Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vicente Still Not in Full Training?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
The difference between Vicente and Hoskins as far as injuries goes is that Hoskins are genuine (eg broken foot) and Vicente's are in his head. Right now I think we need Hoskins more than Vicente, particularly given our record when Vicente played towards the end of last season. Let him go back to Spain.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I agree completely. Vicente has played far more games than Hoskins and didn't put in a request to go out on loan.

Good grief... difference is that Hoskins has had real injuries..... Vicente has had mystery injuries conjured up by him in a fit of pique..... goodbye Dagger.... and don't come back.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The difference between Vicente and Hoskins as far as injuries goes is that Hoskins are genuine (eg broken foot) and Vicente's are in his head. Right now I think we need Hoskins more than Vicente, particularly given our record when Vicente played towards the end of last season. Let him go back to Spain.

How many minutes has hoskins played for us? When he was finally fit, he swanned off on loan. Seems to have a bit of a bad attitude. Hoskins is the one who needs to be shown the door for me.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Good grief... difference is that Hoskins has had real injuries..... Vicente has had mystery injuries conjured up by him in a fit of pique..... goodbye Dagger.... and don't come back.

I think that tendonitus is a real injury and a pig to get right.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
EXACTLY!

It's spells like this that we actually NEED, or the moment he plays half a dozen games and lights the place up, teams would be swooping straight in for him. It's because of this we've got him, and it's thanks to this that we avoid losing him.
We avoid losing him because he never actually plays? Pretty expensive way to warm a treatment bench..

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
We avoid losing him because he never actually plays? Pretty expensive way to warm a treatment bench..

seriously got absolutely ruined for even mentioning this as a thread last week...its a fkin rip off Silk simple as BUT its worth it when he turns on the magic for 12 games (45 mins at a time) when he does...I think not...if he misses most of November and some of december the writing must be on the wall?

cyrilthesinik

Oct 15, 2011
Why does Andy Naylor feel the constant need to shit stir when it comes to Vicente? I dont see anything like the amount of commentry from him on Will Hoskins who has been immeasurably more sicknote.

Yea He loves to stir it up! No facts or quotes from him I would guess.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yea He loves to stir it up! No facts or quotes from him I would guess.

The facts will speak for themselves if he's not involved in the squad on Saturday - 2 months after he last turned out for 15 minutes, since which time he seems to have disappeared with another one of those non-specific injuries we are now so familiar with. And after we were told everyone would be back in full training this week.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Happy to wait for Vicente to regain match fitness if he gets it together just enough to turn in match-changing performances like he did last season.
While I agree how long do we wait until it's time to say enough is enough and let Gus look for an alternative.
If Vicente isn't fit by the January window I'd let him go and bring in fresh legs for the second half of the season.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm not writing him off yet. But seriously, if he doesn't start a match between now and the end of the year, I think we have to review the situation.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

Is it expensive? I have no idea what his wage are. In fact, a bulk of his earnings could be on a pay-per-play in which case it is of no financial consequence.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'd still be surprised if a player of his pedigree was basically here for naff-all.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I'd still be surprised if a player of his pedigree was basically here for naff-all.

I'm surprised a player of his pedigree is here at all.

Sometimes a bad injury history simply doesn't command much money.

Truth is, none of us know, so debating whether he's worth the money, or whether we could spend the money on a quality striker instead is just pointless, as we have no idea what sort of money we are even talking about.

All I know for sure is what I have seen of him playing, and that has been QUALITY (not quantity, sadly).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm surprised a player of his pedigree is here at all.

Sometimes a bad injury history simply doesn't command much money.

Truth is, none of us know, so debating whether he's worth the money, or whether we could spend the money on a quality striker instead is just pointless, as we have no idea what sort of money we are even talking about.

All I know for sure is what I have seen of him playing, and that has been QUALITY (not quantity, sadly).

Sure, but there comes a point where we have to stop yearning for the tricks, flicks, nutmegs and dribbles, and eventually make a pragmatic decision. His contributions look great on an end-of-season video, and I always got a buzz if he was in the starting XI. But his presence last season ultimately brought very little return. He was accomodated into the team, rather than being an essential part of it. We'd be thrilled by some individual moments of genius from him, but the stats would bear out the fact that in terms of results, we were overall less effective. Thats not ALL down to him obviously, but last seasons tail-off pretty much coincided with him finally getting fit and being picked.

Like I've said, I'm not writing him off. But I can't shake the nagging feeling that he's a luxury we can't really afford in this league. I'd LOVE to be wrong on this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here