Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What do you dislike most about Brighton?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
The sea. Not its presence but the fact that the visibility is so poor and it's rough too often. There are dozens of decent wrecks off the coast of sussex but it's either too rough to go out, the vis is shite or there's a plankton bloom or some such.
If it were as clear as the waters round the eastern med or Red Sea it would be perfect.

Good grief!

It's the English channel ffs.

I really like Brighton. I work there and I've lived there. But ... sitting as I am, at this moment, in the middle of the fine city of Bristol, I'm reminded that there are other great British cities that can deliver a quality of life that is just as good as anything that Brighton has to offer.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Jason Kitcat

Property prices

Actual seagulls that dive bomb you / poo on you or your car / nick your food

That's probably it TBF. Love the place, love living here.

They are a pain, but that's not specific to Brighton.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I don't live in Brighton, but I love it's vibrancy. However I hate parking in Churchill Square Car Park, not only is the allotted space for cars feckin ridiculous, there are gigantic concrete pillars every other space. All decorated with every shade of car paint.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
I really like Brighton. I work there and I've lived there. But ... sitting as I am, at this moment, in the middle of the fine city of Bristol, I'm reminded that there are other great British cities that can deliver a quality of life that is just as good as anything that Brighton has to offer.

Bristol is meant to be really good at the moment. My aunt moved there from Spain last year, and she really enjoys it.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Bristol is meant to be really good at the moment. My aunt moved there from Spain last year, and she really enjoys it.

Good day/ night out.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I've just read these posts with interest. I'm 35 now, Wodingdean born and bred until 2 years ago. There a lot of thins that I dislike about Brighton, to name a few, the rubbish, weirdos, road infrastructure, public transport, seagulls making a racket at all hours, parking, drunks, addicts, tramps, London road, property prices, cost of living, cost of a pint, west street on weekend nights, the list could be endless.

But it's my town, I still love it in spite of these things. Now living in Burgess Hill I miss the sea, (not the seagulls making a racket at all hours), the quirky ess of it (there's nothing better than sitting outside a pub on a summers day and watching the world go by) I understand Commanders comments previously but it's that eccentricity and variation that I love about it and the fact that every day can be as different as you could want it to be if you know where to look for it....

I was never bored living in Brighton and in some ways want to move back but I can't afford it. As much it frustrates me, I love it, it's part of me and I'll never ever let it go and **** as it can be. But it can also be so so good.

I can't think of another seaside town that can offer what Brighton does, Bournemouth? No thanks, Blackpool? Seriously no Thankyou, Newquay? Been once and rather not again. Brighton has all of the worst problems that any major town/city has but it also has the best that is on offer in such a small geographical area.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
  • The general dirtiness of the City.
  • Parking charges.
  • Property prices.
  • Public transport prices.
  • Crap 'out of centre' shopping areas (Boundary/Portland/Lewes/London Roads).
  • Dog $hit wherever you walk.
  • Idiots that just want to look ridiculous for the sake of looking ridiculous.
  • The abundance of Beggars/Charity Hounders/Big Issue sellers.
  • West Street.
  • The seafront between the West Pier and Lagoon (King Alfred and surrounding derelict area).
  • Traffic/Parking Wardens.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
This. Brighton residents who bang on about it like it's San Francisco or something. Don't get me wrong. It's a decent place. But it's not nearly as desirable as some of the local bores like to think it is.

Agreed and I live here… just walking up Church Road this morning and the streets are a mess.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here