Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Upheavals at Lewes FC

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
But I am not too sure what a new consortium will bring to the table, other than money.

So what are they investing in and how will they get a return, I find it difficult to see a scenario where there might be a time where they get any money back.

It happens at professional clubs, but at least the money men get some profile and kudos for being associated with Brighton, but Lewes, not so sure.

You don't know what they can bring to the table because you don't know who they are. There could be a construction man, or a marketing man, or a manic football fan, or an ex-professional footballer, or...

But there are two things to consider here.

One, if these are businessmen, they would have some figures in place, a business plan in place, and would like to invest with as little risk as possible, endeavouring to get a decent return. Lewes' future success would be linked to their own. The risk of no getting no return is, of course, very high, but that's their look-out. The fact that planning permission is in place saves a lot of legwork.

Secondly, though far less likely, it could be people who are benevolent, and are not fussed about seeing all of a return.

who me?

Jan 12, 2007
BUNCH OF SEAGULL BURNING BASTARDS THE LOT OF THEM

let them burn in hell

come on you pope
come on you pope

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
You don't know what they can bring to the table because you don't know who they are. There could be a construction man, or a marketing man, or a manic football fan, or an ex-professional footballer, or...

But there are two things to consider here.

One, if these are businessmen, they would have some figures in place, a business plan in place, and would like to invest with as little risk as possible, endeavouring to get a decent return. Lewes' future success would be linked to their own. The risk of no getting no return is, of course, very high, but that's their look-out. The fact that planning permission is in place saves a lot of legwork.

Secondly, though far less likely, it could be people who are benevolent, and are not fussed about seeing all of a return.

Well I did say I didnt know what they can bring to the table.

But I cannot fathom out a scenario where Lewes could give any return to any prospective buyers.

I think we can safely say that it is unlikely to be benevolent backers as it seems that theres no prior link to the club.

Business plans are fine as long as the figures pan out.

I beleive that Lewes as a town and football club has a finite support base that would limit any future success.

I concede that it aint my problem, but a point worth discussing.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Somewhere down the line, someone believes an untapped support base is out there. Granted, Lewes only has 16,000 inhabitants, and its hinterland support is severely limited by the fact that Brighton is on its doorstep.

However, Lewes do know that they can probably count on something approaching 4,000 supporters (judging by the applications they had for their recent cup games) if they really pushed it. Coupled with the notion of more travelling support coming to the Dripping Pan can potentially take attendances over 5,000, which is a vast improvement on their current 800 or so. Hence the need to improve the ground from its current cpacity of 3,300.

No-one is going to expect a return immediately, so, although ambitious, but, with the right plan, and the right marekting, very do-able.

Il Duce

Sussex 'till I die
Aug 19, 2006
NW8
There is absolutely no way Lewes will ever get 4,000 home fans. Not even close. They've only hit the 1,000 mark because they've attracted a fair few neutrals (mainly BHAFC fan) who's popped along to see what's going on down there, and also because of the novelty of it. Look at Crawley. If they can't get a core home support of 2,000 then Lewes certainly can't.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Somewhere down the line, someone believes an untapped support base is out there. Granted, Lewes only has 16,000 inhabitants, and its hinterland support is severely limited by the fact that Brighton is on its doorstep.

However, Lewes do know that they can probably count on something approaching 4,000 supporters (judging by the applications they had for their recent cup games) if they really pushed it. Coupled with the notion of more travelling support coming to the Dripping Pan can potentially take attendances over 5,000, which is a vast improvement on their current 800 or so. Hence the need to improve the ground from its current cpacity of 3,300.

No-one is going to expect a return immediately, so, although ambitious, but, with the right plan, and the right marekting, very do-able.

Wow, I have been quite close to Lewes FC at times throughout the years and in my opinion it could never draw that kind of support, never.

To even contemplate a time when they might reach a level which might draw regular attendances of 1500 is overly ambitious.

Players already demand 500 or more pounds a week to compete at there current level, to progress to a higher level and higher demands by players is unfortunately out of their reach.

The money needed to upgrade the ground is already a burden, I think recently there had 3 turnstiles installed at cost of £15 000 and I am told these are unlikely to be used !!

Money that will be spent on facilities and players budgets, whilst attracted crowds below a 1000 must concern even the most optimistic of Lewes fans.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Is there room for two league football teams in such close proximity? Whilst I think it would be quote fun to have a league neighbour, I wouldn't want some provincial tinpot team taking support from Brighton & Hove Albion. There are bound to be those that jump ship as it would appear to be fashionable at times.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Wow, I have been quite close to Lewes FC at times throughout the years and in my opinion it could never draw that kind of support, never.

To even contemplate a time when they might reach a level which might draw regular attendances of 1500 is overly ambitious.

Players already demand 500 or more pounds a week to compete at there current level, to progress to a higher level and higher demands by players is unfortunately out of their reach.

The money needed to upgrade the ground is already a burden, I think recently there had 3 turnstiles installed at cost of £15 000 and I am told these are unlikely to be used !!

