Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tube Drivers: What's The Deal? Average salary £37,800.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Am i right in thinking this dispute is/was all to do with ASLEF ?? If so , its got fuckall to do with Bob Crow of the RMT(who i think is a tosser of the highest order).

PS there seems to be a lot of snobbery on this thread begrudging those uppity working class tube drivers a decent wage.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Sorry but I do believe there was mention of platform staff in somebodies post? That has everything to do with the RMT.

Hove Lagoonery

Dec 16, 2008
you can't really say the drivers are getting a bad deal when you look at comparable semi skilled jobs i.e bus driver or lorry driver.
Negotiating London traffic in a bus or lorry is NOT comparable to making a train on rails go faster or slower. In fact, I would say that the job is UNSKILLED, ie no more demanding than a repetitive factory job.

Bob Crow is paid to fight for his members interests. That's what he's doing.

In the long term he won't win. There will be unstaffed stations and driverless trains.

But for now he's fighting for his members interests. What else do you expect him to do?
There will not be(in My life time) driver-less trains,there are automated trains on the Victoria and Central lines,but in order to have driver-less trains all open sections will need to be rid of vegetation within 50 metres,all platforms will have to have platform doors(like Jubilee line extension) which is pretty much impossible with curved platforms.
Ask Yourself would You like to get on a driver-less train?Last year(May) I was driving between Totteridge and Woodside Park When a bench was thrown onto the track,luckily I spotted it in time and stopped,an unmanned train would have ploughed into an most probably derailed,maybe into the path of an on coming train,at the time there was about 50 passengers on-board(not many having just left Barnet on a quiet Sunday morning)Point being,I imagine all 50 were pleased that they were not on a driver-less train.
Not directing this at You THPP,just the wanksplashes on here that want to live in a world where all we do is interact with machines.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
There will not be(in My life time) driver-less trains,there are automated trains on the Victoria and Central lines,but in order to have driver-less trains all open sections will need to be rid of vegetation within 50 metres,all platforms will have to have platform doors(like Jubilee line extension) which is pretty much impossible with curved platforms.
Ask Yourself would You like to get on a driver-less train?Last year(May) I was driving between Totteridge and Woodside Park When a bench was thrown onto the track,luckily I spotted it in time and stopped,an unmanned train would have ploughed into an most probably derailed,maybe into the path of an on coming train,at the time there was about 50 passengers on-board(not many having just left Barnet on a quiet Sunday morning)Point being,I imagine all 50 were pleased that they were not on a driver-less train.
Not directing this at You THPP,just the wanksplashes on here that want to live in a world where all we do is interact with machines.

The DLR is driverless (most of the time). I suspect that there would be a lot more driverless trains if it were not for the unions (and admittedly the poor state of the tracks and signal equipment, something could be paid for by not paying for so many drivers perhaps ?)

The DLR is driverless (most of the time). I suspect that there would be a lot more driverless trains if it were not for the unions (and admittedly the poor state of the tracks and signal equipment, something could be paid for by not paying for so many drivers perhaps ?)
wrong, they have train captains.
some poor underpaid fool onboard,never been on the DLR,many trees by the side of the tracks?
Do You honestly think that the money saved by not having drivers on Your train would be invested in signalling and track?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Bob Crow is paid to fight for his members interests. That's what he's doing.
Incorrect, indeed some of his ballots have been declared illegal due to vote rigging.

In the long term he won't win. There will be unstaffed stations and driverless trains.
Incorrect there are no plans for unmanned stations or trains.

But for now he's fighting for his members interests. What else do you expect him to do?
Think you already made that point... but he is fighting for his own interest not that of his members. Thank God for the Northern Line that rarely follow this troublemaker into his personal battles.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
wrong, they have train captains.
some poor underpaid fool onboard,never been on the DLR,many trees by the side of the tracks?
Do You honestly think that the money saved by not having drivers on Your train would be invested in signalling and track?

They could actually make the Victoria line unmanned as I am sure you are aware.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They could actually make the Victoria line unmanned as I am sure you are aware.

The DLR is one thing, chugging along slowly on overground rails, but I'm not sure I'd feel overly safe or comfortable on an unmanned tube train hurtling around deep underground.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Wrong.
As the law stands at the moment deep level tube trains must have a driver,as I am sure You are aware.
Are You seriously telling Me that anyone in their right mind would get on a driverless train?good lord!

Well most of the control of a rather more complicated aeroplane or ship is done by computer isn't it ? These days an pilot is there to monitor the systems. I don't want to belittle what train and tube drivers do but it's not quite in the same league despite the fact that a lot of commercial pilots earn less than a tube driver.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
law aside, which can be changed easily, whats to stop full automation? the Victoria signalling was upgraded in the past to allow fully automated service. who would get on a driverless train? well thousands get on the DLR without thought. the "captains" arent driving unless they are driving, merely being on the train they have as much control as i do. isnt it all down to the signalling, centrally control, and then the tubes have automatic brakes to prevent drivers going though red lights. isnt it the case that the typical reason a train does go through a red light is when a driver overrides? or is it fail safe, in which case the drive is redundant. if the automated systems are to fault, then there is clearly the technology (see DLR) to correct.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Am i right in thinking this dispute is/was all to do with ASLEF ?? If so , its got fuckall to do with Bob Crow of the RMT(who i think is a tosser of the highest order).

PS there seems to be a lot of snobbery on this thread begrudging those uppity working class tube drivers a decent wage.

Not often I agree with Bushy old chap, but you are bang on.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
after december when half of londons office bods were trying to find some bullshit reason for not going in and sit at home all day watching Dave just because trains werent running on time to the minute and they dont like getting on buses, for everyone to start moaning about a tube strike claiming it is destroying britains finances makes me laugh every time.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Wrong.
As the law stands at the moment deep level tube trains must have a driver,as I am sure You are aware.
Are You seriously telling Me that anyone in their right mind would get on a driverless train?good lord!

Absolutely not I do not advocate it for one minute. However you keep bleating on about hedgerows, etc. As we both know there are no hedgerows on the Victoria line, so I was just reminding you of the fact.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
after december when half of londons office bods were trying to find some bullshit reason for not going in and sit at home all day watching Dave just because trains werent running on time to the minute and they dont like getting on buses, for everyone to start moaning about a tube strike claiming it is destroying britains finances makes me laugh every time.

Wow you're well informed... half of Londons workers didn't want to go to work? Wish I had your genius insight! Incidentally Einstein there hasn't been a tube strike 'after December' yet...

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

Try not to worry about the self employed who won't get paid if they don't get to work. However the latest technology allows more and more people to work from home so before too long it won't make much difference whether there's a transport strike or not.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
£495 for working a bank holiday and then getting an extra day off, almost £4.5k for working all of the bank holidays in a year, incredibly greedy

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here