Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

West Ham win Olympic stadium bid

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
So far we've demolished two of our Olympic held stadiums (White City and Wembley), what does another one matter?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Any thoughts? One in the eye for Spurs whose plan was a bit too much it seems. Unlucky Palace, back to the drawing board for a new stadium?

Spurs plan was definatly too ambitious and went against everything said about the purpose of the stadium. Palace's new stadium is still on track (ho ho), they needed Spurs to fail. Crystal Palace stadium is going to be rather redundant so developing a football stadium looks a bit more practical.

West Ham dont fill the Boleyn Ground so have no hope for the Olympic Stadium ...

really? said in the paper they have a 17k waiting list for season tickets.

not sure it impacts on Orient too much either, they have to compete already with WestHam, Spurs and Arsenal a few miles away.

By the time the dust has settled sullivan, gold and brady will have f***ed off with bucket loads of cash from an investor interested in the stadium not the football club - I suspect that was the intention from day 1.

really? you dont believe they are fans with the clubs interest at heart? i see little difference between them and Bloom, certainly in the case of Gold.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Any thoughts? One in the eye for Spurs whose plan was a bit too much it seems. Unlucky Palace, back to the drawing board for a new stadium?

BBC link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12412739

Good news for Palace surely ?

Olympic stadium (with West Ham) becomes the national Athletics venue and Palace can redeveloped er.. Crystal Palace.

With spurs out the way I'd imagine they are over the moon.

Personally I don't think either should have been allowed to move there. Probably controversial, but I took time to read Spurs proposals and in my opinion Athletics probably got the better deal, albeit away from the Olympic Park.

Under the West Ham proposals inevitably Athletics will become the lodger at a Premiership Ground. Under the Spurs proposals they would have ended up with a nice place of their own, where there has always been a venue.

Blatant stupidity and bloody mindedness has led to this. If only they had designed the original stadium with a retractable lower tier.

Now West Ham fans can look forward to a Withdean experience.

Last edited:

Feb 14, 2010
Good news for Palace surely ?

Olympic stadium (with West Ham) becomes the national Athletics venue and Palace can redeveloped er.. Crystal Palace.

With spurs out the way I'd imagine they are over the moon.

Personally I don't think either should have been allowed to move there. Probably controversial, but I took time to read Spurs proposals and in my opinion Athletics probably got the better deal, albeit away from the Olympic Park.

Under the West Ham proposals inevitably Athletics will become the lodger at a Premiership Ground. Under the Spurs proposals they would have ended up with a nice place of their own, where there has always been a venue.

Blatant stupidity and bloody mindedness has led to this. If only they had designed the original stadium with a retractable lower tier.

Now West Ham fans can look forward to a Withdean experience.

Nah they get a roof the lucky sods

Spurs are 5 miles from Stratford and the spammers about the same distance. Difference is the Spammers are East and Spurs North Ldn. Pleased that spurs stay north. Gutted for Orient and the FA have a rule to say you cant move into another clubs area.. but you watch the FA ignore it. Spammers deserve a poxy athletics stadium, its their penalty for their annoying fans and not giving a shit about the Orient

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
_51178358_olympicstadiuminterior.jpg

Couple of things confuse me about this image.

1. Where is the athletics track? That looks very close to the pitch.
2. They've filled the stadium ... not likely to happen!

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
This, to my mind, is the best solution to a bad plan.

The Olympic stadium should have been designed with its post-Olympic use in mind. I do not think that the Olympic stadium should be pulled down - what a waste of money. But I do agree that Crystal palace is not a suitable world class facility that british athletes can aspire to. At least now, we will continue to have a decent atletics stadium after the games that should be financially secure over the long term. Palace also get a shot at a new stadium, and as much as I hate them, they do need a new place.

At least the Olympics will leave some kind of legacy to British athletics.

I feel utterly sorry for Orient, but did they do much aside from a well-written statement on their website?

Last edited:

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
West Ham season ticket holder sits opposite me at work. Apparently up until their poor form this season they've been filling Upton park most weeks so while the current season ticket holders don't want to move the people that can't get season tickets at the moment will like it.

Reckon they'll be up to 50,000 attendances in time.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Also take into account it'll cost 95 mill to convert it into a 60k stadium... utter madness, the price of a particular brand new shiny stadium from scratch!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The fault for this shambles lies with the Olympic bid - this should have been thought about long ago. They've built a stadium on the cheap (relatively speaking) without giving consideration to post Olympic useage. The result is that we have a stadium unsuitable for anything, despite millions being spent on infrastructural improvements in the area.

I disagree that the Spurs plan was a bad one - that stadium is currently no good for football, and it's not their fault. I think we might have had a satisfactory outcome if the Spurs bid had instead been a joint proposal from West Ham and Orient, where the upper tier could be tarped off (which works to good effect in some North American stadiums).

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
What bemuses me is that Gold and Sullivan expect Newham to give them a loan to facilitate the move. This situation has no winners as West Ham won't prosper there, Orient will suffer and the stadium will be just one of the White Elephants the Olympics will leave us with. Even Palace now won't get any of the suggested help from Spurs for their plans.

Oh well, THANK GOD FOR FALMER !

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
What bemuses me is that Gold and Sullivan expect Newham to give them a loan to facilitate the move. This situation has no winners as West Ham won't prosper there, Orient will suffer and the stadium will be just one of the White Elephants the Olympics will leave us with. Even Palace now won't get any of the suggested help from Spurs for their plans.

Oh well, THANK GOD FOR FALMER !

How the Hell are Newham Boro going to give the Hammers a loan to help with the developement? Hardly the right time for Local Authorites to be helping out Football clubs with low rate loans.

I agree, THANK GOD FOR FALMER AND THANK FCUK FOR TONY BLOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here