Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is your "I was there" Albion occasion?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Shrewsbury away in the JPT area semi-final. I still have my ticket stub, so that I get better priority for our inevitable Wembley appearance...

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
All the key moments back to the mid 70's, but for sheer emotion, the Doncaster Amex opener was right up there..... grown men with tears flowing all round me,..... was terrific in my view.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
My "I was NOT there" moment:

Donny '97.

Had a ticket (North Stand 'U16' for £4), and flogged it to a kid at school for £30. Regretted it almost immediately.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
[ But,for me,my most significant "I was there" moment was Mansfield Town.Being there for the boycott and also there when the gates got kicked in and we took back our club from the scum. Nigel Erskine walking across the pitch (followed by many braver than me) to occupy the Directors box is my greatest I was there Albion moment.

What is yours?[/QUOTE]

This too, you never really knew what to expect at games during this period, but you did know something incredible was going to happen, usually with humour and great meaning attached, every game, the anticipation of going was so exciting.
Not forgetting the cause and troubles at hand, and the pretty poor football / squad on show in comparison to our highs, think this was ironically the most enjoyable period in my Albion supporting life, and I have not missed many big moments since the late seventies.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
But,for me,my most significant "I was there" moment was Mansfield Town.Being there for the boycott and also there when the gates got kicked in and we took back our club from the scum. Nigel Erskine walking across the pitch (followed by many braver than me) to occupy the Directors box is my greatest I was there Albion moment.

What is yours?

This was one of mine, breaking into the ground was quite something, and I never thought for one moment what the consequences of doing it could be, more worried what the consequenses of not doing it. Add to that the mass exit, lying down in the middle of the OSR, Fans United, a lot of things went on at that time.

Hereford 97.

As far as I am concerned, still the most important game in the Albion's history.

And that is probably how I feel too, that was the number one for me. We bought our tickets well in advance of the game as we were planning a weekend away with friends who lived in Cheltenham. Hereford were several places above us, and certainly didn't look like they would be in trouble come the end of the season, I even chatted with their ticketing staff about how they thought our form would see us safe, so long as we got a couple of points at away games, I think we had 6 or 7 games to go. How that comment came to haunt them.

Hereford away for me (and the wife) , the most "I was there" moment in Albions history for me.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
[ But,for me,my most significant "I was there" moment was Mansfield Town.Being there for the boycott and also there when the gates got kicked in and we took back our club from the scum. Nigel Erskine walking across the pitch (followed by many braver than me) to occupy the Directors box is my greatest I was there Albion moment.

What is yours?

This too, you never really knew what to expect at games during this period, but you did know something incredible was going to happen, usually with humour and great meaning attached, every game, the anticipation of going was so exciting.
Not forgetting the cause and troubles at hand, and the pretty poor football / squad on show in comparison to our highs, think this was ironically the most enjoyable period in my Albion supporting life, and I have not missed many big moments since the late seventies.[/QUOTE]

Me too. And didn't David Adekola make his one and only appearance that day, after signing from a German club?

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
At Newcastle when we won promotion
Being behind jimmy Case's free kick at high bury,
Mansfield 6-0 first home game back on Brighton soil
Donny first game at Amex
Watching Vicente take on half of derby only to hit cross bar
List goes on and on

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Another one to add to the list of "nice to be there but not very important": @Withers against Halifax when BZ scored that goal.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Definitely Hereford. The play-off win at Cardiff was fun, but I can't see anything coming close to surviving in the football league.

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
Robert Codner nearly bursting the net in front of the away terrace at Hartlepool in the early 90s. If memory serves, there was someone in our end dressed as Mr Blobby.

I admit this one's a bit niche. But still, I was there.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
The "We want Falmer" sit in after the Wycombe Wanderers game. Guy Butters goal against West ham after we had been battered for the whole game, but somehow won.
The first game at the Amex, the look of wow on the face of my nine year old, and the whole day will stay with me forever.

I still occasionally when taking my seat in West stand Upper, stop and take a good look round and it still takes my breath away. I don't think I will ever take it for granted.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Huddersfield away 7-1 defeat
Walsall home 0-1 defeat (against 9 men)

These two alone give me my place at the pantheon of football, the theatre of queens.

Did we get to the cup final in '83?? I wish someone had said.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
And that is probably how I feel too, that was the number one for me. We bought our tickets well in advance of the game as we were planning a weekend away with friends who lived in Cheltenham. Hereford were several places above us, and certainly didn't look like they would be in trouble come the end of the season, I even chatted with their ticketing staff about how they thought our form would see us safe, so long as we got a couple of points at away games, I think we had 6 or 7 games to go. How that comment came to haunt them.

Hereford away for me (and the wife) , the most "I was there" moment in Albions history for me.

That game ran every emotion through me from A-Z and back again.

We'd been shat on, pissed about, taken for mugs, and insulted and ignored.

We rose, we fought, we protested and we won. We deserved better and we got better. As one, we couldn't be beaten - and we weren't. Our reward was a long time coming, but we got there in the end - and was ultimately all worth it.

For me, Hereford was the end of Albion Mk I, and the start of Albion Mk II. The Albion was dead; long live the Albion.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Most significant for me was the Fans United day as it is was the game that started me down the road to becoming an Albion fan.

Most amazing day, the opening Amex game against Donny, my favourite live sporting event ever.

The most surreal game, Swindon 2nd leg, still can't believe we won that game.

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
Thinking further about it, I'd also throw in Donny away in 96-97 and 97-98 - dreadful games but wonderful mutual support among the fans, first time round when we looked doomed with Archer & Bellotti still in post (centre circle sit-in as I recall, backed by Donny fans), support reciprocated by us the following season when they were on their way out of the league and their crooked owner had just tried to burn down the ground for insurance purposes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here