Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What americanisms do you hate?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Americans pronouncing any of the following - Herbs, Tomato, Vitamins, Moscow, Basil, Tuna. The most ridiculous of which is 'Herbs' which they pronounce 'Erbs'!! Where's the friggin 'H'?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Locky said:
When they say "can I get a beer"
instead of please may I have

I had that one explained to me by an American who was quite pissed off at the way we ask!. When you say "can I have" they assume you don't want to pay:ohmy: apparently

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Cheeky Monkey said:
"You know and he was kinda like 'okay' and I was kinda like, well yeah...."

And then he's like to me WHAT EVAH and I'm like as if! to him like y'know...

Yeah and so but like EVERY sentence like... goes up at the end? Like it's a QUESTION? And like there's like, y'know, loadsa EMPHASIS, with liddle like... PAUSES in fron' of 'em, like EVERYWHERE? Mmm mmm ummm mmm yeah guh'fren', I is so not diggin' that jive. Yknow? WhatEVAH....

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

as in...." It was like , so good"

From that fecking friends series. What a load of old poo

jmc

Jul 11, 2003
Portslade
how can you lot slag off americans, yes there are some differences, but listen to geordies, taffs, scousers, jocks, cockneys, yokils - a lot of them don't speak Queens English never mind another country - next you'll be complaining that the French speak French! It is another country, their language their rules...

BUT SOCCER FFS - that is bad!:p

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Well, there's few things I can think of. My Wife's ex husband being one. The whole of the immigration service. But the most annoying being the notion that they speak English. If that was the case how come so many of them can't understand English (as I, an Englishmen, speak it).

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
jmc said:
how can you lot slag off americans, yes there are some differences, but listen to geordies, taffs, scousers, jocks, cockneys, yokils - a lot of them don't speak Queens English never mind another country - next you'll be complaining that the French speak French! It is another country, their language their rules...

BUT SOCCER FFS - that is bad!:p

Actually it's 'Sackuh'.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
jmc said:

Hooray someone whos not Zenophobic has posted some sense !!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

jmc

Jul 11, 2003
Portslade
redland said:

is that "zen"ophobc or "Zeen"ophobic - sorry to sound thick but what does it mean anyway.....just so I know if your insulting or praising me :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Hungry Joe.

Mar 5, 2004
British Upper Beeding
redland said:

It's Xenophobic actually. Being irritated by the way our beautiful language has been bastardised by another country doesn't make one racist. Get a dictionary.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
I should have spelt it xenophobia

Definition: [adj] suffering from xenophobia; having abnormal fear or hatred of the strange or foreign

Hungry Joe.

Mar 5, 2004
British Upper Beeding
redland said:
I should have spelt it xenophobia

Definition: [adj] suffering from xenophobia; having abnormal fear or hatred of the strange or foreign

That's better. Does South Croydon count as foreign or strange?

IT'S ALL GOOD STUFF DEAR

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That stupid f***ing thing american woman do with their necks when they're arguing with someone - they kind of face forward and shift their heads from side to side as if they're Egyption, before uttering some banility like "talk to the HAND".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here