Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is your "I was there" Albion occasion?

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
Barnet away. I have never stood in rain like it. It rained so ****ing much that the denim from my jeans stained my legs. When we got back to the pub after my packet of marlboro lights were saturated. My hair was so wet that it was the first time people told me that I had a bald patch on the top of my head! It was miserable! we were shit and we lost 3-0. But I remember it and don't ever regret for one minute being there.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Newcastle away, winning 3-1 to gain promotion to Div One and running on the pitch at the end to ask Nobby Horton for his shirt only to receive a polite no.

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
Newcastle away, winning 3-1 to gain promotion to Div One and running on the pitch at the end to ask Nobby Horton for his shirt only to receive a polite no.

Last game at Withdean "O Gary Hart"was coming on for his last game and threw his training top down on the touch line,H block end, and me and a steward had agreed it was mine when we invaded the pitch.
Some Knob of a photographer picked it up with about 30 seconds to go.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
83 cup run except Newcastle away
Every top flight home game plus a few away
Last game at goldstone
Few at Gillingham
1st at Withdean and last and many inbetween

Every home game at the Amex.

Historically 2 - 0 v Liverpool on a chilly 1984 Sunday afternoon in the FA cup.

Recently the goalfests v Burnley, Huddersfield and Blackpool this season, the first and last of which I hope will have encouraged the next generation of Pottings to become fellow sufferers.

...An v Palace on Friday, via "Sky"!

Paddington Gal

May 7, 2013
My 18th birthday away to leister bambi on ice munday goal was one of my favs

Unbelievable, spent my 18th birthday on a trip to Leicester 23rd September 1978. The coach I was on sang happy birthday dear seagull for half the journey up there. Good night out in Luton on way home.

slartibartfast

Sep 11, 2004
Henfield
Only came to Brighton in 91....

SO my "I was there" moments are since then:

- Munday scoring v Southend to win the game in 92, when a sit in on the pitch protest had been organised.
- FAns United v Hartlepool, in the fog (we thought it might be abandoned, as the goals kept going in)
- 4-4 draw with Leyton Orient in 97... best game Ive ever seen live, it had everything!
- 1-0 v Donny 97 - I was outside - it was all ticket and I didn't have one - went with my little boy to Hove Park play area during the match to "listen to the crowd" ....
- Mansfield 97 - stood in HOve Park whilst the boycott went on... did not go into the match.
- Mansfield 99 - The 6-0 ! Season ticket holder from the first day at Withdean....
- Cheaterfield 01 - THAT Cullip header at the railway end.
- Swindon 04 - THAT Virgo header at the railway end.
- Play off final 04 - Heck yeah!! Behind the goal where Iwelumo went down, and Leon scored the pen....
- Dag and Redbridge 11 - that crazy 4-3 that clinched promotion ..
and so many many more

Lets hope tomorrow is one of those!!!

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
'63/4? - the Bobby Smith season
absolutely tonking Southend & Wisbech, in the space of a couple of weeks
Leatherhead in the cup & stuffings by eight goals v Northampton & Bristo
promotion to Division 1 :) then our first game v Arsenal :(
Wembley cup final (twice) v Man U
Hereford
staying up under salde & going up under Gus @ Walsall
Cardiff play off final (and Cardiff last season & this!)
the first 20 minutes against blackburn last week

got to be loads of others - the kids keep telling me how sad I am when I regale them with stories about Wally Gould & Kit Napier, Ward & Zamora........... :thumbsup:
First was promotion 1958....but have to agree that the 'Bobby Smith 'season (64) was fantastic....104 goals ...all 5 forwards hit double figures and reserve forward...(Cassidy) did as well...really great season.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I played on most Saturdays from 1979 to 1996 so most of mine are pretty recent.

Last game at The Goldstone

Any game at Gillingham

Zamora's volley against Halifax in 00/01

Leon Knight scoring that goal at Rushden & Diamonds in 03/04

Chris iwelumo's screamer at Chesterfield on a Tuesday night

Swindon at home

Bas Savage - orient and Hartlepool away spring to mind.

Donny in 2011

Vicente

I love this football club

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I am crap at the years but memorable games and moments for me were;
Keith Cuss heading the ball into the stand behind him at the Goldstone.
At Sheffield United, after having been 3-0 down then 4-3 up, losing 5-4.
Perry Digweed getting a kick in the nuts, coiled in pain for five minutes, played on for ten minutes, until blood started to run down his leg.
Doug Rougvie heading the ball back to the Gillingham keeper from inside his own half after a goal kick.
Swindon play off semi at Withdean.
A Ref called Prosser giving Stoke a win at Withdean.
5 penalty kicks game at Smellhurst.
Brian Wade scoring four (on his debut?) at the Goldstone against Newcastle
Away at Newcastle winning 2-0, from the only two attempts we had on goal and defending more than 20 corners.
Kevin Bremner in his pants celebrating promotion.
Donny at the Amex for the opener.

This trip into the past has reminded me how much I miss the terraces.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I haven't done the glory, no wembley or cardiff trips for me, no promotion clinchers, no play-off games, no hereford away or last game at the goldstone (obviously not glory but you know what I mean). I think my Brighton supporting history can be summed up by the fact I've done Rochdale away more than any other ground. Fans United and Donny at the Amex were the two best games.

But I was there when Munday scored from the half-way line at Leicester. I was there when David Cameron was '****ing useless' at Hull. I was there when the burger fan burnt down at Cheltenham. I was there when we came back from 2-0 down at Brum to almost beat them and I was there when we marched through Leyton after beating Orient on the way to the 3rd division title. I was at Donny for our 17th away defeat in a row but not there when we beat Hartlepool the week after. I saw us lose to Macclesfield in our first ever meeting at Moss Rose but didn't go down the road to see us put seven past Chester one year later. I was there when we went bottom of the football league and I was also there when we lost 5-0 to Palace :(

Its been rather fun.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Hereford. Nothing else mattered more than those 90 minutes

While I agree, like the OP I just couldn't face it. It helped that I had just moved in with my girlfriend and she put up with me pacing the bedroom for 2 hours solid. She's now my wife :thumbsup:

So the "I was there" moments were the obvious Fans Utd and York City games. Putting 6 past Mansfield at the first league game back in Brighton and afterwards weeing next to Mickey Adams in the Nelson and Donny at home.

More obscure were an away day at Ipswich in the early 90s where we won to pick up our first away points that season, having been dreadful in all our other aways and getting tonked 5-0 at Norwich in the simod cup thingy on my 18th birthday. There were about 30 of us there and we did the conga wearing Norwich City knickers on our heads!

Last edited:

ROCHDALE AT HOME 34,000+
Cloughs first game
walton and hersham away
walton hersham home
bristol rovers 8-2
leatherhead at home
peter ward début hereford away
pretty much all palace games 70's 80's including stamford bridge
southend a ipswich a west brom a derby a cup run
chesterfield last game of the season
it just goes on and on..........................................:facepalm: