Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What constitutes being an alcoholic?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Metallica's James Hetfield decided it was time for rehab when he cracked open a litre of vodka on a 8am hunting trip.
punk:

The key defintion you have to make is between an alcoholic and a problem drinker.

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
METALMICKY said:
Metallica's James Hetfield decided it was time for rehab when he cracked open a litre of vodka on a 8am hunting trip.
punk:

The key defintion you have to make is between an alcoholic and a problem drinker.

There's a difference ? What planet did you just land from ? A problem drinker is an alcoholic.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
HAHA:D

Did you answer YES four or more times? If so, you are probably in trouble with alcohol. Why do we say this? Because thousands of people in A.A. have said so for many years. They found out the truth about themselves „ the hard way.

But again, only you can decide whether you think A.A. is for you. Try to keep an open mind on the subject. If the answer is YES, we will be glad to show you how we stopped drinking ourselves. Just call.

A.A. does not promise to solve your life's problems. But we can show you how we are learning to live without drinking "one day at a time." We stay away from that "first drink." If there is no first one, there cannot be a tenth one. And when we got rid of alcohol, we found that life became much more manageable.

ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS® is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.
The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions.
A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Why is that funny?

fatboy said:
HAHA:D

Did you answer YES four or more times? If so, you are probably in trouble with alcohol. Why do we say this? Because thousands of people in A.A. have said so for many years. They found out the truth about themselves „ the hard way.

But again, only you can decide whether you think A.A. is for you. Try to keep an open mind on the subject. If the answer is YES, we will be glad to show you how we stopped drinking ourselves. Just call.

A.A. does not promise to solve your life's problems. But we can show you how we are learning to live without drinking "one day at a time." We stay away from that "first drink." If there is no first one, there cannot be a tenth one. And when we got rid of alcohol, we found that life became much more manageable.

ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS® is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.
The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions.
A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

Last edited:

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
I don't drink at home and average 1 good piss-up a week although lately its been 3 piss-ups:D while jobless although back to normal shortly.

Most alchys drink morning to night every day:drink:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
berkshire seagull said:
Most alchys drink morning to night every day:drink:

That's the whole point; they don't

Most people with a drink problem or alcoholic are the ones who let drink take over their lives.

That is not necessarily drinking morning to night. My ex didn't have a drink until 9pm BUT

it came before me, the kids, our marriage and his job. He borrowed money to have a drink every night and eventually left me with £6000 of debt.

He only ever drank beer.

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Yorkie said:
That's the whole point; they don't

Most people with a drink problem or alcoholic are the ones who let drink take over their lives.

That is not necessarily drinking morning to night. My ex didn't have a drink until 9pm BUT

it came before me, the kids, our marriage and his job. He borrowed money to have a drink every night and eventually left me with £6000 of debt.

He only ever drank beer.
Thats what my old man was like when he had a problem,so i guess many of em are all diffrent in there own way.
My old man works for brighton buses and used to pop the odd can before work etc.:lolol: :drink:

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Hatterlovesbrighton said:
Why is that funny?

Because I answered yes to 10 out of 12!

It's when you only alcohol can make you feel happy. Today I had a shit morning at work so decided to go into Wetherspoons at lunch on my own for "one quick drink" to cheer me up - this turned into 3 orange reefs, a double vodka and coke and a double bailey's. I felt so embarassed ordering all that I went and sat down at a table next to some other blokes and pretended to the barmaid I was with them. What made it worse was I only had 15 minutes left so downed them all.
Above all, what a waste of money!

:shootself

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
:nono: Not good Danny but on the up side at least you realised that it wasn't a good idea.

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
" A person is generally considered to be dependent on alcohol when they have experienced three or more of the following symptoms during a year:

a strong urge to drink,
difficulty controlling drinking,
physical withdrawal symptoms, such as sweating, shaking, agitation and nausea when they try to reduce drinking,
a growing tolerance to alcohol (needing larger quantities to get the same effect),
gradual neglect of other activities,
persistent drinking even though it is obviously causing harm.
Problem drinking occurs when a person is not dependent on alcohol, but drinks enough to cause actual physical or psychological harm. "

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
DÃnN¥ §ëÃGuLL© said:
It's when you only alcohol can make you feel happy. Today I had a shit morning at work so decided to go into Wetherspoons at lunch on my own for "one quick drink" to cheer me up - this turned into 3 orange reefs, a double vodka and coke and a double bailey's. I felt so embarassed ordering all that I went and sat down at a table next to some other blokes and pretended to the barmaid I was with them. What made it worse was I only had 15 minutes left so downed them all.
Above all, what a waste of money!

:shootself
Nothing wrong with that danny boy as i reguarly go out 1hr or so early and sit and chill on my tod before the mates turn up,but you do get funny looks and mostly woman as they probably think you have been stood up etc,but you also get them giving you nice looks he he.:drink:

Nice to sit and think by yourself sometimes as not often you get space these days.:smokin:

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Or maybe the thought of going back to work was enough to make ya feel that way.:lolol:

My names danny seagull and i like sitting in the pub on my own to reflect on things and to get a buz as drink is my god and the event is my life.:clap: :lolol: :drink:

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
the realisation that you give up alcohol for lent then spend the remaining days getting more worked up than an F1 driver on red bull... or just being George Best..

Attachments

• val 2.jpg
    val 2.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 104

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
The totty you get in there i can see why you go there a lot as if i lived there i would go in there a lot,but not as much as you.:lolol:

O well its the weekend soon and my birthday all-dayer saturday:clap2: :drink: while you strutt it in the event.:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here