Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Two match ban for Rooney

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
I agree. You have to allow for swearing in the heat of the moment, so long as it's not abuse directed at the officials or likely to cause violence in the crowd.

One thing you learn as a parent when it comes to discipline is to choose your battles. I'd much rather the FA were throwing their weight around when it comes to surrounding and intimidating the officials. One match ban for all involved.

I've heard this argument quite a bit in the last few days and it seems to suggest that referees deserve to be respected, but as football fans watching the game we don't. That, to me, seems no basis for a campaign of respect, especially seeing as without us there is no game.

Interestingly (and depressingly) we have moved on from the argument about whether footballers should be role models and are now discussing whether they should have any kind of social conscience at all. Rooney was on daytime TV and he decided to call all those that effectively pay his way (and all the children, lets not forget) to 'f*** off'. Repeatedly. And people think this isn't worthy of censure? Seriously? We're not even expecting public decency from our footballers now? Shocking.

Of course there's the whole 'emotional release' thing which is of course absolute nonsense. Most people in Rooney's position would have been, well, happy. I wouldn't be telling the world to f*** off. I may be swearing, that should be expected (if not tolerated direct to camera), but firing spiteful hatred to an audience that includes children. Erm, no.

I wonder where the line is for those that think any punishment is harsh. How about indecent exposure? Perhaps when Rooney scores, smears his dick on the nearest Sky Sports cam and says 'that one's for all the ladies out there' there might be a different reaction. But then again, maybe not. 'Sir' Alex would defend it for sure.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What is the point of giving Rooney a 2 game ban when he earns £180k a week ?

I've heard this argument quite a bit in the last few days and it seems to suggest that referees deserve to be respected, but as football fans watching the game we don't. That, to me, seems no basis for a campaign of respect, especially seeing as without us there is no game.

Interestingly (and depressingly) we have moved on from the argument about whether footballers should be role models and are now discussing whether they should have any kind of social conscience at all. Rooney was on daytime TV and he decided to call all those that effectively pay his way (and all the children, lets not forget) to 'f*** off'. Repeatedly. And people think this isn't worthy of censure? Seriously? We're not even expecting public decency from our footballers now? Shocking.

Of course there's the whole 'emotional release' thing which is of course absolute nonsense. Most people in Rooney's position would have been, well, happy. I wouldn't be telling the world to f*** off. I may be swearing, that should be expected (if not tolerated direct to camera), but firing spiteful hatred to an audience that includes children. Erm, no.

I wonder where the line is for those that think any punishment is harsh. How about indecent exposure? Perhaps when Rooney scores, smears his dick on the nearest Sky Sports cam and says 'that one's for all the ladies out there' there might be a different reaction. But then again, maybe not. 'Sir' Alex would defend it for sure.

He didn't say that at all! I'm not sure anyone knows what he really said as you couldn't really hear it. The common consensus seems to be he said "what, f***ing what?.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Pathetic over reaction to something that really isn't that important - Say Bennett gets the goals that wins us the league one champioship and turns to the camera and
says " f***ing have it" would yuo all think it was fair if he got banned?

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
If we're live on Sky, yes I would think a ban fair. But then again I kinda think that footballers should respect public decency. Call me old fashioned if you will.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Just ban the potatoheaded overpaid twat for the rest of the season and make him send half his wages to Plymouth and Stockport etc etc abnoxious little prick.

HG201

Proud Ruffian
Jul 16, 2008
Birmingham
If we're live on Sky, yes I would think a ban fair. But then again I kinda think that footballers should respect public decency. Call me old fashioned if you will.

I understand and respect your point, but is that really what is on a players mind seconds after scoring a huge goal?

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Pathetic over reaction to something that really isn't that important - Say Bennett gets the goals that wins us the league one champioship and turns to the camera and
says " f***ing have it" would yuo all think it was fair if he got banned?

