Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Two match ban for Rooney

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
if the ref had heard it. he would NEVER have got a red card. Therefore, this is just completely inconsistent. I am not a man united fan nor have nay sympathy towards them but you do get the sense with fergie's 5 match ban and now this they are being targeted. Wrongly or Rightly

It wasn't an incident for the ref to deal with though. The FA have clobbered him under their own code of conduct rules, not those that govern the match itself

"A participant shall at all times act in the best interests of the game and shall not act in any manner which is improper or brings the game into disrepute or use any one, or a combination of, violent conduct, serious foul play, threatening, abusive, indecent or insulting words or behaviour."

You can't have footballers gobbing expletives into the camera really, can you ? How can that be acceptable and not punishable ?

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
As opposed to the argument that the big 4 get all the favourable decisions, as the refs are scared at upsetting them and not getting to ref the high profile games any more ?

Seems to be a reputation the FA are trying to get rid of doesn't it, what with the banning of the Red faced one, especially as he misses the Cup semi final (giving another club a good chance to break the United/Chelsea dominance)

I suppose you can argue that The FA can't win - but given the amount of swearing in football anyway, it seems convenient that it's Rooney they are making the example of. I've seen the clip about 4 times, and other than lip reading the f word, i'm not even sure what was said. Still, he's only got himself to blame for being such a stupid idiot.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Interesting conversation on Radio Sussex this morning, it concerned a match between Arundel and East Grinstead I believe. The match ended in chaos with fist fights, several sendings off and an attempt to attack the ref, and, the Arundel chairman being knocked unconscious as he tried to separate two players after the match. I fear that a 2 match ban for Rooney is locking the gate after the horse has well and truly bolted.

It seems that respect between, players/refs and supporters has long gone.

How does a game of football escalate to almost full blown thuggery ? how do one or two incidents or refereeing mistakes create such an atmosphere of hatred ?

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
At Withdean, when it goes quiet. We will often hear players swearing during a match. If the FA want to set such a precedent by banning people for such language then fine but it is something which is so inbuilt into players who play the game that it is almost impossible to change. I personally did not feel offended in the slightest by what Rooney did, and as with the Drogba rant after the champions league defeat for chelsea, i just found his whole rant quite comical.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Am I the only one who feels this is very Harsh? Yes you shouldnt be mouthing of using the f word but a 2 match ban? I do not think that warrants that kind of a ban when a red card for breaking someones leg can get you 3 matches. I think this is riduclous. The passion within the moment can often lead to you swearing, i for one, when Brighton score often will shout out F**ing come on or something. Do i deserve a 2 match ban from the withdean?

I agree. You have to allow for swearing in the heat of the moment, so long as it's not abuse directed at the officials or likely to cause violence in the crowd.

One thing you learn as a parent when it comes to discipline is to choose your battles. I'd much rather the FA were throwing their weight around when it comes to surrounding and intimidating the officials. One match ban for all involved.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
In the McCarthy case, the FA are hiding behind their own ineptly-applied and flawed rules about whether a ref has seen and dealt with an incident or not. Yes, that SHOULD have incurred a retrospective yellow in my opinion, but that doesn't fall within their current rulings.

Swearing at the ref is a grey area, there are different degrees to it. I saw Fletcher of Bournemouth the other night when the ref blew for a foul against him, he was getting up off the floor laughing and clearly mouthing the words "you're f***ing joking ref!". Not in his face, not ranting or raving, he got up and got on with it with a shake of his head. Is that ok ? You're inevitably going to have some industrial language on a football pitch, and in my view that was within the bounds of being ok, as it clearly wasn't a vitriolic assault on the ref.

In my opinion there's a clear difference between the Fletcher incident and actually being in the refs face effing and blinding, and there's also a difference between that and gurning down a live camera lense effing and blinding. It IS hard to find consistancy though, because every offence is different.

