Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Two match ban for Rooney

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
yeh thank god its not a £10k fine or something stupid like that

this means he will miss semi final of fa cup vs City

at least fa did something proper for a change!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Good. Hopefully any appeal will be deemed frivilous, thrown out, and the ban increased to 4 games.

I like the way they are saying that HE came out and apologised immediately afterwards.

"I want to apologise for any offence that may have been caused by my goal celebration, especially any parents or children that were watching. Emotions were running high, and on reflection my heat-of-the-moment reaction was inappropriate. It was not aimed at anyone in particular."

Are we really expected to believe that these were the actual post-match words put together by this semi-literate ratboy, and not some lickspittle manure press officer asked to put something out PDQ to try to diffuse it ? At best he's had this written for him, read back to him, and maybe he's put a thumbprint at the bottom.

If he was going to make a genuine apology, it should have been on camera. Or does he just save those occasions for telling us all to f*** off ?

Twunt.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The FA are like a cricket captain that puts an extra slip in after the ball has already been edged through. If they want to get tough on managers / players do it across the board, not just in reaction to particular high profile incidents.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Good. Hopefully any appeal will be deemed frivilous, thrown out, and the ban increased to 4 games.

I like the way they are saying that HE came out and apologised immediately afterwards.

"I want to apologise for any offence that may have been caused by my goal celebration, especially any parents or children that were watching. Emotions were running high, and on reflection my heat-of-the-moment reaction was inappropriate. It was not aimed at anyone in particular."

Are we really expected to believe that these were the actual post-match words put together by this semi-literate ratboy, and not some lickspittle manure press officer asked to put something out PDQ to try to diffuse it ? At best he's had this written for him, read back to him, and maybe he's put a thumbprint at the bottom.

If he was going to make a genuine apology, it should have been on camera. Or does he just save those occasions for telling us all to f*** off ?

Twunt.

He didn't even tell us to f-off, I think it was "what? f***ing what?". He was asking us a question to which he now has his answer...

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
Am I the only one who feels this is very Harsh? Yes you shouldnt be mouthing of using the f word but a 2 match ban? I do not think that warrants that kind of a ban when a red card for breaking someones leg can get you 3 matches. I think this is riduclous. The passion within the moment can often lead to you swearing, i for one, when Brighton score often will shout out F**ing come on or something. Do i deserve a 2 match ban from the withdean?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
If he was going to make a genuine apology, it should have been on camera.

Maybe, but it would probably have come out as

"I want to appletize... apolajizm... say sorry for my f*cking bad mouth."

I just wonder what old rednose is saying.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
all a load of bollocks IMO

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Am I the only one who feels this is very Harsh? Yes you shouldnt be mouthing of using the f word but a 2 match ban? I do not think that warrants that kind of a ban when a red card for breaking someones leg can get you 3 matches. I think this is riduclous. The passion within the moment can often lead to you swearing, i for one, when Brighton score often will shout out F**ing come on or something. Do i deserve a 2 match ban from the withdean?

So would you be perfectly happy to see footballers routinely look down the nearest camera and give a foul-mouthed expletive-laden rant to the millions watching at home whenever the mood takes them ? I'm no shrinking violet and I'm not someone who gets personally offended by this kind of thing, but surely you have to abide to some kind of code of conduct which states what is and is not acceptable behaviour.

Fines are utterly pointless, a telling off is completely meaningless. A two match ban seems fair enough to me.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I find it pretty illogical how he can escape any punishment for elbowing James McCarthy, yet gets a 2-match man for swearing.

Also, you see players swearing at referees all the time (including Rooney) yet no action is taken.

Players cheat by diving and playacting, rolling about on the floor like little girls yet most of the time no action is taken (not even a yellow).

The only justification I can find is that perhaps the FA took into account his previous offences.

This sort of thing needs to be cut out the game, but at the same time the FA needs to be consistent.

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
The FA were able to act because Rooney had not been cautioned for the offence, because if the Ref had heard him say those words then is able to issue a straight red card for Foul, Abusive or Insulting Language.

I am only surprised it was just a two game ban.

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
Bit of a joke that really, if it was any player outside of the 'big 4' they'd simply give them a slap on the wrist.

Hopefully acts as a rocket up the arse to stop Rooney acting a dick in the future though, but it won't, he's too thick. Such a waste of great talent.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I find it pretty illogical how he can escape any punishment for elbowing James McCarthy, yet gets a 2-match man for swearing.

Also, you see players swearing at referees all the time (including Rooney) yet no action is taken.

Players cheat by diving and playacting, rolling about on the floor like little girls yet most of the time no action is taken (not even a yellow).

The only justification I can find is that perhaps the FA took into account his previous offences.

This sort of thing needs to be cut out the game, but at the same time the FA needs to be consistent.

In the McCarthy case, the FA are hiding behind their own ineptly-applied and flawed rules about whether a ref has seen and dealt with an incident or not. Yes, that SHOULD have incurred a retrospective yellow in my opinion, but that doesn't fall within their current rulings.

Swearing at the ref is a grey area, there are different degrees to it. I saw Fletcher of Bournemouth the other night when the ref blew for a foul against him, he was getting up off the floor laughing and clearly mouthing the words "you're f***ing joking ref!". Not in his face, not ranting or raving, he got up and got on with it with a shake of his head. Is that ok ? You're inevitably going to have some industrial language on a football pitch, and in my view that was within the bounds of being ok, as it clearly wasn't a vitriolic assault on the ref.

In my opinion there's a clear difference between the Fletcher incident and actually being in the refs face effing and blinding, and there's also a difference between that and gurning down a live camera lense effing and blinding. It IS hard to find consistancy though, because every offence is different.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
if the ref had heard it. he would NEVER have got a red card. Therefore, this is just completely inconsistent. I am not a man united fan nor have nay sympathy towards them but you do get the sense with fergie's 5 match ban and now this they are being targeted. Wrongly or Rightly

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Bit of a joke that really, if it was any player outside of the 'big 4' they'd simply give them a slap on the wrist.

As opposed to the argument that the big 4 get all the favourable decisions, as the refs are scared at upsetting them and not getting to ref the high profile games any more ?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I'm betting it gets turned over at appeal, if it comes to that. I hope it doesn't of course. :thumbsup:

Plus the FA have got this fast track process spot on, a few weeks down the line everybody would have cooled down and this would have been swept under the carpet.

Ferdinand said he had spoken to Rooney and the United forward was "genuinely sorry".

Two village idiots compering notes. Didn't Rooney 'apologise' after speaking into the camera (bollocking the England fans who went out there) after his shit display at the World Cup? He didn't swear on that occasion but he uses the camera in a nasty, aggressive stance.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here