Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tunnicliffe leaving on loan

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You clearly have NO idea. Something I have long suspected.

And you are an expert.

What football qualifications do you hold, have you ever managed. or coached a team? Football is about opinions of those that are in those positions and it is on those opinions that they stand or fall as opposed to some news reporter like Andy Naylor giving an opinion to sell his paper. For an informed opinion listen to people in football like Gus Poyet and judge on their opinions.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
This comment is completly results based but...

Is he that good? he is a defender in a side whose main problem this season has been letting in too many goals

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Are you actually going to state the basis for the 'Tunnicliffe leaving on loan' story, Richie?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I think that is a valid point Kinky.

The defence has been problematic this season. Personally I think a lot has been down to the chopping and changing at the back and lack of real defensive shield infront of them for long periods of the season.

I think Elphick or Tunnicliffe would look better with an older head helping talk them through games.

That said, at the moment we don't have one and, based on performances so far, Tunnicliffe has looked no worse than Elphick or Virgo and, early in the season, far better in some games.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
We need a smaller squad, that requires some players to go - on loan is no big deal, they may come back, they may not be needed.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Having worked as a journalist for the last five years, I think 'wannabe' might be a bit strong.

Also, as I have said before, the blog on Brighton I was asked to do is meant to be purely on players and transfer speculation. Who we should sign, who should sell etc.

If you don't like it, don't read it.

.......which appears to encapsulate your threads on Tunnicliffe et al.....first create the speculation then report on it.

Players who are not regulars in the first team may indeed have to go out on loan just to get matches under their belt as we appear to be unable to get reserve team games played. That does NOT mean they are "frozen out" unless some enterprising "journalist" can create sufficient doubt to justify a storyline that they may just be able to "sell".

Of course such "official" journalistic speculation can ultimately undermine the players and the club but it is "justified" because there has been "speculation among fans".................oh and remind me who created it in the first place?

We readily accuse the Argus of poor journalism when they lift stories from this board. Should we be more tolerant if those stories are created for the express purpose of getting something in print?

Time will indeed tell

PS. sorry about the quotation marks - just thought that in the spirit of journalistic style I would get the justifying quotes in first :lolol:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I think that is a valid point Kinky.

The defence has been problematic this season. Personally I think a lot has been down to the chopping and changing at the back and lack of real defensive shield infront of them for long periods of the season.

I think Elphick or Tunnicliffe would look better with an older head helping talk them through games.

That said, at the moment we don't have one and, based on performances so far, Tunnicliffe has looked no worse than Elphick or Virgo and, early in the season, far better in some games.

How old is Elphick now?

Using your fav team as an example Spurs seem to have a mainly settled defence now and have stopped letting in as many goals (cue 5-0 tonight) maybe thats what Poyet is trying?

However sending a cb out on loan at this stage of ther season is a bit silly when your 20th

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Exactly. We need a settled defence. I would argue McNulty and Tunnicliffe should be in it, others will give a convincing argument for Painter and Virgo.

I just don't see the sense in sending players who are in the first team mix out on loan or alienating others.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Having worked as a journalist for the last five years, I think 'wannabe' might be a bit strong.

Also, as I have said before, the blog on Brighton I was asked to do is meant to be purely on players and transfer speculation. Who we should sign, who should sell etc.

If you don't like it, don't read it.

I think the 'wannabe' tag is more about you coming on here and writing tabloid style posts rather than just stating facts and a balanced opinion.

I've no idea what your writing style is like for your newspaper job, but on here you tend to try and make the biggest drama possible out of what you know and make information fit your opinion, at the moment it's that Poyet doesn't know what he's doing.

We have a surplus of centre backs at the club, we all agree that we need a more experienced person at the back, Poyet rates El Abd (quite rightly given what he's seen of him) so something has to give and unfortunately for Tunnicliffe it might be him who leaves to make space.

Or your source could be wrong.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
.......which appears to encapsulate your threads on Tunnicliffe et al.....first create the speculation then report on it.

is the RIGHT answer, Bozza cant we go back to banning the Rumour Runts until these things actually happen? its obvious they're just fishing and wanking over the threads they create saying to their mummy "look I've made a thread last 3 pages long...whoopee"

losers!

saslowi

Feb 2, 2009
If on an instant recall basis it could be a good move.
All our back up players are in desperate need of match practise.
The biggest danger would be if he goes on loan and gets injured which could f*** us up.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Virgo has been playing his best for quite some time recently, and everyone, at this level, makes a couple of mistakes a season. That was his. There's no way that Tunni should get ahead of Virgo because of that one mistake.

That just leaves the question of how does Poyet rate the following as CB's; Tunni, El Abd, Painter, Jimmy Mac. It tells me that he rates Painter (and possibly El Abd) as better CB's than Tunni, and if he does play Painter in the middle, he feels he has good cover in Jimmy Mac on the left.

Also, all we have seen of Tunnicliffe is whilst playing in a very, very shakey back four. Most players with a bit of composure would have looked good at that time.

And finally, we've seen Poyet trying to turn us into a good, on the ground, passing team, perhaps the other three named above, plus Virgo and Elph are more suited to that style of play than Tunni.

To think he has lost the plot is a bit over the top.

All this is without mentioning the potential players he might have lined up to loan in.

Last edited:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Jimmy Mac has shown that he is weak in the physical side of his game, which is understandable as he probably has a mental hangup. Until he can sort that out he will never be in contention for a first team place.

Tunnicliffe is inexperienced and has cost us numerous goals through his hesitancy so I would agree with him being sent out on loan to get some games in.

my thinking too

how come its the older fans who have the same pragmatic view

no instant flair team for Gus its going to be a slow burn

The French Mistress

Jun 24, 2007
It's all very simple.............they're not Poyet signings and he's starting to clear some of the deadwood out,unpleasant as it might be for some on here. He inherited one of the larger squads in the league and can't keep them all happy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here