Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Up to £41 for a match day ticket at the Amex next season, too much?

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
As I expected.

Would you describe demand for football to be elastic or inelastic?

Well it's both surely? Inelastic up to a set point (which I'm not sure anyone knows exactly) and elastic thereafter.

May 17, 2011
1066 country
It's to much, i like to take my mrs & my 2 girls when i can go. we are now looking at £150 with train fair,pies etc. I'll be going on my own me thinks which makes me feel selfish & awfull as my girls love it. :down:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Well it's both surely? Inelastic up to a set point (which I'm not sure anyone knows exactly) and elastic thereafter.

Inelastic for fanatics and elastic for JCL's.

It's the people such as BoF I feel for, who have been squeezed out of watching the club.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's to much, i like to take my mrs & my 2 girls when i can go. we are now looking at £150 with train fair,pies etc. I'll be going on my own me thinks which makes me feel selfish & awfull as my girls love it. :down:

That's the kinda story that makes a difference.

A trip to the cinema would probably cost you a third of that, including some Haribo etc.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Get real there is loads down here

Bollocks to that.

Football should not cost £40 a throw.

Where do you think your money ends up?

I'd rather people spend this massive wealth of disposable income on something worthwhile, not giving a 17 year old the chance to carbon wrap his motor.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
That's the kinda story that makes a difference.

A trip to the cinema would probably cost you a third of that, including some Haribo etc.

I seem to remember Simon Jordan telling the Palace fans to quite moaning about the prices. He said something along the lines of football being cheaper than the opera.

However, most (sane) people do not visit the opera and they are certainly more informed as to whether it is going to be entertaining or not, before they purchase the ticket.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Inelastic for fanatics and elastic for JCL's.

It's the people such as BoF I feel for, who have been squeezed out of watching the club.

I'd go with that as a generalisation, and it's always sad to see true fans be priced out of the thing they love.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'd feel a lot happier if there was a cheap section in the ground. Say a 1000 seats for £10 each for sale on a first come first served and match-by-match basis. I understand the supply and demand angle but I am not happy that people are possibly being priced out. The ground is named the Community Stadium, it will be a shame if it's just the well-heeled members of the community which can afford to go.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
There may well be games where, with more seating, there are 3, 4 even 5k empty seats. That's something we certainly would not want to see and I hope the club can be 'inventive' on filling these.

The extra spaces should see the retutn of free/cheap tickets for organised groups from schools/local clubs and what about offers for students and overseas visitors? Games like our 1st two homes (Cardiff midweek & Barnsley) could have loads of spares and Brighton & Hove, as a holiday resort, should have loads of visitor £'s for the club to market, especially with our cosmopolitan team.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
In a word, yes. It's too much for a game of Championship football.

And I agree with this from HT (although I'd make it £15-£20). If you are selling as many season tickets as we are, you can afford to do this. It's thinking long term, and regenerating your support. Because at some point, whether through relegation or other, the bad times will come around again and fairweather fans will leave in droves.

I'd feel a lot happier if there was a cheap section in the ground. Say a 1000 seats for £10 each for sale on a first come first served and match-by-match basis. I understand the supply and demand angle but I am not happy that people are possibly being priced out. The ground is named the Community Stadium, it will be a shame if it's just the well-heeled members of the community which can afford to go.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
For a home match for me it could be

500 mile journey @ 40 mpg = £70
Match ticket £41
Food and drink £12
Total £123 to see a second division match.

Not easy for Rich Suvner's such as Beachy, but for a Northern public sector worker it is big potatoes.
For this southern public sector (admin) worker, counting just the cost of the ticket, will mean about 4 or 5 games tops in the coming season.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Supply and demand surely? We are in demand, so put the prices up, when the demand is not there as much, put the prices down.

That is what clubs like Derby have done, we're not unique being in this situation. Still another reason to bash the club, maybe we should lower our expectations for this season if we don't want to pay the prices Bloom wants.

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
Ridiculous amount to charge for championship football. I would imagine that's similar to matchday pricing for us in the prem next year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here