Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

West Ham win Olympic stadium bid

Red'n'Blue

Jan 6, 2011
I thought Orient where going to move to the new hockey stadium being built for the Olympics.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
I could not give a flying f*** about west ham Olympic or orient to be honest.
But Karen Brady has nice hooters.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Once again Simster you've hit the nail on the head.
As for the seating issue, in many other countries (Spain, Italy, Greece, Rome and Germany*) their main athletics stadia have held major club football in recent years with no sight issues or loss of atmosphere. Not all athletics stadia are as poorly designed (from a turning it into a multi use venue perspectice ) as Withdean.

Whilst I agree with much of your post, I would argue here as it seems to me that this is the main issue of athletics track football stadia. I can't say for sure that the presence of a track significantly affects atmosphere, but then I doubt with this statement that you can either - I would suggest that the media are never going to admit that track stadiums lead to poor atmospheres. Also, English football is based far more on intimacy than other countries, so I doubt whether proof of an atmosphere at athletics stadiums in Italy will convince those that like Upton Park that similar can be created at Olympics Stadium.

That's just arguing on behalf of WH fans. The ethics of selling the Olympics Stadium to a football club are entirely seperate.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
here's a couple of pics of the OS. No 1 shows the stadium in Athletics mode and no 2 in football mode. Apparently the roof is going to be extended to cover all the seating and not just the top tier.

I'm very very slightly warming to the idea if....and it's a big if, it goes like the pic above. However, with the dildo brothers at the helm, they'll probably slap a bit of twinwall on the roof and give everyone school chairs to sit on if it means saving some money !!!

stadiumwithouttemp2-3.png

stadiumwithtemp-1.png

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
cunning, an expandable pitch. all the talk is always of a retractable stands whcih is probably very expensive,l especially to retro fit. never thought you could make the internal grass area larger, the track is only going to be used a couple of times each year.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
here's a couple of pics of the OS. No 1 shows the stadium in Athletics mode and no 2 in football mode. Apparently the roof is going to be extended to cover all the seating and not just the top tier.

I'm very very slightly warming to the idea if....and it's a big if, it goes like the pic above. However, with the dildo brothers at the helm, they'll probably slap a bit of twinwall on the roof and give everyone school chairs to sit on if it means saving some money !!!

stadiumwithtemp-1.png

What's the capacity in the second pic?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Whilst I agree with much of your post, I would argue here as it seems to me that this is the main issue of athletics track football stadia. I can't say for sure that the presence of a track significantly affects atmosphere, but then I doubt with this statement that you can either - I would suggest that the media are never going to admit that track stadiums lead to poor atmospheres. Also, English football is based far more on intimacy than other countries, so I doubt whether proof of an atmosphere at athletics stadiums in Italy will convince those that like Upton Park that similar can be created at Olympics Stadium.

That's just arguing on behalf of WH fans. The ethics of selling the Olympics Stadium to a football club are entirely seperate.

Perhaps I should have said nondegradation in supporter experience? I am basing my view on having attended games at many of the countries I refer to and also seeing espanol play game at their Olympic stadium and then seeing a Catalan representative team at the camp nou the same week. To me the atmosphere and experience were similar. Granted, seeing Barcelona themselves may have been different but that's down to the team rather than the facilities

In any case having seen the new images above, this does sound like a moot point. At with dean, we had to get permission to play on a pitch which is about half a metre narrower than league guidelines support. At the OS they appear to overcome that by widenin the pitch and putting movable seats in behind the goals just as Huddersfield has at one end.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

stadiumwithtemp-1.png

Does look quite nice.

What are your feelings towards it? there is a couple of season ticket holders at work who are against the idea completly.

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
The joke is they make it sounds as if the clubs are fighting over the multi-million pound stadium when every one knows it will be a shite ground for whoever gets it, I suspect neither Spurs nor West Ham fans want it, just the greedy fuckers who will make money from developing it, rather like the olympic stadium, if they'd have just upgraded the Crystal Palace athletics track in the first place, it would have saved the country billions for what is only ever a two week event, legacy my arse.
From my one trip to Spurs I reckon that area could do with the development they were proposing and West ham has a great atmosphere right in the heart of the community it represents, not some souless wasteland in east london (would do for the next BBC attempt at sci-fi though!)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don't see this as one in the eye for Spurs. Their fans don't want it and it would never have been an issue if Haringey Council and Transport For London had reached agreement with Spurs over the travel redevelopment costs.

Spurs are currently building a brand new training centre in Enfield, so this really reinforces the idea they are a North London club.

As for the second pic with temporary stands on the track, I DO think this is a bit shit. I remember going to Dortmund's 70,000 stadium to see Brazil vs Japan in WC2006 and that is an example of how you can get a big capacity and still remain tight around the pitch, making for a cracking atmosphere.

Playing in an athletics stadium will never be a good thing. I pity West Ham for having to live with the guilt of destroying Leyton Orient and occupying a stadium that is London's Olympic Stadium firstr and foremost.

All the focus has been on the identity Tottenham are giving up by relocating but West Ham themselves will be moving 5 miles away from their roots into Orient territory.

May 2, 2010
trust me Spurs will not be playing in a new stadium in WHL in 3 years double it perhaps and watch the budget go comparable to what Wemberley was, and just how feasible is plonking down removable seating on the track and removing it every year for athletics/20/20 cricket and pop concerts? surely very expensive and labour intensive.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Might be wrong here, but retractable seating isn't included in the current design.

Experts have said it would be difficult and expensive to retrospectively fit them.

Stupidly not included at the start.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Might be wrong here, but retractable seating isn't included in the current design.

Experts have said it would be difficult and expensive to retrospectively fit them.

Stupidly not included at the start.

clapham_gull is right. The top tier of the Olympic stadium was designed to be temporary, whilst the bottom tier was designed to be pernament. West Ham's plans involve keeping all of the temporary parts of the structrure, whilst effectively rebuilding large parts of the pernament structure.

This sounds like a difficult task to me. The above illustrations, in my opinion, look good. I wounder how difficult it will be to put into practice...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here