Money that will be spent on facilities and players budgets, whilst attracted crowds below a 1000 must concern even the most optimistic of Lewes fans.

There is no way they will reach 4,000 each week - of course not.

However, there is scope for regular crowds of 2,000, with the occasional gate hitting 3,500 to 4,000. It depends on how they are doing.

Both Eastbourne Borough v Lewes at Christmas attracted capacity crowds - Lewes 2,800, Eastbourne 3,300. Yes, they're one-offs, but with bigger clubs coming to the Pan, there will be more 'one-offs' What's to say that the larger clubs in the Conference wouldn't bring 500 (Cambridge, Oxford, Wrexham etc) or so fans for each game?

Success begat success, and - admittedly reading between the lines - this is what ths new injection of cash is hoping to achieve.

Incidentally, those turnstiles will definitely be used. Two are for the away end, and there is one extra for the terrace, and one for the main stand. The opportunity to move 'ends', or even move from terrace to main stand at half-time will be gone.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
David Arnold and Steve Watts had a meeting with Martin Elliott this morning. Confirmation that Steve King is leaving was received and this is the summary of their discussion:

Firstly, Steve King's contract is not being renewed and this will be his last game as Manager of Lewes FC. Both Steve Watts and myself are very sad at this and wish him well for the future. His leaving is nothing to do with his ability as a Manager but is connected to steps that have had to be taken in order for the club to go forward with the best possible chance of completing the very expensive ground improvements necessary next season in order for us to stay qualified for playing in the Blue Square Premier.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
There is no way they will reach 4,000 each week - of course not.

However, there is scope for regular crowds of 2,000, with the occasional gate hitting 3,500 to 4,000. It depends on how they are doing.

Both Eastbourne Borough v Lewes at Christmas attracted capacity crowds - Lewes 2,800, Eastbourne 3,300. Yes, they're one-offs, but with bigger clubs coming to the Pan, there will be more 'one-offs' What's to say that the larger clubs in the Conference wouldn't bring 500 (Cambridge, Oxford, Wrexham etc) or so fans for each game?

Success begat success, and - admittedly reading between the lines - this is what ths new injection of cash is hoping to achieve.

Incidentally, those turnstiles will definitely be used. Two are for the away end, and there is one extra for the terrace, and one for the main stand. The opportunity to move 'ends', or even move from terrace to main stand at half-time will be gone.

I hope that Lewes are successful but wonder how they get there.

The wages are already at levels that Lewes have never experienced before and would suspect that current attendances might not cover those.

The facilities are another problem that incurs significant costs.

The turnstiles may well be used, but I suspect that they impact very little on the overall ground experience and £15,000 has gone.

Further 'improvements' could run into £100,000's to accomodate 600 paying spectators watching footballers picking up £500 + per week, its frightening.

The consortium have seen something worthwhile, but for the life of me I cant see it.

Their own business plans must show some worth for them, but I hope that it is not based on crowds that you have suggested, I think they are just unattainable.

The fear must be that the club could end up skint.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Following what through? Who's talking about Lewes FC vacating the Dripping Pan? LDC aren't.
If you are going to quote me do so by all means but dont just quote odd snippits which make no sense.;

You stated that they couldnt build at The Dripping Pan because they didnt have permission and also it was ona flood plane to whcih I gave the answer aas quoted.

If my idea of a ground share with BHA at both Withdean and then Falmer was to come to fruition then obviusly they would leave the Dripping pan or keep it as a training ground /reserve games for both teams.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Can't believe the Dripping Pan woudl be sold off for housing because:-

1) hasn't anyone noticed the Housing Market is up shit creek at the moment ?

2) Seeing as the Pan was built by Benedictine monks in 16?? (or whatever) to make salt (or summat like that) surely it has got soem sort of preservation order on it. AND my Grandfather played cricket there and (allegedly) once hit a six from the ground into the station; so I WON'T allow it!!

As my home town (although long exiled) I am chuffed to bits they've been promoted but when you read postings (not necessarily on NSC) talking about them getting Football League status you do think some people just need to go into a quiet darkened room and lie down for a bit!!

Jan 30, 2008
well whopee doo ,no one wants to talk about lewes on here and all of a sudden we have a load of people debating and speculating the going ons at the pan:angry:

Seagulls over Lewes

Jul 5, 2003
Rodmell
WSM%20(18)%20(Medium).JPG

Legend

alan917

Aug 5, 2005
So any thoughts on who they may be lining up?

In todays Non League Paper Kevin Keehan will be the next manager and an ex Brighton player coming in as his coach.
One thing that Steve King had plenty of was contacts and I personally am soprry to see him go.

In todays Non League Paper Kevin Keehan will be the next manager and an ex Brighton player coming in as his coach.
One thing that Steve King had plenty of was contacts and I personally am soprry to see him go.

Have feeling that coach might be dodge, as is retiring at end of season.

Has been mentioned by a few of us worthing fans bout it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here