Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Was the catering better today?

Lush

Mods' Pet
I thought the pies (I tried chicken and ham) tasted great, but I'm not sure it had been heated/reheated/whatever they do as well as it could have been. Possibly lots had been cooked a long way in advance to cope with expected demand - hence the slightly collapsed, soggy, dried up on the top nature? Hopefully that will sort itself out as the season settles down.

The miniature hand-pumps on wheels, selling Harveys in the North Stand concourse, were brilliant. No queue pre-match, no queue at half-time. I don't think the facility to pay by smartcard was available, but - if it cost slightly more - it was well worth the extra to get a beer in quickly and, at half time, to have time to drink it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The miniature hand-pumps on wheels, selling Harveys in the North Stand concourse, were brilliant. No queue pre-match, no queue at half-time. I don't think the facility to pay by smartcard was available, but - if it cost slightly more - it was well worth the extra to get a beer in quickly and, at half time, to have time to drink it.

Indeed. Reckon the catering company must have got a rocket up its arse after the SSC debacle because they made it possible to actually get at the catering products yesterday. No doubt in large part due to the feedback posted on NSC.

Dunk

Jul 27, 2011
Lewes
Queues were, indeed, much much shorter which was great. My card worked which meant they couldn't get my change wrong this week. Pies were nice and don't fall apart like chip shop pies thus enabling me to eat it without using a plastic fork. Was initially worried when I couldn't buy my travel vouchers using my card, didn't really understand why not, but after a 20 minute queue I went into Dick's Bar which was lovely- enjoyed watching train-loads of people coming along the walkway. Dick's seems to hold much more than 200 people. All in all brilliant, looking forward to the first proper game next week. Well done.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Well they were all shuttered up when I came down the stairs so gave up and went home. They must have reopened when I had gone. Perhaps there is some daft rule that they gave to shut at final whistle.

at FT, one in north west corner was open, but one in middle of concourse was closed - they re-opened following obvious demand

for me - HT was disappointing. waited full 15mins to get pie and pint. by time got to the front, didn't bother with pint, as game had kicked off. seems the current system/process doesnt generate much benefit (speed wise) from use of ST card.

pie excellent.

after the game, i loved the fact i could enjoy a drink in WSU then North Stand. stewards made too many comments about wanting people to leave though - if the club is going to benefit from the revenue, they should inform stewards to be more welcoming

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011

Selling bottled harveys from trolleys like the Fosters guy would help speed things up.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Loved my Chicken and ham pie, packed full of chicken and properly nice.

Got no complaints about the queues, they were cirtainly slower than they could be but I think once the staff get more experienced they will churn out food and drink like they should do. Before the game people in front of me were having a chat with the girl behind the counter, really it should be a case of what do you want, card on reader, there it is bye - no more than 30 seconds. Good to see they were pre pouring drinks from the start, and it's good theat my lager was cold and fizzy, lets hope it stays like that.

I think from now on I'll make use of the mobile drink sellers at half time, missed 10 minutes of the second half finishing my drink

Selling bottled harveys from trolleys like the Fosters guy would help speed things up.
Yep. In fact, selling a lot more things from trolleys and handbags (like they were doing with pies and hotdogs) would be a great idea.

I guess it would be too much to ask all the vendors to form an orderly queue and let me choose which ones to give my custom to.

:)

Hawker

Aug 2, 2011
Hey if you guys were wondering about no food stands and hawkers (people who were going around selling food and drinks) after the match that was due to that all the food was sold by the end of half time so there was no more stock to sell sorry about that guys if you were after anything after the match. I know this as I myself was hawking on Saturday

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
WSU at half time was shit. Very busy took ages and ran out of hotdogs. Before the game was fine though! So that's the answer get your stuff before the game! My main complaint was the concourse was A f***ing sauna! Need some aircon!

Pretty much how I saw it. Half time I went 2 mins before the conclusion of the half (missed a goal), and was being served with less than a minute before the end of the half time break. So around a 20 minute wait. Before game was fine, after game the WSU bars didn't open til about 10 mins after the game finished? Don't understand that. It is hot under the roof and concourse but it is rare we are going to bake in the British weather so not to worried about that one.

Think they have everything sorted with pre poured drinks, etc. I just feel the staff are still lacking hugely, but ramp up... next week will be more interesting.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Have they stopped doing the Oriental food already?

In the northern most WSU bar, these options had been covered up on the price list, and oviously weren't available. I'd quite fancied the chillibeef & noodles option. Chicken pie was a very filling substitute though!

I asked them about it after the games, and they said that based upon the experience at the SSC Final, where there was loads of the oriental food left over, they decided to stop it. They couldn't tell me if that was permanently. Shame - it sounds lovely.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Pretty much how I saw it. Half time I went 2 mins before the conclusion of the half (missed a goal), and was being served with less than a minute before the end of the half time break. So around a 20 minute wait.

