersfield away 7-1 defeat
Walsall home 0-1 defeat (against 9 men)

These two alone give me my place at the pantheon of football, the theatre of queens.

Both of those.

Zamora's superb strike & Kuipers double save at Wolves.
McShane at Selhurst
Cardiff away for the last two seasons
Bristol Rovers & Hereford with Slade in the great escape
Every one of the 8 out of 8 wins in March 2011
Gary Hart's first goal at the Amex
Donny game 2011
Beating Chelsea 3-1 2012
Playing PSG in Portugal

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here