Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What club do your KIDS support ?

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Admit it, just how hard is it to get the kids interested in the Albion/Withdean experience.

I only see my lad a few times a week, he actually lives in Withdean and everytime I mention the Albion I can see he is not interested, yet he is obsessed by Man Utd, tried taking him to games along with my nephews and its got to the point that its almost driving a wedge between us, final straw came last night when I phoned his mum to see what he wanted to do in a few weekends time and I was told anything but going to see Brighton.

Its the same with my present partners Daughter and my nephews who just want Chelsea stuff, and I cant help feeling guilty trying to force things on them that they simply dont want.

If this is the way our kids are what hope is there for lower league football ?

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
All kids will support whatever team is popular with their mates!

I was an Arsenal fan when i first started following football in about 95/96 but I grew into a Brighton fan and now id rather Brighton did well than Arsenal.

He'll see sence in a couple of years, just dont force it on him.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Our 3 kids all support Brighton and Hove Albion. Eldest son (15) is a STH and his older sister and younger brother come several times a season, when other commitments allow.

We also enjoy watching premiership footie on TV, and currently have a penchant for The Arsenal.

I think there is plenty of hope and opportunity for lower league football.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
laura used to go and I suppose she supports the albion, but when she is back from Uni, she is not that fussed on going. In fact i almost feel like its some form of abuse making her go:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Bex supports Arsenal, manchester United, liverpool, chelsea....in fact anyone who wins

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Ali's right, your boy will see sense in a couple of years. They just need to realise that supporting a club is SO MUCH MORE than simply watching a team win week-in week-out.

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
When i was younger i supported Newcastle (for Shearer mainly), and my brothers supported Arsenal and Aston Villa for various reasons, but by the time we were about 8 or 9 we gave them up for Brighton :clap:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I liked MAN UNITED until my DAD took me to the ALBION at which point I immediatly SWITCHED allegiances.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
My kids are weird, the youngest currently supports Chelsea the other supports Bayern Munich.

No matter how hard I have tried I just haven't been able to get them to maintain an interest in the albion

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
turienzo's lovechild said:
yeah i supported liverpool until i was about 9 or 10, then i SORTED MY HEAD OUT
Same, although my dad still took me and I counted myself as a supporter of both, until I GREW out of it.

How old is your kid Rougvie?

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
I was the same. Only interested in what United were doing on the tv.

I don't think anyone expected me to become Albion obsessed - my Dads only really a casual supporter. Somehow though i was gripped by the Withdean experience...although i can't help but think that was probably because it was quite noisy then, and we were winning games. Anyway, i'm hooked now, and there's nothing to say it won't be the same for your son once he's grown up a bit.

Maybe try taking him to a local away game next season?

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
It,s either Brighton & Hove Albion.........or pack your bags and leave..!

Simple really.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Newcastle. Once I knew they were interested in football I knew that, despite all my preaching, they would in some way shape or form follow a premiership team. I thought Newcastle was far enough away that when they got older they wouldn't pester me to take them to home games. Wrong!

They both support Brighton as well, but certainly my son sees it as being almost two different sports.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
cjd said:
It,s either Brighton & Hove Albion.........or pack your bags and leave..!

Simple really.
Quite. The first and only thing I ever knew about the game of football - virtually from the cradle - was that it was played by the Albion in blue and white stripes at the Goldstone Ground and that my dad and brother would head off to somewhere tantalisingly called "Palace" on Boxing Day. It's in the DNA by now and any offspring of mine would similarly have ZERO choice in the matter.
:albion: :albion: :albion: :albion: :albion: :albion2: :albion2: :albion2: :albion2: :albion2: :albion1: :albion1: :albion1: :albion1:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Lucy and Kelly are ONLY allowed to support the ALBION.

I have not inflicted Withdean on them...I asked if they wanted to go a few weeks ago.

Lucy said "can I take my colouring in?"

Well she did have a point.

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Got 2 boys (aged 4 and 7) and got them Albion strips as soon as they could fit into them. They get Albion stuff at birthdays and Christmas. They really don't get a choice.

I've drummed into them that Chelski, Arsenal and Man U fans aren't real footie fans because they don't go to the games.

Get 'em young enough and they're brainwashed long before they have a chance to rebel.

Their cousins are all Albion fans too. It's quite simple. If you want them to be Albion fans you can make them by taking them along, getting photos with Gully, having fun at Withdean, birthday cards from the club.

The thought of my 2 supporting anybody else is just an anathema to me.

:albion:

Shegull

Jul 7, 2003
On a Bed of Roses
None of my kids are small anymore but when they were younger they went through a phase of being what I describe as "glory supporters". Now they are older all they want is to see a good game of football no matter who is playing. They would even sit and watch a Brighton game with me.

I think with you son a lot of the problem would be the ground. Must be a bit embarrasing going to Withdean compared to the likes of Man U. Problem will probably get sorted in a few years when he is a bit older and we have a proper ground to go to.

Lets face it most of us have fond memories of the Goldstone but who in their right mind will have fond memories of Withdean.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here