Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

******** WARNING about what you post on NSC *******

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
The main problem seems to be that the Big Board needs to drive the Google traffic, but that Other Stuff isn't bookmarks by many and therefore is rarely viewed.

My suggestion would be to move the "other stuff" forum and have it as a sub forum of The Big Board and literally rename it "not Google safe".

That way, anyone with The Big Board bookmarled can easily click through to the dodgier forum, while the majority of the traffic still hits the main board by default.

THIS. I didn't even realise the "other stuff" forum existed as I just go straight to The Big Board by default.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Me thinks the 'Other Stuff' forum will soon be the busiest section...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
NSC has had a warning from Google in relation to some content on the site and ads have been withdrawn.
Damn, that's a pain.
Please keep it clean on the main board - this is not a place to discuss violence, sex, the female form nor anything you may or may not want to be involved in with the female form. Excessive swearing is also not welcome.
So is this the announcement of a new policy on swearing and certain discussions? I think you said the other day that there was only one banned word, but now we're to moderate our use of other language too (I'm not arguing with that, just clarifying so I know where we are).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
1. Rules / warnings stated.
2. User behaviour changes and adheres to the rules. At the same time moderators are extra-vigilant.
3.After time, users slowly slip back a bit and moderation becomes lighter touch.
4. This continues until something happens that takes us back to 1.

We need to show a greater degree of consistency to try and stop 3 happening in the above cycle.
To stop 3 happening, I think we just need clear rules. When the rule is 'anything goes' then expect the worst. If the rule was 'no swearing', then people would learn to live with that'. We just don't want ambiguity.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
To stop 3 happening, I think we just need clear rules. When the rule is 'anything goes' then expect the worst. If the rule was 'no swearing', then people would learn to live with that'. We just don't want ambiguity.

Google's rules are our rules. They are vague so there will always be ambiguity.

Despite this, I will write something up. But, as above, there will always be degrees of interpretation.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I don't have an issue with dating sites being advertised, the sites are not offensive in themselves.

My Mrs does ... she wonders why I'm being served up with localslags.com or whatever it is. I blamed it on the dog but I'm not sure she believed me

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Google's rules are our rules. They are vague so there will always be ambiguity.
Understood. I made my posts before reading the whole thread.
Despite this, I will write something up.
Definitely worth while. A lot of us are quite capable of swearing like a trouper, but also able to moderate ourselves if we have an idea of the goal.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
It was years ago so I can't really remember. I think it was that most of the ads were quite extreme American Southern states type stuff - just not relevant to us. I might turn them back on and see how they perform.

As a religious person myself, I would not be bothered if the religious ads were left turned off. Any religious groups which advertise are likely to be what I would class personally as dodgy.... said he controversially. Precisely the Southern Baptist stuff (and maybe worse) you mention elsewhere.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
We are all adults here surely we can follow a few rules rather than have to cut the forum up into smaller areas in case we say something we should not in the wrong place. We are all capable of this are we not?
I realise, as was pointed out to me recently, I am a JCL so probably don't have the right to voice an opinion but hey, there it is.
I hope you're not referring to me as that is most explicitly what I did NOT say.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here