Half-time is a massive pinch point in stadium catering. Personally, unless I duck down with 5-10 minutes of the first half to go, I simply don't bother. Otherwise, demand is always such that you'll spend a lot of time waiting and then have a massive rush to not miss any of the game.

after game the WSU bars didn't open til about 10 mins after the game finished? Don't understand that.

It was indeed very bizarre. We were waiting at one of the small Harvey's bars, somewhat perplexed at the main bars being closed, when suddenly the shutters of the central WSU bar started going up, so we legged it over to get served. [MENTION=561]Insider[/MENTION] has already responded that they will be open at the conclusion of each match in the future. I'd say they need to be open before the end of the match.

Overall, our experience of the WSU was very good. I can't believe how much they'd improved from the SSC Final, which was horrendous. I truly didn't think it would have been possible to improve by as much as they did - it was a great effort to do so.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Yeah I should have said, a good 70% improvement on the SSC, which bodes well for the future. I'll be knocking the half time pie on the head and having one when I get in. I was served within 3-4 minutes when I got into the stadium, again, excellent improvement. If you were one of those legging it for the open central bar I would have seen you [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] because I was standing opposite it where one of those mobile Harvey bars were, watching everyone trying to get first in the queue!!

nyehus

Jun 21, 2011
was in east stand - queue before game 15 mins, lager V cold, they had pre poured lots of pints and put caps over to stop going flat
half time, took 10 mins, so 5 mins to down the Lager, Brother had Cider not very cold :(, so missed 5/6 mins of second half
After the game, 1 of the 3 bars was closed, had 3rd Pint, still cold - :)

didnt have any food, but people who did appeared to enjoy (ie no waste left)

chaps selling hot food from cool/warm bags - excellent idea
and the guys selling bottles.

separate Harveys stand - excellent idea

a couple of suggestions
1) still think the earlier suggestion of drink only counters is worth looking at
2) why cant Lager/Cider be served from individual stands (ie like Harveys was)

overall thrilled at the new stadium, sat in our ST seats and found they are in a better location than was originally shown on plan.
must remember to take caps next time as after 15 mins, the shine of my brother and I's bald heads must have been blinding the whole of the WS :D

Curly5194

Jun 20, 2011
Horsham
Have you checked the balance online? Ignore what the till says that won't deduct the 10%, but the smartcard reader does it for you.

Sadly not all the tills were working correctly as my 10% was not credited back, but one quick email to customer services and they have said that the 10% will be credited back within 7 to 10 days. So all good.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
I didnt bother but were the queues quicker?

wsu was very quick. nothing like a British queue eh? the staff were friendly and the queue was busted. and the burger i ordered...a mouth full of meat and lettuce, which was devine with a pint of lager. convenient that I have a bar right underneath my seat (ish) i was impressed with the service at the bar. No longer have to worry about getting to the front of a queue like at withdean in time for kick off second half, huh? :lolol: more cheeseburgers though, please.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
2) why cant Lager/Cider be served from individual stands (ie like Harveys was)

something to consider is the need for co2 and cooling, which might need power attached. wouldnt say it cant be done, but alot easier for ale where you just have to plug the beerengine into barrel.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

was this available??

20110706150930_Albion-Ale-10JUN11PH-2416.jpg

Albion Ale brewed for new Brighton and Hove Stadium.
Harveys have created a special, bottled ale – called Albion Ale - to celebrate the launch of the Amex Stadium, which will be sold exclusively at the stadium and in Harveys shop in Lewes,and at Harveys online shop, with 5p from every bottle donated to Macmillan Cancer Support.

Said Bob Trimm , Sales Manager for Harveys, “We have long supported Brighton & Hove Albion and wanted to do something really special to celebrate the opening of their new home at the Amex Stadium, so we hope the fans enjoy our bottles of ale, which are labelled with the club’s great new logo.

“It is a well hopped beer with a blend of four different hop varieties and we hope to sell 200,000 bottles, raising as much as we can for the charity.”

Said Elliott Moore, General Manager of Catering at the Amex, “Being a fan of Harveys ale myself, I am personally delighted to be working with the great old brewery, and I think that our fans and other stadium visitors will love Albion Ale – it’s a delicious beer in a great bottle which also makes for a great souvenir from the stadium opening.

“We are also very grateful for the support that Harveys is giving to support our chosen charity this year – Macmillan Cancer Support.”

The Amex Stadium will be serving local produce as much as possible and recently announced that it would be the first stadium in the UK to bake its own pies in-house – Albion Pies – made from delicious, quality ingredients. It will also be hosting the prestigious Sussex Food & Drink Awards, known as the Sussex foodie event of the year, early next year.

The Albion Ale will be available to buy in the shop and online from 18th July 2011.

Brighton and Hove Albion

Buy ALBION ALE here

Back to headlines

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here