Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uncle Spielberg's Film Club

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I fell asleep at the Odeon during 300. First time that's ever happened to me. AND I thought it was quite a good film apart from that. Wierd...

It was probably the tedious fight scenes that did it matt. Or the tedious non-fighting scenes. Or the ridiculous animals/beasts that were in the persian army(I never knew the persian empire included middle earth...).

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Harry Potter.

Was good, apart from the fact they redid the entire ending almost and im not sure ho w thats going to work as part of this ending was key to the start of the next book.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Just seen 16 Years Of Alcohol (Dir Richard Jobson). Scottish film about a violent alcoholic (family viewing and no mistake, me hearties) who wants to reform.

Not as grim as it sounds but not great either...visually creative to a point but derivative scenario seen a billion times.

(By the way, The Captain is a hard marker so that score's not nearly as bad as you may think...if a film's overwhelmingly pants it's 'ungraded'/0.0)

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
"Tell No One"

Saw this little number at the flicks a coupla weeks ago. French thriller.

In a nutshell it features a Gallic Dustin Hoffman lookalike as the husband of a woman though to have died brutally at the hands of a serial killer a few years back. New evidence suddenly pops up incriminating the hubby (cue fugitive scenario). There's some good moments, especially comedy - which The Captain love in films like this - and twists and turns (one or two of which stretch things a bit) plus an unexpected appearance by Kristin Scott Thomas (Englich Patient) who plays the lesbian lover of the main character's sister...didn't know KST spoke fluent French, btw.

Not breath-taking but a stylish and engaging piece that's worth a look.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Green Mile

Revisited an old fave being as there was NAFF ALL on telly last night. Every bit as good as I remembered it. Wonderful slow-burning story that unfolds beautifully, three hours running time that just flies past (always a sign of a good film). Totally engrossing and great performances all round.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Harry Potter Order of the Phoenix.

7.5 not the worst but not the best.

They managed to cut an awful lot of crap out the book tho!!!

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels 7.9

Thoroughly enjoyable comedy about 2 competiive con artists with Caine on top form and Martin at his peak when he used to be shit hot in the late 80's
/ early 90's.

Its one of my favourite comedies especially the scene with Ruprect.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I brought Flags of our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima at the weekend and will report in due course. Say first 30 minutes of flags and one nasty scene when a soldier gets blow up and his severed head lands right next to his mate.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Transformers now taken $ 220 000 000 at USA Box Office.

Goodfella

North Stand Boy X320
Feb 9, 2004
Brighton
'Ghost Riders'

Reluctantly started to watch this, as the wife wanted to, and not being a great fan of comic to screen thought i would stick about 20 mins before returning to my computer, but to my surprise it turned out to be a rather enjoyable' Burning bike' fest, pretty good acting and good effects makes this watchable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here