Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Trump under fire.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I see Geert Wilders has just weighed in blaming lefties etc . Its just a matter of time before Nigel and 30p Lee comment in similar vein.
Indeed.

It’s possible that the shooter was a staunch republican who wanted the traditional GOP back which has now been replaced by the Cult of Trump. However, even if that’s true, it won’t change the narrative of Trump supporters because opinions for them trump facts (pun intended).

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
What surprises me is the shooter missed the big fat bloated piece of 🍊 turd and hit an innocent bystander. Maybe we should blame Putin

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Firstly, I agree. Secondly, and this is going to sound a bit (a lot) like victim blaming, Trump has whipped up hatred and division, his involvement in the storming of the Capitol is obvious - He's even said he will pardon those convicted in the event. Violence was wrong on Jan 6th 2021 and it's wrong today and I'd like to think Trump would recognise these and try calm things down but he won't, he will fan the flames and may reap what he sows. Doesn't make it right though. Sad days.
I think my track record as an anti-trumper is well established. So....

Sorry but that is victim blaming and it is not acceptable. Nobody operating as a democratic leader deserves to be the target of a vigilante assassin. Nobody. Not Trump. Not Farage. Not Orban. Not Le Pen.

And as others have noted, Trump is now a no-brainer shoo-in for Pres.

The shooter, registered republican or not, is a nutter. Or was.

And that's.....all.....folks.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Indeed.

It’s possible that the shooter was a staunch republican who wanted the traditional GOP back which has now been replaced by the Cult of Trump. However, even if that’s true, it won’t change the narrative of Trump supporters because opinions for them trump facts (pun intended).
(We have discussed this stuff before and are in agreement as far as I recall)

I'll stick with the same mantra I use on all these occasions

The 'Islamist' with the sword murdering men women and children on the street
The 'white supremacist' who murdered labour MP Jo Cox
The 'Islamist' who murdered tory MP David Amess
The bloke who shot at Trump yesterday

All mentally ill. By definition.

Anyone claiming their actions brings Islam, British patriotism or the Democratic party into disrepute is disingenuous or deluded.

Whatabout those who Trump has recruited who are flirting with political violence going forward? A separate matter. One my consider the present shooting as 'poetic justice'. Perhaps it is. I'm not a poet. But it is still wrong, and the shooter was a wrong 'un. By definition.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The dangerous far left are showing their hand here. Very sad that a person has died here, and others seriously injured by a 20 year old with a gun. I believe the far left are the ones to watch, pure hatred being released from propaganda.
Guess what it's happening here.
Shooter appears to be a Republican and the emerging narrative in the States is that a de-escalation is needed.

Funny old game innit?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Indeed.

Precisely.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Shooter appears to be a Republican and the emerging narrative in the States is that a de-escalation is needed.

Funny old game innit?
Fancy that!

(Nothing to see here, move along y'all)

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
I saw this thread and really hoped it wouldn't be full of what it is. Some unbelievably naive views. Irrespective of the fact that some are just holding short of celebrating an assassination attempt where an innocent died and 2 others injured which itself is disgusting. Can you imagine the massive shit show that would potentially unfold with Trump devotees if he'd actually been killed?.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015

Sorry but that is victim blaming and it is not acceptable. Nobody operating as a democratic leader deserves to be the target of a vigilante assassin. Nobody. Not Trump. Not Farage. Not Orban. Not Le Pen.

I thought it was a perfectly valid point he made. He wasn't suggesting that anyone deserves to be the target of an assassin. He merely stated that Trump has stirred up hatred and division which is undeniable. Usually it is other people who have suffered the consequences of that hatred and division while Trump is left unscathed. This time he wasn't, he ended up with a grazed ear while two people are dead and two in a critical condition.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

I completely disagree and it is nothing to do with being for or against Trump.

No one on this thread that has referenced Trump’s brand of populism and his divisive anti-establishment rhetoric has said Trump ‘deserves’ to be shot or it is ‘poetic justice”.

Virtue signalling at a time like this, against those that that have recognised for months what is going in the States is also unacceptable.

There is no need to conflate the two and it is just as inflammatory (and dangerous imo) to shut down legitimate criticism of Trump at a time like this by suggestion his critics believe he deserves to be dead - that is also a confirmation bias and a political position whether it is preceded with a qualifier of not being a Trump support or not.

Whatabout those who Trump has recruited who are flirting with political violence going forward? A separate matter.
It is not a separate matter, it is very much part of the discourse, it needs to be and will continue to be. US media are full on discussing how America has come to the point where the far right think that ignoring election results, storming the Capitol and using the threat of WW3 to influence voting is legitimate behaviour in a liberal democracy. No one is accusing the MSM of wanting Trump dead. All are condemning the shooting.

Last edited:

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
While I've said on other threads that I was hoping Trump would be out of the race for President due to his passing, I meant by natural causes. An assassination is totally wrong and i'm glad it failed, it would have been a disaster. One can only hope that this "shocks" America into some sense. Hopefully those undecided won't suddenly knee jerk vote for him, maybe they'll see how he encourages violence and hate. Perhaps depends on how Biden and the Democrats react. We can but live in hope. Thoughts go to the innocent bystanders killed and injured.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Indeed.

Incredible that a 20 year old would have thought about all of this

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The dangerous far left are showing their hand here. Very sad that a person has died here, and others seriously injured by a 20 year old with a gun. I believe the far left are the ones to watch, pure hatred being released from propaganda.
Guess what it's happening here.
And the far right are like soft little angels. Grow up.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I see Geert Wilders has just weighed in blaming lefties etc . Its just a matter of time before Nigel and 30p Lee comment in similar vein.
Surprisingly enough, our Nige just popped up live on the Laura K politics show. Nice for him to have a bit of time in the spotlight .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here