Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We need a striker or 2- how about?

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Everyones going craaaazy about Lua Lua and yes i'd like the guy back, but im getting concerned about out lightweight attacking options.

With one real decent act at this club at the moment, am I the only one thinking we need more than one.

Ashley Barnes, Id love to be the answer to partner Murray...but see him as an impact player off the bench.

That leaves us very very short and our bench looks threadbare in this area even without injuries.....what i'd give now to have a Forster and Barnes combo sat on our bench on a saturday.

Im confused at why weve struggled to get anyone in, overpriced players, loyalty or lack of money on our front...not sure whats gone on.

It looks as if its been a sight of desperation on our side as we look at norweigen 2nd div players!

Theres decent strikers out there as shown below, to name but a few....why not go for them Gus?

Adam Le fondre
Nathan Tyson
Luciono Bechio
Marlon King
Theo Robinson

I know we need to get the right player and not rush into anything, but the season starts saturday and Gus must be frustrated for whatever reason at out lack of activity in this area.

The longer this situation goes on, the more I think Gus will turn to an area I dont think he wanted to and thats a loaney.

I can see a random prem youngster from say arsenal,spurs coming in if we cannot get a permenant deal going.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I agree, two more are needed. Especially if we play with more than 1 up front.

If we play with 2 upfront, it means Murray and Barnes will start without fail. They can get complaicent as they know they will start. The back up is Gary Hart who hasnt scored in 4 years, and Holroyd who hasnt scored at all.

2 strikers, a winger and another centre back, and I'll be very happy with the squad

I agree, two more are needed. Especially if we play with more than 1 up front.

If we play with 2 upfront, it means Murray and Barnes will start without fail. They can get complaicent as they know they will start. The back up is Gary Hart who hasnt scored in 4 years, and Holroyd who hasnt scored at all.

2 strikers, a winger and another centre back, and I'll be very happy with the squad

I agree with most of that, apart from the centre back. Not wanting to drag it too far off topic, but why do you think we need another centre back? As far as I can see we have Greer, Elphick, El-Abd and Dunk to play there, which seems plenty to me.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Why don't we go for Kyle Bennett as an option if Wolves are agreeable, if he is half as good as Elliot it would be worth it

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
1 striker and 1 winger needed for me.

Definitely don't need any more centre backs with Greer, Elphick, El Abd, Dunk and Tunni on recall.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I agree with most of that, apart from the centre back. Not wanting to drag it too far off topic, but why do you think we need another centre back? As far as I can see we have Greer, Elphick, El-Abd and Dunk to play there, which seems plenty to me.

At the moment, Greer is suspended. El Abd and Dunk are injured. Tunnicliffe is out for the season and not allowed to be recalled.
Elphick and El Abd are prone to massive cock ups. Have been all their careers. They are good blockers and getting their heads on things, but as soon as they try and play football, they dont give me any confidence. We seem to have moulded into a team of passers, and sadly I dont think Elphick and El Abd fit into that 100%. Back up yes, but I would ideally like a fist choice centre back

Why don't we go for Kyle Bennett as an option if Wolves are agreeable, if he is half as good as Elliot it would be worth it

he has been released and available on a free. Currently on trail at Bury

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
Marcus Bent or Jason Scotland. That is all.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Paul Smith keeper - Free
Nathan Tyson - £500k
Random prem youth striker to keep them on their toes for 3-6 months
Lua Lua or Monkhouse.......

Sorted!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
At the moment, Greer is suspended. For two games, one of which is cup and therefore only suspended for one meaningful game
El Abd and Dunk are injured. El Abd was a "doubt" for one game, should be fine by Saturday I thought?
Tunnicliffe is out for the season and not allowed to be recalled. I'm sure after 3 months the recall clause becomes active?
Elphick and El Abd are prone to massive cock ups. Not for months now Have been all their careers. Elphick is HOW old? Give them a break!
They are good blockers and getting their heads on things, but as soon as they try and play football, they dont give me any confidence. We seem to have moulded into a team of passers, and sadly I dont think Elphick and El Abd fit into that 100%. Don't agree there. If you have 3 ball playing defenders you NEED one clogger who does the dirty work. It's why Rio and Terry works excellently, whereas Rio and King doesn't. Even Barca have Puyol.

:rave:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
El Abd was a "doubt" for one game, should be fine by Saturday I thought?

