Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What americanisms do you hate?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
And as someone mentioned earlier, thanking "GAAAAAD" for every pissing thing that goes right in their lives. "uhhh, ahh'd laak to thaaank ma Maw, ma Paw, aall ma family and friends, I luuurv you gaa's. But most of aahl, ahh'd laak to thank GAAAAD for this award."

:shootself

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Useless fact number 38

"Xenophobes" is an anagram of "phone boxes"

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
jmc said:
how can you lot slag off americans, yes there are some differences, but listen to geordies, taffs, scousers, jocks, cockneys, yokils - a lot of them don't speak Queens English never mind another country - next you'll be complaining that the French speak French! It is another country, their language their rules...

BUT SOCCER FFS - that is bad!:p

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I'll be sure to forward this post to the president of everybody here's behalf. I'm sure once he realizes just how much this pisses of a such an important collection of bored soccer...ermm...I mean football fans I'm sure he'll want to amend the constitution to fix it.
Not everywhere is England. Get over it.
Although I have to admit when people say things like:
"I know where that's at"
or:
"I don't know where he's at"
It makes my blood boil :angry:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We're quite entitled to get pissed off and irritated at other countries and their stupid ways of talking. If they all talked proper like what we does, there'd be no problem. Innit.

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
This thread is sumfink else

:dunce:

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Mis-pronunciation of simple English place names.

Lysester Square, Glauwster Road - 2 places I've been asked directions to in the last week. :rolleyes:

Also the total inability to understand why the world hates America and the sense-of-humour bypass most Americans have.

When I throw a rock, it usually takes a couple of mates to help lift the thing.

Americans manage it on their own and it turns out to be the size of a pebble.

Incidentally, you can always fight back against the "London, England" stuff - by referring to "Hollywood, America", to distinguish it from Hollywood, Birmingham (which, as I'm sure marvin can confirm, is not far from California, Birmingham).

That's Birmingham, England, btw.

:)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Lord Bracknell said:

I have no idea what that means.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Easy 10 said:
That stupid f***ing thing american woman do with their necks when they're arguing with someone - they kind of face forward and shift their heads from side to side as if they're Egyption, before uttering some banility like "talk to the HAND".

Mine doesn't, she just head butts you.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Curious Orange said:
Fanny.

Plenty of fun with that word!!

:lolol:

'Fag' is the word that gets them to most, especially when you say it's something you put in your mouth.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Is the a ryder cup coming up???????:angry: :angry: :angry:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Saying "Who is this?" when they mean "Who are you?". Saying
"Who is this?" means they are asking the other person to guess who they are.

'Upcoming' instead of 'forthcoming'.

'Slated' instead of 'earmarked'. I once completely misunderstood an American colleague when she said Manchester had been slated for a conference, I thought she meant it had been slagged off.

When telling the time: 'Ten after five' (for example) as opposed to ten past five.

'Math' not 'Maths'. Actually they may be correct there but so what.

Assuming they won WW2 single-handed.

Apart from that I always use American spellings where possible, especially center and color.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Lord Bracknell said:

Incidentally, you can always fight back against the "London, England" stuff - by referring to "Hollywood, America", to distinguish it from Hollywood, Birmingham (which, as I'm sure marvin can confirm, is not far from California, Birmingham).

That's Birmingham, England, btw.

:)

That annoys me intensly

London, England - Paris, France etc

It implies that two of (quite possibly) the most important cities in history need to be distinguished from some one horse town in the middle of Arkansas

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Paddy B said:
That annoys me intensly

London, England - Paris, France etc

It implies that two of (quite possibly) the most important cities in history need to be distinguished from some one horse town in the middle of Arkansas

Well when just about every major (and many minor) city in the entire world has a namesake in the US, including Brighton (these few returned by mapquest):

Brighton, NY Brighton, CO
Brighton, MI Brighton, AL
Brighton, AR Brighton, FL
Brighton, IA Brighton, IL
Brighton, MO Brighton, TN

Then yes it is important to distinguish which city you are talking about when talking in America. Because of that it becomes a habit which carries over when no distinction is really needed, such as "I visited Buckingham Palace in London, England" - hardly likely to confuse it with the Buckingham Palace in London, OH.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
The letter "z" in words where an "s" should be - as in "specialize"

The pronounciation of the word "mirror" as "mirrrr" (wtf!)

The fact that they are the only country that refuse to dip their flag in salute to the Olympic flag in the opening ceremony (The American Flag is lowered to nobody)

:unclesam:
:stupid:

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
No one has yet mentioned the most evil Americanism of them all....met with, as in "The President met with his advisors yesterday".

No - he just met them.

Why use an extra word for no reason?
Now everyone uses it over here too, including the BBC. I hate it and I won't rest until it's eradicated.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

Tenngull

Sep 15, 2003
Tennessee
I've lived in the US for 15 years and have got used to most of those you've mentioned, but they all got up my nose at first.

But the one that still gets to me is the word 'winningest', as in 'The winningest coach in college basketball.' and stuff like that.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Is London England in Yurp?

(That's Europe to us btw).

Last edited:

MRSBHA

Mar 4, 2004
Rossville, GA, USA
i cant really reply to this thread even though bha wants me to lose my temper everyone has the right to thier opinions.

i mean the thing that i hate about englishmen would be words like
wanker, bloody hell, end of, take it as read. i mean come on does it really make a difference about how people talk as long as they speak when spoken to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here