Just because every offence is different does not mean the FA cannot find consistency in punishing serious wrongdoing. Clearly there are different levels of seriousness of various different offences, and I would expect the FA to be able to use its common sense (ha!) to distinguish between those levels. I am not suggesting all swearing should be treated the same, I just want the FA to be consistent taking whilst taking into account the seriousness, if that makes sense. To me Rooney directly telling a ref to 'f*** off' (as he has done many times, and many other plays have too) is just as serious as what he did on Saturday, and a player diving and rolling about on the floor when there's clearly nothing wrong with him is just as serious as well. I realise the reasoning the FA used to justify not punishing the elbow, but I feel the rules are retarded and should be changed.

I feel Rooney's punishment is probably fair, but when you compare it with other punishments (or lack of) it clearly is not. People may have different interpretations of seriousness but I don't think many people can be in any doubt that certain offences should warrant more punishment than they are receiving now. The FA is picking and choosing which offences it wants to punish, and I don't think that's right, personally.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
...but surely you have to abide to some kind of code of conduct which states what is and is not acceptable behaviour. Fines are utterly pointless, a telling off is completely meaningless. A two match ban seems fair enough to me.

So why don't the FA do it? You can't just take one case and suddenly announce 'right we're taking this seriously now'.

Adrian 29uk 'I'm glad they have finally done something about it.?' What, ban one individual? When are they going to have the bottle to stop the diving, the dissent and everything else. They've not done anything, they've made a public example of one player, while the rest will just carry on. FA does = f*** All!

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Bit of a joke that really, if it was any player outside of the 'big 4' they'd simply give them a slap on the wrist.

Hopefully acts as a rocket up the arse to stop Rooney acting a dick in the future though, but it won't, he's too thick. Such a waste of great talent.

I would've said the exact opposite is the usual perception, in that the top 4 [especially United] get away with moider? Seems this - and the recent Ferguson decision is sending a clear message out to all teams in time for next season's upping of the 'Respect' campaign.

HG201

Proud Ruffian
Jul 16, 2008
Birmingham
This is crazy in my opinion. That hat-trick pretty much won United the league, and he's not allowed to show emotion? After his performances at the World Cup people were slating him for not showing any emotion, now he shows some he gets punished for it! Shows what idiots we have in charge of football nowadays

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I find it pretty illogical how he can escape any punishment for elbowing James McCarthy, yet gets a 2-match man for swearing.

Also, you see players swearing at referees all the time (including Rooney) yet no action is taken.
And this is why I personally have zero time for them, when I hear refs or the FA bleating on about the latest respect campagin. How can they whine about the abuse they receive, when there are clear rules in place to stamp it out, yet for whatever reason only known to the men in black, they choose not to apply that law time and time again, but if someone whos scored the winning goal in injury takes of their shirt, then woah, gotta stamp on that everytime!!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This is crazy in my opinion. That hat-trick pretty much won United the league, and he's not allowed to show emotion? After his performances at the World Cup people were slating him for not showing any emotion, now he shows some he gets punished for it! Shows what idiots we have in charge of football nowadays

I think he should be punished, but a 2 match ban is ridiculous. He knows he's had a bad season, people writing him off, not good enough etc. etc. He belts in a 2nd half hattrick and asks his detractors 'what, f*cking what?' I watched it and barely heard it, I had to look up what he said! A couple of weeks ago I watch Liverpool v ManU and Carragher attempts take Nani's leg off = yellow card, no further action. FA have got no plan, the only consistency they have is that they are never consistent!

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Over reaction from the FA because its Rooney and it came a day or two after their latest 'respect' campaign. It's make it up as you go along from the FA

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
What is the point of giving Rooney a 2 game ban when he earns £180k a week ?

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
Glad it wasn't just me. Saw him mouthing at the camera but didn't actually hear what he said. If I had, I probably would have laughed.

That, for me, is the worst bit. Yes, you can lip read, but that happens probably once in every televised game, usually followed with the commentator chirping up "well, so and so isn't happy with that"

I've watched it four times and, other than use of the F word, have no idea what he's said!!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Bit of a joke that really, if it was any player outside of the 'big 4' they'd simply give them a slap on the wrist.

To be fair, this has nothing to do with big 4. It's Rooney. No one else would probably do it. Remember this is the same player who slagged off the England fans who had the audacity to boo England after spending thousands to watching dross in South Africa.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here