Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] West Ham to move for Chris Hughton?

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Explains why some of JRG's posts have "your" rather than "our" when refering to BHAFC players.
I have never used the word 'your' (or 'our') in any posts relating to BHA players -

Still, there we go.
Off you go

CH did a great job for us but the owner, like many thousands of other fans, got fed up with his negative, defensive football that very nearly got us in deep shit last season so he sacked him. I trust TB. To an outsider like myself he did exactly the right thing. It wasn't CH's millions, or JRG's or mine or yours. The man who pays the piper calls the tune.
Yes he does call the tune - but you really do not know the thought processes of Bloom or his reason for making the decision

CH did his job. He has gone. And I for one am really enjoying the pace and style of Potterball. You need to try and enjoy it too.
I agree - and I am.

"Nonsense" is in the eye of the beholder fella. Just because somebody has a view or opinion that differs from your own, it doesn't make it "nonsense" now does it?
I don't have a problem with a difference of opinion - managers get criticised all the time - the nonsense is minimising or ignoring the achievements of Hughton while manager at Brighton.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
It’s very telling that there’s been a few Prem and top Championship jobs and CH has been overlooked for one reason or another.
You have no idea how many jobs Hughton has been overlooked for - any more than you have any idea how many jobs he has been offered and turned down.

but agreed he has to adapt his philosophy in the PL. Football has moved on. Fans and chairman just don’t want to see the backs to the wall anti football anymore
I would suggest that owners of a club that gets promoted want to keep the club in the PL by any means necessary - but even when Hughton had a PL team playing expansive football you had an idiot like Ashley sacking him in favour of Pardew.

And therein lies your (and JRG's) problem in that because of your relationship with CH you are incapable of separating CH the coach/player etc from CH the man.
With all due respect - you really cannot separate the individual from the type of player and coach that they are. I have only met Hughton once - but he came across as an incredibly honest and genuine guy (NooBHA knows him a lot better) - and Hughton carried that genuine and honest character into his playing days and into his coaching/managerial career. They are the characteristics that make him as good as he is.

I can't recall one poster on here who has, as you put it, slated CH (although no doubt you or JRG will trawl through the threads to find one). What I, and many on here who are long term supporters of the club, have been doing is criticizing his management of the team, particularly over the last season he was in charge.
Oh there have been plenty - and I am not going to bother going through the threads to link to them. But the biggest criticism I have of the comments about Hughton are not about how poorly the team was playing, how boring the team was etc - because that was the reality and there were specific reasons for this. My criticism is about people who attempt to minimise the achievement of keeping a promoted club with a bottom 3 budget in the PL for the two toughest seasons for every promoted club - 2 out of every three promoted teams get relegated in the first or second season - Brighton is not one of them and that is an achievement to be celebrated.

We can only speculate why Bloom chose to go 'in another direction' but my guess is that Bloom thought the direction we were going if CH stayed was downwards and not upwards. He came in when we were near the bottom of the Championship, steadied the ship, got us promoted and kept us there for the first season. For that we are all entirely grateful and that marks him as a legendary Albion manager. The second season was dire.
And you are correct - we can only speculate - and that is exactly what you have done.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Actually, I don't go to other games. I am a BHA supporter so most of my time watching football is when they are playing, either home or away. I don't have an interest in following other teams, managers, players etc.

I watch most of Brighton's games as well - and I watch Irish players who play for different clubs. Ireland has a limited number of players to choose from and every Irish supporter takes an interest in Irish players no matter what team they support.

I find NooBHA very restrained and considered in his defence of CH and very few posters feel the need to react in a negative way to his posts on the subject. JRG, however, is determined to defend and react to every criticism or perceived slight, however small with vigorous examples of why the poster who made them is wrong. He is knowingly or unknowingly responsible for dragging this out as plenty of posters will pull him up on something every time he does it. CH getting a new job is the best thing that could happen for JRG and NSC imo.
Believe it or not - I let the majority of comments go - in fact I didn't comment about Hughton at all for nearly three weeks until someone dragged up and old thread and began spouting nonsense. Furthermore - I do not force anyone to read or to respond to my comments - if people stop making what I regard as disrespectful comments then I would have no need to respond.

