Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What do you dislike most about Brighton?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Lack of exciting and challenging architecture.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I know it is a bit NIMBY, and tourism/retail seem to be our only industries, but it gets my goat when in the summer, Madeira Drive is closed a majority of weekends, and stag/hen do's turn the town centre into a total toilet. The traffic totally nauses it up also, and us locals have trouble getting about :nono: Where are all these people in the winter ???

The traffic is a pain in the butt for sure. Tourism and retail is not an issue if a) they were paid better and b) house prices were reflective of the average local salary. I find it depressing that young people are being forced out due to finances.

I do not want to be too negative though as at times and in places Brighton is a magical city. I have met many many people across Europe who all know and who all talk very positively about the city. You/we are very lucky.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
it has no economy
1,500 new business start ups in the last 2 years, the highest London
Yep, because there are no jobs, people have to start their own businesses.

Indeed. They tend to be people who've never lived anywhere else. Brighton is cool, it's basically a decent town, one of the best in the area. But a lot of its residents seem to think it's some kind of bustling melting pot of a multi-cultural metropolis. It isn't. And parts of it are awful, although it's better than it used to be.
Nowhere is perfect. Where is better?

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
The fact that people think it is cool, is part of the problem.

Too many hooray henry's, alternatives, crusties, communists, environmentalists etc all make brighton a worse place.

The tolerance of travellers by the council despite the damage done to land is another problem. There is not this problem with illegal trespassing in other towns, to the same extent.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Yep, because there are no jobs, people have to start their own businesses.

Nowhere is perfect. Where is better?

Where is better? York for a start. It's a stunning city

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I really like Brighton. I work there and I've lived there. But ... sitting as I am, at this moment, in the middle of the fine city of Bristol, I'm reminded that there are other great British cities that can deliver a quality of life that is just as good as anything that Brighton has to offer.

Fair point. I like Bristol. In some respects it's a bit more 'Brighton' than Brighton itself.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Fair point. I like Bristol. In some respects it's a bit more 'Brighton' than Brighton itself.

It ain't bad the main problem it will always have is the central parts are split up by a huge three lane roundabout (like the Old Steine to some extent but unlike the OS in completely the wrong place)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Bit boring for my tastes. Bit cold and wet too. Is it very cosmopolitan?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I can think of a number of places which are really desirable and compete with Brighton but I must admit York does not feature. What do you like about it? What makes it stunning?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I can think of a number of places which are really desirable and compete with Brighton but I must admit York does not feature. What do you like about it? What makes it stunning?

The stone wall around the city. Cobbled streets, the river that runs through the city. The architecture and history of the place. Oh and the people. Sorry but York is a nicer looking city than Brighton.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The stone wall around the city. Cobbled streets, the river that runs through the city. The architecture and history of the place. Oh and the people. Sorry but York is a nicer looking city than Brighton.

No need to apologize. I was just curious.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
After spending over a year in the wilderness that is Surrey I am very much looking forward to moving back to Brighton in the next few months. Spend a few months in crappy nothing towns like Molesey, Kingston, Cobham etc and you too will be pining for Sussex by the sea again, I assure you. There is just nowhere quite like it.

For example, I've just been out strolling trying to find somewhere open to get a paper. There is one place open at the end of town that was sold out. Hardly anybody on the streets, a few Mums and families in a restaurant. Dull as all hell. There'll be a few middle class twits in Hunters walking their Labradors by the river but they'll all be ugly as ****. Dead.

Sundays in Brighton are great and more often than not there'll be some marra's in a pub somewhere on a Sunday evening. Being self employed and living in Surrey is a mistake I won't be repeating.

Last edited:

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
spent many really enjoyable years around hove and 7-dials.....but looking back i can now clearly see it is a dirty, smelly, sh1thole, with really poor facilties......and to top it off.....uber cool rich types thinking it's amazing....probably after a line of coke and glass of wine, after a barbie on hove lawns.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here