Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What constitutes being an alcoholic?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Your in the shit when you get to the stage of " you will die if you stop and you will die if you carry on ".

Its very dangerous to just stop as your body will go into shock.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
bhaexpress said:
Bullshit, you, like so many on here don't know what you're talking about. Having had several experiences with alkies I base my judgement on that.

For your information i had a cousin who within the space of 7 years went from a successful business man to a down and out due to alcohol abuse. Unfortunately he died in early 2003.

On that basis i'd like to think my opinion is as valid as yours.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Yes, your opinion maybe but your grasp of the facts (which is the point) isn't.

Just so's you know, I have worked with both dug addicts and Alcoholics as a counseller, happy ?

We joke about it but in reality it's no laughing matter and most people have no idea that they have a problem until it becomes obvious by virtue of the fact that they lose their job, their friends and their family then finally the last vestiges of their self respect.

There are a lot of old wives tales and myths on here which are not the hard and fast truth. Many alkies can go for long periods without drink then they lapse into a binge (the most dangerous form of the condition). Binging is even more dangerous than steady over imbibing as the body is not prepared for the sudden infux of what is actually poison.

I could go on but you get the idea I'm sure.

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Gareth Glover said:
Your in the shit when you get to the stage of " you will die if you stop and you will die if you carry on ".

Its very dangerous to just stop as your body will go into shock.

Actually Gareth that's very true but the drawback is that it gives the drinker carte blanche not to stop. Weaning yourself of drink slowly is far easier said than done as apart from anything else your body craves alcohol and your judgement is impaired.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
METALMICKY said:
It would appear not and WE should all bow to his superior tone enhanced by his agressiveness:glare:

Wel seeing as you think you know what you're talking about based on a relative you don't, trust me. Can I help it if (obviously being a lot older than you) I might be a bit more experienced, it's no lie that I've worked as a counseller BTW. I'm not trying to belittle you and it's a shame you're so touchy but there's a lot of twaddle on here that some of you don't know about.

If you see Yorkie's posts you'll see (she has had very close experience of the subject sadly) that she is trying dispel some myths. Knowing what I do now it does amaze me as to how much some people put away. I've been on Albion away games and have been quite shocked to see people utterly sloshed at 8 AM ay Euston and Kings Cross. It's an insidious problem that creeps up on people without them realising.

Being compared to Dwayne now, that's insulting.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
bhaexpress said:
I've been on Albion away games and have been quite shocked to see people utterly sloshed at 8 AM ay Euston and Kings Cross. It's an insidious problem that creeps up on people without them realising.

:(

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Uncle Buck said:
No one is doubting your expirence, knowledge etc. However the way that you convey it is rude and to be honest quite insulting. It is basically you are right and the rest of us are wrong and that does remind me of Dwayne.

Well that's not my intention. Please bear in mind that I don't use the sort of profanity that some use. Clearly you're a bit sensitive but believe me, my intention was to highlight the misnomers in this thread.

I'm sorry if I've offended anybody as that was not my intention.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Yes, Berks but tragically that 'one for the road' that relieves your stress often becomes two and so on. It's one thing to go out on a weekend and get slughtered, everybody does that once in a while it's when you're trying to mask your problems with what ever substance you choose when it can sneak up on you and cause all manner of problems.

You do wonder how many people could go into a pub and not drink anything alcoholic for instance.

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
The cost of living and rising debts=an easy way out of it i.e drink and drugs,but it certainly doesn't solve there problem just eases it for a while.:drink:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Indeed, just as long as you don't rely on it and look forward to it. When that happens you've got a problem.

Jameson

Try taking the 3 week test - if you can happily abstain you're OK. It's surprisingly difficult though - not physically - but you soon find out how much your lifestyle revolves around it. :nono:

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Jameson said:
Try taking the 3 week test - if you can happily abstain you're OK. It's surprisingly difficult though - not physically - but you soon find out how much your lifestyle revolves around it. :nono:

Don't know if I could do that. However, I only drink once, maybe twice a week (and never ever in the day times), although when I do drink I generally get hammered. Does this make me an alchy?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
No, I wouldn't have said so. It's when you get in the habit of doing that regularly it's a problem. Most younger blokes get ratted so what ? No big deal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here