If you are sitting at home watching the game on TV (and have paid for the pleasure) with your young children, both my 7 and 4 year olds sometimes watch the football you would be happy to explain what he had just said to the camera. Although the full sentence (in rooney world) was not clear the word was and I would not be happy explaining to my children what he meant.

Another example of the joke that is the Premiership Circus and the out of control morons involved and I would say the same if it was one of our players.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
I have no problem with them swearing, I'd do the same, but not into a camera. There's just no need and no I can't believe they get just caught up in the emotion. I've never seen a golfer do it, or a rugby player, or in fact most other sports people. Just dear old Wayne, who is evidently a spectacularly angry young man despite the huge talent, opportunity and privilege bestowed upon him.

Anyone got any clips of a similar reaction from a Brighton player this season? Barnes seemed a bit miffed when he scored the other day, but the over-riding image of Albion goal scorers is something like this:

Glenn-Murray-goal-celeb-Brighton-v-Swindon_2578196.jpg

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Good. Hopefully any appeal will be deemed frivilous, thrown out, and the ban increased to 4 games.

I like the way they are saying that HE came out and apologised immediately afterwards.

"I want to apologise for any offence that may have been caused by my goal celebration, especially any parents or children that were watching. Emotions were running high, and on reflection my heat-of-the-moment reaction was inappropriate. It was not aimed at anyone in particular."

Are we really expected to believe that these were the actual post-match words put together by this semi-literate ratboy, and not some lickspittle manure press officer asked to put something out PDQ to try to diffuse it ? At best he's had this written for him, read back to him, and maybe he's put a thumbprint at the bottom.

If he was going to make a genuine apology, it should have been on camera. Or does he just save those occasions for telling us all to f*** off ?

Twunt.
Spot on,we all know that they were the words of the Press officer,Rooney cannot say sorry,let alone spell it!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I hate United and I can't stand Rooney any more.

However, this is the FA's equivalent of 'evening it up.' They know he should have been banned over the Morrison incident so they've taking the next excuse to teach him a lesson.

And surely if footballers swearing into cameras was such a problem, why don't the live games get time delayed?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
2 game ban seems illogical. Yes, Rooney was wrong, but where's the precedent for this ban, where's the consistency?

It seems to me this is part of a feud between Rooney/Ferguson/United and the FA, all a bit f***ed up.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
2 game ban seems illogical. Yes, Rooney was wrong, but where's the precedent for this ban, where's the consistency?

It seems to me this is part of a feud between Rooney/Ferguson/United and the FA, all a bit f***ed up.

Agreed / exactly!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Anyone got any clips of a similar reaction from a Brighton player this season?

Of course, loads of clips from all the games we have with guys running onto the pitch with a full camera kit strapped to his back into the face of our scorer with sound man in tow!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Of course, loads of clips from all the games we have with guys running onto the pitch with a full camera kit strapped to his back into the face of our scorer with sound man in tow!

The cameraman ran onto the pitch? Why make things up to suit your argument? He did no such thing.

And all those saying it was a release of emotion immediately on scoring - that's frankly rubbish too. I've scored a goal, and yelled "f***ing YES", I'm sure I have. Rooney scored, then got mobbed by his team-mates, then jumped around a bit, then as they all turned to trot back to the centre spot, he runs over to the camera, and unleshes a load of angry abuse. Plain weird.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I can't stand the greedy, potato-headed, granny-bonking, potty-mouthed little turd any more. I'm glad we don't have to support a player like him at Albion, as he is one of the major reasons I don't watch England matches anymore.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
"he runs over to the camera" - not quite sure that happened.

The FA are getting their punishment in for his elbow a few weeks ago against Sunderland that they couldn't act on

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
"he runs over to the camera" - not quite sure that happened.

No, you're right. You and Bold Seagull are spot on. The nasty camera crew ran onto the pitch, and chased little Wayne for a reaction. They followed him around for the rest of the game, then jumped in the bath with him, and stole his shower gel. Its no WONDER he lost the plot under that kind of provocation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here