Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is your "I was there" Albion occasion?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Most definitely Donny first game at the Amex, such an emotional experience, I had my missus and two boys with me and I was so choked up I couldn't talk, that was the day I knew from the look on their faces that my two young sons would never ever support another team for the rest of their lives!

Other notable games were the FA Cup Semi at Highbury, I was almost level with Jimmy Case as he leathered the ball into the net and went mental. At home to Ipswich when Wendy scored the winner:

Go to 8min 20 secs for the key moment :albion2:, I'd love to know if any of those matchday mascots post on here?!

Just to confirm the thoughts on the 70s / 80s thread, that's the early 90s v Ipswich and the quality is awful. The amount of times the ball is given away or just humped would make our current FLAIRISTAS weep. When the free kick went in I totally lost it. Barnsley fans were already celebrating the playoffs only for that goal to knock them out. I jumped vertically in the air in the North Stand and somehow ended up on the halfway line of the pitch.* As I was waiting for the inevitable nicking I noticed about 100 other Brighton - maybe more - in the same boat. We made it back to the North Stand and did it again at the end.

*if you're reading, PC Beard, this is just some weird fantasy. Honest.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Who on here went to the first game at Gillingham? I bet that was surreal. I went to plenty up there but I missed the first few.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
When we scored at Hereford it was the best goal celebration by Albion fans I have ever experienced.

I was sat in with the Hereford United fans, so I just watched you guys enjoying it. When the final whistle blew I noticed a little girl nearby in tears, which was really sad, but then I also noticed some blokes nearby, who had been giving it the large, crying too.. I sneaked out with a smug face and slipped into the away end.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I was sat in with the Hereford United fans, so I just watched you guys enjoying it. When the final whistle blew I noticed a little girl nearby in tears, which was really sad, but then I also noticed some blokes nearby, who had been giving it the large, crying too.. I sneaked out with a smug face and slipped into the away end.

Brave man sitting with the Hereford fans, not sure I could have done that.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A strange stat for those at Hereford, Kerry Mayo scored 3 own goals in his career, but we didn't lose any of those 3 games.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
Brave man sitting with the Hereford fans, not sure I could have done that.

I don't remember the whole story, I may have missed our allocation, but Hereford were so slack with their ticketing. I was quizzed about my neutrality by a bloke sitting next to me. I made up some random rubbish about being from Bournemouth and visiting the 92 grounds.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I don't remember the whole story, I may have missed our allocation, but Hereford were so slack with their ticketing. I was quizzed about my neutrality by a bloke sitting next to me. I made up some random rubbish about being from Bournemouth and visiting the 92 grounds.

Ha ha, very good answer saying you were from Bournemouth, quick thinking:clap2:

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Went through it all 1970s and 80s. Mad day at packed Goldstone against Bournemouth 1972, first away game against Portsmouth 1973/74 with rites of passage thingy, Wardy`s first outing at Hereford, League Cup run at West Brom and Notts Forest on the Seagull Specials, Newcastle promotion game after ending up with hundreds of Albion fans in Skegness and cutting drinking short just to get back to Brighton for the celebrations. Most of the 1st Div things. Liverpool 83, Semi-Final and Final + reply. Just a few more - Donny last Goldstone game with my dad and brother. First Amex game Donny (wish my dad was alive to see that, but he was there in spirit I`m sure). Oh and being there at that table at that pub when the Seagull name was born those many years ago. It been quite a ride and I haven`t stopped yet.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
Went through it all 1970s and 80s. Mad day at packed Goldstone against Bournemouth 1972, first away game against Portsmouth 1973/74 with rites of passage thingy, Wardy`s first outing at Hereford, League Cup run at West Brom and Notts Forest on the Seagull Specials, Newcastle promotion game after ending up with hundreds of Albion fans in Skegness and cutting drinking short just to get back to Brighton for the celebrations. Most of the 1st Div things. Liverpool 83, Semi-Final and Final + reply. Just a few more - Donny last Goldstone game with my dad and brother. First Amex game Donny (wish my dad was alive to see that, but he was there in spirit I`m sure). Oh and being there at that table at that pub when the Seagull name was born those many years ago. It been quite a ride and I haven`t stopped yet.

I heard many stories about the Seagull name. What exactly happened ?

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
I heard many stories about the Seagull name. What exactly happened ?

Bosun Pub in West Street Brighton 1974 or 1975 (I have to look the exact year up) Christmas time. Just a few friends drinking and talking about how up at Palarse when we played them earlier that season their crowd seemed to get behind them with the chant of eagles. So we decided to come up with something that can get our crowds going. After a few suggestions that didn`t seem right Lee Phillips said `what are those birds down on the beach` and someone said Seagulls, or it could have been someone said what are those birds on the beach and Lee said Seagulls, my mind is playing tricksat this time of night, like I said I have to look it up and post it later.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
8 goals away from home in a few days in '89

Sheff U (l 5-4) only time I'll ever see Albion come back from 3-0 down to lead 4-3
Wolves (w 4-2)

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
I remember a game, when we were playing at the Preistfield, where a pigeon managed to stay in the penalty box throughout a large chunk of the 2nd half, which included a penalty and a fair few corners and free kicks.
By the end of the match, a lot of the crowd behind the goal were actually calling for the pigeon to get man of the match! Sums up the Priestfield days really!
Glad I got to see the lowest times too.

Last edited:

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
Bosun Pub in West Street Brighton 1974 or 1975 (I have to look the exact year up) Christmas time. Just a few friends drinking and talking about how up at Palarse when we played them earlier that season their crowd seemed to get behind them with the chant of eagles. So we decided to come up with something that can get our crowds going. After a few suggestions that didn`t seem right Lee Phillips said `what are those birds down on the beach` and someone said Seagulls, or it could have been someone said what are those birds on the beach and Lee said Seagulls, my mind is playing tricksat this time of night, like I said I have to look it up and post it later.

Thanks for the insight, I would have been to young to be aware of it. I do rather like the name 'The Dolphins' although not so keen on the 'Shrimps' !

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hereford as the most important.

The one I enjoyed the most was the 1-2 at Anfield in the FA Cup. I only went because I knew we wouldn't be playing there again for a while as I thought relegation was nailed on. I went expecting nothing. I think Liverpool were undefeated at home in any cup game, including European games for about 25 years. I have never been more surprised by a Brighton win. We were even applauded off the pitch by quite a few of the Liverpool fans. The game had everything, an unlikely lead, the inevitable goal to pull Liverpool back into the game and then the instant response of another Albion goal. A missed penalty by Liverpool and the jubilation from the travelling Albion fans, all of whom were as shocked and thrilled as me I imagine. It really was an IMMENSE result given the force that Liverpool were in those days.

Bizarrely I enjoyed that game more than the promotion clincher at Newcastle.

Pleased to say I was at plenty, if not most, of the games mentioned on this thread.

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Who on here went to the first game at Gillingham? I bet that was surreal. I went to plenty up there but I missed the first few.

Orient? Midweek? Very weird.
We went to Swansea the week before, we wore red kit, we lost.

I remember a game, when we were playing at the Preistfield, where a pigeon managed to stay in the penalty box throughout a large chunk of the 2nd half, which included a penalty and a fair few corners and free kicks.
By the end of the match, a lot of the crowd behind the goal were actually calling for the pigeon to get man of the match! Sums up the Priestfield days really!

Yes, I remember that, don't think the pigeon ever came into danger the entire time.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

That's reminded me of the game at Withers where a squirrel beat Nathan Jones (I think it was) in a race down the flanks :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here