Hughton was a very successful manager at Brighton - celebrate what he achieved, respect the man - and move on. Bloom has, Hughton has - enjoy the ride with Potter and long may it continue - and some people need to forget about having to constantly make irrelevant comments and comparisons about what Hughton did or did not do. I hope Hughton gets another job and I hope he gets a shot at the PL - but most of all I want to see him as the Irish manager in the not too distant future (with Connolly and Molumby in the team).

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
He got Everton job due to taking Preston out of League 1 and to Championship Play offs. They played with Wimbledon 1970s style of football and Sean Gregan kicking everything that moved in midfield.

At Everton he signed Timmy Cahill who consistently got goals from corners so some good signings there helped him out.

I think he knows how to get goals from set pieces. That in itself is a skill I agree. So I wouldn't knock him as a manager.

He also had Wayne Rooney for a couple of seasons - and then Mikel Arteta.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Eh? You’ve done nothing but go on about Hughton for months.
I have never initiated any discussion on Hughton - and i have ignored a majority of the comments made about him. As I pointed out - I didn't comment about Hughton for more than 3 weeks before Christmas until someone dragged up an old thread and started talking nonsense. I would much prefer to be posting comments on other threads about different topics.

The vast majority of people on here are nothing but respectful of Hughton and what he achieved - there are a small number who keep spouting nonsense - don't do it and I won't respond - the guy deserves to have what he achieved at Brighton acknowledged and respected - stop the comments and let everyone move on. Do that and you won't read another word from me about Hughton.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I have never initiated any discussion on Hughton - and i have ignored a majority of the comments made about him. As I pointed out - I didn't comment about Hughton for more than 3 weeks before Christmas until someone dragged up an old thread and started talking nonsense. I would much prefer to be posting comments on other threads about different topics.

The vast majority of people on here are nothing but respectful of Hughton and what he achieved - there are a small number who keep spouting nonsense - don't do it and I won't respond - the guy deserves to have what he achieved at Brighton acknowledged and respected - stop the comments and let everyone move on. Do that and you won't read another word from me about Hughton.

Little tip why not just accept some will have a differing opinion to yourself, acknowledge the vast majority of Albion fans respect Chris and just ignore the minority. You have not been charged for this advice

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
With all due respect - you really cannot separate the individual from the type of player and coach that they are. I have only met Hughton once - but he came across as an incredibly honest and genuine guy (NooBHA knows him a lot better) - and Hughton carried that genuine and honest character into his playing days and into his coaching/managerial career. They are the characteristics that make him as good as he is.

I'm not saying someone's personality doesn't have a bearing on how they make decisions but of course you can separate someone from their profession life. We all have friends, family members etc but we don't turn against them if they make a mistake.

A lot of us respect the man and how he carried himself but felt he'd reached the end of the line insofar as getting anything out of the team. Bloom obviously felt the same.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Little tip why not just accept some will have a differing opinion to yourself, acknowledge the vast majority of Albion fans respect Chris and just ignore the minority. You have not been charged for this advice
Having a different opinion is not an issue - and if that is all it was then i wouldn't be commenting at all -

But I will politely decline your advice - I think it would be better served being directed at those on this board who feel the need to act in a disrespectful fashion towards someone who has earned the respect of the fan base of the club.

I'm not saying someone's personality doesn't have a bearing on how they make decisions but of course you can separate someone from their profession life. We all have friends, family members etc but we don't turn against them if they make a mistake.

A lot of us respect the man and how he carried himself but felt he'd reached the end of the line insofar as getting anything out of the team. Bloom obviously felt the same.
And that is a valid and acceptable argument - and one that I have zero problem with.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I have so tried to stay away from this spat that one or two posters have had with JRG over Chris' Managerial Career.

