Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Welbeck

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Given Mitoma, Undev and Zaquiri arriving I had thought we would release him however he has experience and is very much in form so as suggested above if there is an option for a years extension we should keep

Last edited:

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Interesting. I wasn’t aware of this, can you elaborate?

So what I’ve heard is that we insisted on the use of the same surgeon for Lamptey because he’s pioneered surgery for this type of muscle fibre correction whereas historically it was all none invasive. Hamstrings are complex buggers and can not only have causality for other injuries or referred pain/spasm but also be leading indicators of other issues.

This surgeon has a very strong track record of returning players to peak fitness and very few recurrences or referred problems. So whilst it’s a longer time out initially in the long run and even at 30 it’s worth doing.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Welbeck is still only 31 and coming into his best form for years, really need to extend for another year if we can. I've thought that getting Erikson to replace Lallana as the 'experience' in midfield amongst all our youngsters would be superb, but I'm pretty sure AL has another year on his contract. Having said that he's been on the bench quite a bit lately, so it may simply be that GP doesn't think that 'experience' is necessary in our midfield lately.

And who would argue with that :wink:

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Happy to have him for another year, if he can stay fit. I had thought we should go for a Welbeck upgrade this summer, but while he's playing like he is maybe that can be postponed until 2023.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
He gives us exactly what we have been missing up front, a player who can hold the ball up and give CBs a hard time, and he now looks fit and keen. I will be gutted if we don’t give him another contract. With our striker budget we will struggle to replace him with a player of similar quality who is not another gamble.

Unless the club is pretty much done deal about signing some £50m ultra-mega-doom-striker, or if Welbz has a triple-wage-from-NUFC contract waiting somewhere, I'm 100% sure he'll sign for another year or two.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Happy to have him for another year, if he can stay fit. I had thought we should go for a Welbeck upgrade this summer, but while he's playing like he is maybe that can be postponed until 2023.

I wish I could agree, I really do.

The if is far to big an IF and oozing in recency bias.

If Welbeck was fit this season, and if he showed his current form for much of it, where would the Albion be now?

That's a lot of money, and even more stature in the division, you're playing with for what would be a second season running.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Is it me or has he come back fitter and faster since the operation? Kudos to the medical unit for spotting the opportunity. I remember at the time it was felt we had stumbled on the cause of some of his other past injuries and that in performing this new type of surgery we not only prolongued his career but also had the chance to get back a player in better physical condition. That has certainly been proven correct. Well done to all.

Lallana on the other hand.... Jury is out for me on him. Less available this season and highest wage earning. Not sure I would extend unless on 50% reduced terms with a view to a coaching role.

The medical team discovered the long-term, recurring problem with his hamstring and fixed it last time he was out. He hasn't been out since.
Lallana signed a three year deal, so has one more left. If I could, I'd keep Gross for another year instead of Lallana, but that's not where the contract situation stands.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The medical team discovered the long-term, recurring problem with his hamstring and fixed it last time he was out. He hasn't been out since.
Lallana signed a three year deal, so has one more left. If I could, I'd keep Gross for another year instead of Lallana, but that's not where the contract situation stands.

Yup, he is looking very fit in his new hamstrings. Obviously he could and probably will miss some games anyway but if he can play the 20-25 games he has like in the last two seasons, it is obviously worth keeping him. To expect him to be fit for 38 games is probably asking too much.

Will be a different situation for him though, he'll have additional pressure from fans to produce goals which is not, and never has been, his strongest quality. If the team was struggling right now, we'd hear a whole lot about his "just 4 goals all season".

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
It might sound contentious but I would give Welbeck another year and try to move Maupay on. His heart just doesn't appear to be in it, and it might be an opportunity to get a few quid for him. Maybe use him as a make weight in a deal with Blackburn for Diaz?

Sounds like Undav is considered a similar type of player so not sure Maupay is worth keeping for his final year of his contract IMO.

Also with GP utilitilising a more midfield centric system I'm not sure now whether we actually need that many recognised 'strikers' at the club now anyway. Undav, Welbeck, and Fergusson may well suffice next season, and any money we generate in player sales can be used to reduce our debts of £120m.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
It might sound contentious but I would give Welbeck another year and try to move Maupay on.

Not in my household it's not.

Fed up with him rushing chances. missing great openers, shooting when he should pass, pass when he should shoot, etc, etc.

Welbeck a much better, all-round player in my humble opinion ,

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Our best striker by some distance. I don’t think that’s even been in question. His fitness has, but that’s the only reason he’s not still at a top six club.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Seems to be getting better and better as he returns to full fitness and certainly not lost any pace. If there’s a good chance (and it seems there is) we’ve managed to solve his career-long hammy issues then keeping him is a no-brainer IMO. Absolutely oozes both nouse and class - levels above anything else we have up front. He also looks pretty happy with things at the moment. Brilliant pro (like Lallana) for the younger players to be training with too.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here