Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What do you dislike most about Brighton?

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Smuggery
West Street
People who go down West Street
The terminally constipated staff at Infinity Foods
Those protestors who ruin everyone's day by needlessly intimidating people near Waitrose on Satdis
Idiots shooting their mouth off round the North Laine after midnight
The collective black hole of common sense
Trying to walk through town at any speed on a weekend
The Marina
The almost total incompetence of the council as an administration (staff are generally trying their best)
The profligacy of trendy Sushi bars
Budgens
Street Diner and all the pop-up stuff aimed at vacuous morons
Waterhall
The moment Praise You gets played at Falmer. If it was Acid 8000 we would never lose
Out-of-towners who aren't northern
People who bang on about how diverse Brighton is while being demonstrably narrow-minded and intolerant
The Fudge Shop
Everything on the pier except hockey
The inexorably long, occasionally dangerous walk to Concorde2
The bloody wheel
Pool Valley
Groups of local "lads"/tossers from London cluttering the seafront bars drinking Strongbow
That bit around the Pitcher and Piano and the stripclub which is like a mini West Street whirlwind of aggression
The Market Diner, buffet places and all the other culinary chav traps
Pretentious, up-themselves local bands. In fact, every local band except Fujiya and Miyagi
That clothes shop that's replaced Rounder Records. Sums everything up that's wrong (which isn't really much. I just miss Rounder)
"Live" bus times. About as reliable as one's cock after a crate of stella and a bucket of grease
The council's inability to provide a safe route to Braypool
Hipsters. Tarquins with side partings and yellow trousers. The vast proportion of the population who can be summarised by LCD Soundsystem's Losing my Edge
People standing around taking endless photos of the beach/pier/sun, as if it's never been there before and they're the first people to notice it
The Brighton Centre
The Post Office at Churchill Square
The poor sods in the Apple shop who are trained to talk like American robots and say "peace" every other minute
The increasing number of sad-eyed homeless people and food banks
Nando's
Birdman/dog on the skateboard
Gormless gaggles gazing at the graffiti down Kensington Street as if it was the Sistine Chapel
Pickpockets on the seafront

Yes, but apart from that?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The poor sods in the Apple shop who are trained to talk like American robots and say "peace" every other minute

Are there people who really say that? If a shop assistant said "peace" to me, I'd punch them in the face.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Are there people who really say that? If a shop assistant said "peace" to me, I'd punch them in the face.

Then go to the Apple shop and live the dream you want........

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
How is that a bad thing? It's surely one of the best things about Brighton? The place has so much more character than it would if it was flat, with cracking views everywhere and neighbourhoods with quite different characters very close together.

It's not so good if your mobility is not up to scratch! You young gazelles must love it. :)

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
The sea. Not its presence but the fact that the visibility is so poor and it's rough too often. There are dozens of decent wrecks off the coast of sussex but it's either too rough to go out, the vis is shite or there's a plankton bloom or some such.
If it were as clear as the waters round the eastern med or Red Sea it would be perfect.

However if the water conditions were as ideal as you want them, the wrecks may not be there in the first place. Unless you're talking about all the leftover WW2 debris!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
  • The general dirtiness of the City.
  • Parking charges.
  • Property prices.
  • Public transport prices.
  • Crap 'out of centre' shopping areas (Boundary/Portland/Lewes/London Roads).
  • Dog $hit wherever you walk.
  • Idiots that just want to look ridiculous for the sake of looking ridiculous.
  • The abundance of Beggars/Charity Hounders/Big Issue sellers.
  • West Street.
  • The seafront between the West Pier and Lagoon (King Alfred and surrounding derelict area).
  • Traffic/Parking Wardens.

This pretty much sums it up, I would, however, add all the rusting bicycle carcasses chained to railings rusting away with no wheels or saddle etc left to rot.

Feb 14, 2010
Having left the area I think that Central Brighton and how The North Laine area has come on is great. but I look at Brighton and the conurbation of linked towns and think it's pretty similar to lots of places up and down the country. Seaside towns have their issues but Brighton's drug problem is out of hand.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
All the media lovies. Simon Fanshawe and people like him. Brighton is not a better place than it was 25 years ago (bar maybe the improved Churchill Square).

brixtonA23

Aug 5, 2011
I lived in Brighton and actually, for years, but work meant a move to London. I used to live on Guilford Road so a walk up the hill and the fall into the Battle, it always seems the same. But if you go for a wander without being a local, have to go with litter and pretentiousness instead of Bohemia. Still the best seaside resort so close to London, but not sure what it wants to be sometimes.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Ive done a fair abit for charity but those who insist on harassing you to join there charity the moment you leave a shop / get off a bus etc

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
This pretty much sums it up, I would, however, add all the rusting bicycle carcasses chained to railings rusting away with no wheels or saddle etc left to rot.

Good point. It feels as though there is at least one in every street. Put a note on them. Give them a week to be removed. Cut them free and recycle. Job done.

Jul 20, 2003
Waitrose in Western Road being in Brighton, not Hove.

It should be in Hove.

The removal of the 'Welcome to Hove, Twinned with Draveil' sign

'Lanes' bitter

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Waitrose in Western Road being in Brighton, not Hove.

It should be in Hove.

The removal of the 'Welcome to Hove, Twinned with Draveil' sign

'Lanes' bitter

Waitrose will be in Hove on April 10th:)

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
I currently live in Manchester and I feel Brighton is a better city. I've also lived in Leeds, Glasgow, Arklow and Liverpool and again I felt Brighton had more to offer. I used to also live in Islington. Again I felt brighton was a better place, and cheaper. But i will accept, some people like places for different reasons.
The thing i dislike the most about brighton are the locals who slag it off when they get there chance to live elsewhere. I've even met people who moved to Plymouth and said what a better place it is!
The amount of non local people I've met who love Brighton is astonishing.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here