He and dunk had a collision, El-Abd was kept out of the Aberdeen game as a precaution to avoid risking the cut re-opening. You're right, he'll be fine.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
We don't need, and will not sign, a 'keeper.
Is that the same Nathan Tyson that has been linked with Premier League Blackpool? :drink:
Agree about the other two.

All about opinions I suppose, In regards to GK - Poke looks ropey and thats no doubt why he's never made it.

Walker is no challenge for Brezovan as he's too young, but could be the business in a year or 2.

In my opinion our number 1's not the strongest, but Gus wont have 4 keepers at the club....just not sure on the poke signing.

I never heard the Tyson to Blackpool....only club ive heard he's been linked with was a 475k offer turned down from Southampton.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
At the moment, Greer is suspended. For two games, one of which is cup and therefore only suspended for one meaningful game
El Abd and Dunk are injured. El Abd was a "doubt" for one game, should be fine by Saturday I thought?
Tunnicliffe is out for the season and not allowed to be recalled. I'm sure after 3 months the recall clause becomes active?
Elphick and El Abd are prone to massive cock ups. Not for months now Have been all their careers. Elphick is HOW old? Give them a break!
They are good blockers and getting their heads on things, but as soon as they try and play football, they dont give me any confidence. We seem to have moulded into a team of passers, and sadly I dont think Elphick and El Abd fit into that 100%. Don't agree there. If you have 3 ball playing defenders you NEED one clogger who does the dirty work. It's why Rio and Terry works excellently, whereas Rio and King doesn't. Even Barca have Puyol.

Greer, OK but if he gets injured, suspended, we need another rock in the middle. If its just one game here and there. El Abd/Elphick is fine

Tunnicliffe, I am sure it is a non recall loan.

El Abd has been steady I agree, but Elphick not so much. I know its pre season but they were making mistakes, Elphick especially. Watch higlights of that abandoned game for a bit of proof.

I guess you could be right on a clogger in the defence, but against Aberdeen Elphick wasted pocession time and time again by trying stupid hollywood crossfield passes. Against better opposition we will be pt under loads of pressure by just giving the ball away needlessly. See England in World Cup.
I am not saying they are bad players, just need working on to fit into our style. Yes they are young, so maybe in a year or two, they will be what we need.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think Hart is a bit of a wild card in the equation of new strikers.

For the past few years he has been listed as a midfielder on the club website (despite saying he only wanted to play up front - I guess having a job with us trumped preferred position for him). And in those few years he failed to score.

Late last season Gus would bring him on replacing a striker. He still failed to score, but I'm not sure he was ever brought on in search of goals.

So, what is in store for him this year? Is he, as others said, just here for his aggressive closing down, to close out 1-0 leads, a bit of spirit in the changing room etc., or does Gus intend to use him as a striker, and will being used as a striker get him scoring again?

If it's the former we only have three goal scoring forwards, and one of them hasn't actually scored for us yet. So, we would definitely need two more. If it's thet latter, I think we would only need one more, as long as he is scoring.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
All good suggestions however Tyson is being courted by Blackpool and even though they will be lucky to get any points they still have to be a better bet than us.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
decent keeper would be good. gus is clearly chasing a left winger. but other than that, i reckon we're about done.

loads of options at the back, especially now whing has re-emerged. another left back as cover would be nive (not sure why we let mcnultny go)

loads of options in midfield, especially as smith is now involved - although gus seems to be chasing a new left winger (lua lua hopefully!)

and considering we play 1 upfront, we've loads of options there as well. murrey, plus barnes who gus said he really wanted to sign and clearly rates, plus holroyd who gus also seems to rate.

so other than left back, we now have 2 or more options for every position, which is what gus said he wanted. think he said he wanted a squad of 24 but it looks bigger than that at the moment.

All about opinions I suppose, In regards to GK - Poke looks ropey and thats no doubt why he's never made it.

Walker is no challenge for Brezovan as he's too young, but could be the business in a year or 2.

In my opinion our number 1's not the strongest, but Gus wont have 4 keepers at the club....just not sure on the poke signing.

I never heard the Tyson to Blackpool....only club ive heard he's been linked with was a 475k offer turned down from Southampton.

Poke is only 24, no age for a 'keeper. He's also been signed as a number 2, and got good reviews at Torquay over the last couple of seasons by all accounts. I appreciate it's all opinions, but I think it's a bit harsh to judge him on a couple of pre-season games.

The Tyson-Blackpool rumour was on the BBC yesterday (from the Daily Mail, so make of that what you will!).
BBC Sport - Football - Monday's gossip column - transfers and rumours

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here