Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uncle Spielberg Pulls Up Dead

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
The world of lossmaking was rocked to its foundations today when it was revealed that Gareth Glover, hailed as Britain's best loved GG, pulled up dead in this afternoon's NSC Tasteless Pun stakes, and had to be put down.

One racegoer was heard to say, "I can't believe it. He was always there for me, however hard I tried to get away. But for me, the name Gareth will always be associated with punt.” [ At least, that's what it sounded like.]

In an extraordinary career, Gareth seemed always to be running in blinkers - especially when it came to his spectacularly misplaced enthusiasm for anything made of horses, or Americans.

As the news spread, crowds gathered to weep openly in the street. One woman sobbed, "Gareth truly was the voice of the People. Not forgetting the Daily Mail." Many an awestruck columnist would hold off commenting on the day's news until Gareth had shared his unique perspective in the only way he knew how. Ranting.

But racing was in his blood. Which was usually boiling. With Gareth, it was always one old nag after another. He never knew the meaning of the words " Quit while you're behind." But inevitably, after failing to keep up with Desert Orchid, he burst his few remaining blood vessels and sadly had to be destroyed.

His epitaph has been chosen already, "He died flogging a dead horse." Several NSC punters expressed profound regret that the live ones he was always promoting weren't often much better.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Bravo,

I thought that was dead good actually.

It's just a laff innit.

People on here need to lighten up and get their heads out their arses

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Bluejuice said:
People on here need to lighten up and get their heads out their arses
Which is exactly why I posted. As someone whose count has yet to reach 800, I'm astonished at how seriously some people take themselves on NSC. It almost as if they consider themselves to have massive status simply because they spend so much time here -- but it's only a message board, FFS!

Being able to laugh at ourselves provides an important safety valve. But first, you need to be able to find the knob...

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Wozza said:
Uncle Spielberg's okay everyone!!

He's in hospital with a bruised ego, apparently, but is said to be in STABLE condition.

According to the list of people browsing this site (bottom of the main page), he's still around anyway, just not posting (or at least he was, at the time of making this post).

Also, I think the original post was funny, this is 'only' a message board, after all. People should just relax and stop taking things so seriously IMO.

Last edited:

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Gilliver's Travels said:
Which is exactly why I posted. As someone whose count has yet to reach 800, I'm astonished at how seriously some people take themselves on NSC. It almost as if they consider themselves to have massive status simply because they spend so much time here -- but it's only a message board, FFS!

Being able to laugh at ourselves provides an important safety valve. But first, you need to be able to find the knob...

agreed.

If I ever got pissed off with something on here (can't see it happening really) I would just stop posting and reading the board.

What is achieved by telling everone that you intend not to post anymore? It's just attention seeking.

I GUARANTEE that the three people in mid-flounce are reading the board right now to see what impact has been made by their 'departure'.

And the bullying still continues even after he's gone :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Much as I sincerely hope that some of the sulking people come back, is it possible to do a "flounce count" for them, i.e. how many times they've done this in the past?

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Man of Harveys said:
Much as I sincerely hope that some of the sulking people come back, is it possible to do a "flounce count" for them, i.e. how many times they've done this in the past?

You mean below our post count?

That would be superb! I may even do one just to get off the mark!

:clap2:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
London Irish said:
And the bullying still continues even after he's gone :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:
:lolol: :lolol: Yes dear, of course...:lolol: :lolol:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
London Irish said:

If this is bullying then you must lead a sheltered life.

Can't you see that most people are bemused and amused by the hissy fits that have been thrown?

It's post modernist irony, innit.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Well I thought it was excellent Gulliver's Travels. :clap2:

Unfortunately his love of all things American seems to extend to his inability to laugh at himself.

I thought it was funny,
:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here