B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Le Fondre
Chris Porter
Luke Varney
Danny Graham
James Hayter
Gregorz Rasiak

I also think we should have another look at Steven Gillespie who went to Colchester when we were interested, im sure they'd accept to take a loss on him.

Certainly agree re Gillespie... suggested that about a week ago... Monkhouse another option...

We will need to be willing to pay a reasonable sum for a good striker... the big question for me is... are we?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Certainly agree re Gillespie... suggested that about a week ago... Monkhouse another option...

We will need to be willing to pay a reasonable sum for a good striker... the big question for me is... are we?

Andy Naylor suggested yesterday that Bloom would be willing to pay that sort of money if GP wanted it. But there are SO many factors..

People must realise that the CLUB is still making yearly losses. It's not right to ask someone who has not just funded our home but kept us afloat over the last few years to also spend more of his own money (to which we don't know how much he is worth, either) on players that are not necessary. I repeat- NOT NECESSARY.

As per GP's interview yesterday- other teams may have the best players, but we want the best team. We want to replicate Blackpool, Barnsley, Scunthorpe etc as the teams that together go up through the playoffs. A striker is necessary- but if we can get one for free that scores 15 goals, there is no point paying £1million for a player that may score 10 more but may also upset the team balance with a likely cocky attitude and higher wages.

I still believe Murray will score the goals this season. He is just as good as any striker in League One, there is no need to splash 500,000-£1m on his partner.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Andy Naylor suggested yesterday that Bloom would be willing to pay that sort of money if GP wanted it. But there are SO many factors..

People must realise that the CLUB is still making yearly losses. It's not right to ask someone who has not just funded our home but kept us afloat over the last few years to also spend more of his own money (to which we don't know how much he is worth, either) on players that are not necessary. I repeat- NOT NECESSARY.

As per GP's interview yesterday- other teams may have the best players, but we want the best team. We want to replicate Blackpool, Barnsley, Scunthorpe etc as the teams that together go up through the playoffs. A striker is necessary- but if we can get one for free that scores 15 goals, there is no point paying £1million for a player that may score 10 more but may also upset the team balance with a likely cocky attitude and higher wages.

I still believe Murray will score the goals this season. He is just as good as any striker in League One, there is no need to splash 500,000-£1m on his partner.

Well, if we can get one for free, then great, but the chances are EXTREMELY thin, IMHO... I think you are being unrealistic...

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth

I do understand your point and agree with part of it, but there has to be a but.

You say its not right to ask Bloom to fund a big money striker, how is that?

Mr Bloom is our chairman, if he wants the success he has demanded and laid down...i.e promotion this season then he has to spend what is necessary to achieve that.

You go on to say that its not necessary, how do you come to that conclusion?

Our strike force is weak in regards to a starting team and the strength in depth is not evident. We have one proven good striker at this club as of this present moment and thats Murray. I hope Barnes proves himself as a 15-20 goal of season boy...but an impact sub is something I can see him being.

OGH - love him but come on, he's going to steal the odd goal or get a freekick but scoring days are gone.
George Barker - not going to spearhead anything
Holdroyd - I rest my case.

You look at 2x examples of the strike forces in the division at the moment:

Peterborough - Mackael smith/Arron Mclean
Southampton - Barnard/Lambert

We need a proven scorer next to Murray, end of!

I agree we shouldnt go spending a million quid on a risk or on the off chance, but the extra 10-15 goals that the signing could score, could in theory be an extra 12-15 points....strikers win football matches and that could be the difference between going up or not.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Well, if we can get one for free, then great, but the chances are EXTREMELY thin, IMHO... I think you are being unrealistic...

Was referring to someone along the lines of Kandol- even though I'm not a fan of the player. Point is, views on here are ridiculously overhyped- we are a league one club playing in an athletics track who have finished in poor positions 3 seasons straight. Some of the names mentioned are just insane.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Matt Sparrow a proven championship midfielder and in his prime has joined us because he can see the future is bright. Was offered another deal at Scunny and must have had offers on the table but chose to come here. Why not a championship striker????

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Matt Sparrow a proven championship midfielder and in his prime has joined us because he can see the future is bright. Was offered another deal at Scunny and must have had offers on the table but chose to come here. Why not a championship striker????

Midfielders tend to be harder to find than goalscoring strikers. Rowan Vine was linked with us and people didn't want him- I'd say he's the equivalent.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

Interesting about Gillespie, the Colchester Chairman was saying on the BBC that his club could not sustain it's current wage structure, could be worth a punt maybe.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Interesting about Gillespie, the Colchester Chairman was saying on the BBC that his club could not sustain it's current wage structure, could be worth a punt maybe.

I would love him, his style of play is fantastic. He would suit us down to the ground too as it would allow us to play a more 4-5-1 style with him drifting between a striking role and midfield.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Aside from all the bickering and unrealistic targets mentioned like Simon Cox, Robert Earnshaw & Luke Varney.......

In my opinion which doesnt really count for much, I can see us landing a player like Rueben Ried on a season long loan, which i'd be quite happy with.

Its bound to be a player who's 3/4th in the striking pecking order at championship/prem level.

No rumour from me....but i'd be happy with him.

West Bromwich Albion | Team | Profiles | Reuben Reid

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
We are not going to get the type of striker we need on a freebie,so if we have to pay a £1 million so be it otherwise there is no point in having a new manager and stadium.
Championship football at Falmer will result in much higher attendances and income.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
No he isn't. Holroyd's got a miles better touch and football brain than Dickinson.

Wake up! Dickinson was a high-scoring striker in league 2 (Stockport)... hence his move to Derby in the Championship...

Holroyd scored consistently too, but below league level, so we picked him up...

Dickinson now back in the Championship...

Holroyd hasn't scored in league 1...

I know which player I would prefer on the bench...

Not sure you can draw the conclusion you do, but... a strikers PRIMARY role is to score goals, and Holroyd can't seem to do that in league 1... he's had chances and consistently failed... he's not even that young...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here