He like myself has personal links to Chris. That means that neither he or I will ever disrespect him or his career.

Others who have an axe to grind against him for whatever reason. No explanation of his talent will suffice. Whilst for JRG and myself. No explanation is necessary.

Just stop slating Chris and JRG will no longer feel the need to come to his defence. That's all that is really needed if you do sincerely want JRG to move on in relation to this subject.

Just accept that despite results and performances. CH left a fabulous legacy at BHA and in a far better position than he found them and in that time he gave the fans some wonderful moments.

If you had a kid say between the ages of say 6 and 10 - I bet they would say that the CH years were good years as opposed to bad ones

What he said

WOW! stop reading this board full of our opinions, and go and do something productive,

FFS, grow a pair

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I have so tried to stay away from this spat that one or two posters have had with JRG over Chris' Managerial Career.

He like myself has personal links to Chris. That means that neither he or I will ever disrespect him or his career.

Others who have an axe to grind against him for whatever reason. No explanation of his talent will suffice. Whilst for JRG and myself. No explanation is necessary.

Just stop slating Chris and JRG will no longer feel the need to come to his defence. That's all that is really needed if you do sincerely want JRG to move on in relation to this subject.

Just accept that despite results and performances. CH left a fabulous legacy at BHA and in a far better position than he found them and in that time he gave the fans some wonderful moments.

If you had a kid say between the ages of say 6 and 10 - I bet they would say that the CH years were good years as opposed to bad ones

Odd then that he came to Brighton when we were struggling in the championship!!!

with a strengthed squad that had been play-offs the previous season!

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Different offer on the table at that point. Longer contact on offer and different vision for the future sold to him than recent discussions

and an obviously underperforming sqaud,

managed by a lunatic

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
He got Everton job due to taking Preston out of League 1 and to Championship Play offs. They played with Wimbledon 1970s style of football and Sean Gregan kicking everything that moved in midfield.

At Everton he signed Timmy Cahill who consistently got goals from corners so some good signings there helped him out.

I think he knows how to get goals from set pieces. That in itself is a skill I agree. So I wouldn't knock him as a manager.

faint praise?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

I appreciate that his Everton appointment was a different time to now in the Premier league and the games moved on.

I was just responding to the question, and if you look at the records Moyes is far superior.

However as I said the game has moved on and he could be a dinosaur in 2020. Probably not a bad thing to get WHU out of trouble, but come the start of next season the West Ham fans will want to see something better on the pitch than what he served up last time.

hughts in may?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

hi sweetie, :bigwave::bigwave:

that's me talking reality. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

i work for a living so haven't always got as much time for lunacy as i would prefer.

with all these words you've typed, you've still managed to swerve my original question,

which was, in your opinion, (so you can't be wrong)

why does chris keep getting canned?

oh, and with the swerve and the fuggin' ENDLESS bullshit,

are you a politician?

ADDRESS THE ISSUE!

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
The CH brand of football doesn't have many fans and hence no one wants it at their club.
He will always be a legend for his services to the club but all things come to an end.
Potter will too at some stage, but not for a while I hope.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
why does chris keep getting canned?
Why does any manager get canned?

This year why did - Flores, Silva, Emery, Ponchettino or Garcia - or the dozen managers that have been sacked in the Championship so far this season?

It happens - and Hughton was one of the longest serving managers in all four divisions while he was at Brighton.

Bloody hell - and I get accused of trolling :rolleyes:

The CH brand of football doesn't have many fans and hence no one wants it at their club.
Yet he has been linked with practically every managerial vacancy in the top two divisions over the past two months.

:facepalm:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
with a strengthed squad that had been play-offs the previous season!

My recollection is that Oscar Garcia play off squad had been broken up - sales, retirements, contracts not renewed.

The quality in that squad, was on a much higher plane than the Hyppia squad.

TB had attempted to rein in expenditure, but went too far, possibly regretting it at the time. Plus Burke made some rubbish signings.

I stand to be corrected on this.

Winstanley and Hughton made a fresh start, expertly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here