Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What constitutes being an alcoholic?

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
filthy said:
Has your mum been talking to you about your drinking habits again andy?!? :) :jester: :dunce: :jester: :drink:

No she only does that when I have friends round. :dunce:

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
chez said:
No hangovers & a need to drink as soon as you wake up.
That must mean your tee total then chez. Throwing up over the person your marking on a sunday morning is a good sign that you drink too much. I have only done it once though:D :clap2: :D

Inkerman

Sep 3, 2003
Berkshire
ben andrews girlfriend said:
alcoholic

• adjective relating to the consumption of alcohol.

• noun a person suffering from alcoholism.

NO NO NO - English lesson needed !!!

"Alcoholic" is not an "adjective relating to the consumption of alcohol". That would be 'drinking', although obviously this doesn't refer just to alcohol.

"Alcoholic" as an adjective - i.e. a describing word - relates to the fact that a drink contains alcohol.

oapdodge

Jul 15, 2003
I wouldn't want to give up drinking.I enjoy getting pissed,and the occasional pints,bottle of wine and a few shorts.Social drinking out a pub,restaurant, parties etc or at home.Drink helps in the evenings to wind down,or anytime of day to get on a plane.Football without a drink before the game is just not the same,watching footie at home without a beer is a waste of time.Do I have a problem ? No I have a beer by my side and a few more for the night.Am I an alcoholic ? I don't think so but others might disagree,but they should just have a drink and chill.
:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It depends what you are comfortable with.

Someone told me an alcoholic needs a drink when they wake up.

Mind you it depends what time you wake up as well :p

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I have a beer or two most evenings. At home, I can make a couple of cans last the evening and that about does me fine, I find I don't even want any more after that.

On Wednesdays I have usually have a couple of pints at lunchtime, then 2 or 3 more that evening, followed by some tinnies at home if a football match is on, but thats usually my heaviest day of drinking of the week. Don't get shit-faced at the weekends any more like I used to.

I think I've got it under control anyway.

JAMC

Jul 5, 2003
Easy 10 said:
I have a beer or two most evenings. At home, I can make a couple of cans last the evening and that about does me fine, I find I don't even want any more after that.

On Wednesdays I have usually have a couple of pints at lunchtime, then 2 or 3 more that evening, followed by some tinnies at home if a football match is on, but thats usually my heaviest day of drinking of the week. Don't get shit-faced at the weekends any more like I used to.

I think I've got it under control anyway.

Do you do drugs as well?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Easy 10 said:
I have an addiction to Lemsip, and I like spraying my nether regions with Ralgex.

That sounds good I'm just off to the chemist :lolol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Believe me Beach Hut, that "Deep Heat" feeling takes you to new heights. I have a can of it in my drawer at work.

poke

Oct 19, 2003
i got 6 yes's and 6 no's on that quiz :drink: :drink: :drink:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Easy 10 said:
Believe me Beach Hut, that "Deep Heat" feeling takes you to new heights. I have a can of it in my drawer at work.

Oh yes - so what is your trade then ?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
bhaexpress said:
There's a difference ? What planet did you just land from ? A problem drinker is an alcoholic.

"Problem drinking occurs when a person is not dependent on alcohol, but drinks enough to cause actual physical or psychological harm".

Thank you!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
METALMICKY said:
"Problem drinking occurs when a person is not dependent on alcohol, but drinks enough to cause actual physical or psychological harm".

Thank you!

Bullshit, you, like so many on here don't know what you're talking about. Having had several experiences with alkies I base my judgement on that.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Inkerman said:
NO NO NO - English lesson needed !!!

"Alcoholic" is not an "adjective relating to the consumption of alcohol". That would be 'drinking', although obviously this doesn't refer just to alcohol.

"Alcoholic" as an adjective - i.e. a describing word - relates to the fact that a drink contains alcohol.

Thats a direct quote from the oxford online dictionary!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
From my experience, someone who has bottles hidden away to grab a drink from and denies that they have a problem. Stinking of alcohol at all times off the day and looking rough as shit.

Maybe that's just the advanced stages though!

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
when alcohol becomes something you need to function on a daily basis then there is a problem, to be in a position where you need alcohol to deal with people and events is certainly an indicator..... there are many forms of addiction - its just that being addicted to alochol has a name....where alot of other addictions don't...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here