NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What I find surprising about this is just how lax the security is. He was just lying on a roof, did nobody think “hmm, that’s a weird place to be, maybe we should go check that”?

I’ve not been following the story but how does someone not get spotted early on a near by roof. I remember the Brighton Labour conferences year ago and they had multiple look outs all over Brighton on roofs.
`If you go back to the BBC interview with a bloke who was there, the shooter wasn't just there waiting to shoot, it seems he clambered onto the roof during the speech.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I’ve not been following the story but how does someone not get spotted early on a near by roof. I remember the Brighton Labour conferences year ago and they had multiple look outs all over Brighton on roofs.
I saw a video earlier if a guy who saw him and raised the alarm to police and security services but was waved away. ☹️

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I don’t think anyone is “short of celebrating”. I do suspect that there’s a lot of “well, what the f*** did you expect?” if you continually ratchet up the tension and division in a nation full of nutters with guns. They have mass shootings every day, have previous with shooting their leaders….it was inevitable.

Prayers, and more guns.
Careful - comments like that will attract an accusation that you are ‘victim blaming’.😉

Totally agree with you though - the real concern is Trump’s reaction the moments after the shooting and the MAGA crowd’s response - aggressive, defiant and hyped. His first reaction was understandably concern for his safety but then very quickly turns it into an opportunity to rally support.

Surely, any reasonable person would think this incident should come as a wake up call and it should be a time for self-examination and quiet reflection on how to make America safer, not using a violent situation to drum up even more violent rhetoric?

Nigel Farage now also using the attack to blame ‘liberal intolerance’ and how liberals and Biden have ’encouraged this behaviour’. These people are all cut from the same cloth.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I am personally against Trump’s politics. However, regardless of how divisive Trump’s own rhetoric is, I have only abhorrence for political violence, it makes us all poorer by trying to stifle free debate.

My thoughts are with the individual who needlessly lost their life. That shouldn’t happen attending a political rally of any sort.

The gunman I have less sympathy for, violence begets violence, always. Untreated/insufficiently treated mental illness and unfettered access to firearms will always make a poor combination.
I don’t think you can say “regardless of how divisive Trump’s own rhetoric is” because his ideas and words are powerful…you only need to think back to the Capitol Hill riots to realize this.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Exactly. How did a roof (or access to the roof) go unsecured. A roof that was 150m away and with direct line of sight of the podium. It's unbelievable.

How did that not get secured?

The shooter was on the downslope of a pitched roof so would have been unsighted to the counter-sniper team on the barn behind the podium.

How did the secret service allow 'dead ground', unsighted to them, not have cover from another position?

The shooter would have then be sighted, possibly at the last moment, to the counter-sniper team. The sniper team were looking at that area so how did he manage to fire three shots?

The people were telling police and secret service there was a shooter on the roof. Why was trump not removed from the podium or agents immediately placed on stage.

It is a complete failure of sound security planning and a failure of implementation of standard protection procedures and incident response.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I saw this thread and really hoped it wouldn't be full of what it is. Some unbelievably naive views. Irrespective of the fact that some are just holding short of celebrating an assassination attempt where an innocent died and 2 others injured which itself is disgusting. Can you imagine the massive shit show that would potentially unfold with Trump devotees if he'd actually been killed?.
with time, it may well have been a positive thing, but we can never know

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
This has pretty much won him the election, right?
Not necessarily- I think all that will happen is both sides will blame the other and double down on their partisan position… Am I the only one that is thinking this Election campaign needs to be suspended for a few weeks and both candidates need to step away? America desperately needs some de-escalation at the moment.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Indeed. It hasn't passed the thick ears and into the flabby brain of the usual right wing suspects on NSC yet, though, who are accusing the likes of me (and you I'll wager) of triumphalism, revealing our wicked murderous left wing hand, etc.

Aside from the tragedy of the two deaths, this completely cements Trump as Next Prezzy, so it is lose-lose all round. A sort of inverse Gavrilo Princip situation.
Unfortunately it didn't pass the thick ear of Trump either. If it had done the political ramifications could have been less serious. A complete miss would have been the best outcome.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Not necessarily- I think all that will happen is both sides will blame the other and double down on their partisan position… Am I the only one that is thinking this Election campaign needs to be suspended for a few weeks and both candidates need to step away? America desperately needs some de-escalation at the moment.
Trump has never acknowledged he lost the last election. Incited a riot at the Capitol. This isn’t a man that’s going to look to de-escalate any situation that might benefit him.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
What I find surprising about this is just how lax the security is. He was just lying on a roof, did nobody think “hmm, that’s a weird place to be, maybe we should go check that”?
Seems a lot of people, including the likes of Musk, are suggesting that because of how easy it was deliberate negligence.

What a shit show of affairs with both sides throwing around conspiracy theories.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Trump has never acknowledged he lost the last election. Incited a riot at the Capitol. This isn’t a man that’s going to look to de-escalate any situation that might benefit him.
That's the real concern now.

A man with a history of consistently amping up hate-fuelled and violence-inciting rhetoric will be walking into the Republican Convention starting tomorrow, likely feeling justified to ratchet things up to a whole new level.

He's never been a man for restraint, but that is exactly what is needed right now.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It sure has, Kinky. Please lay off the American youth phraseology in future, you're a middle aged man from mid-Sussex for fark's ache!
:love: :amex: :thumbsup: :wink:
Totes amazeballs.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
America desperately needs some de-escalation at the moment.
It’s not just America that desperately needs some de-escalation at the moment.

Seemingly, the usual protagonists have seamlessly moved from the UK election threads, to the Labour 100 Days in Power thread and now to this thread.

It would be great if those intent on lobbing thinly-veiled insults, sneers and smears at other members heed @Bozza ‘s request to be a little kinder and just dial it back a bit please.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That's the real concern now.

A man with a history of consistently amping up hate-fuelled and violence-inciting rhetoric will be walking into the Republican Convention starting tomorrow, likely feeling justified to ratchet things up to a whole new level.

He's never been a man for restraint, but that is exactly what is needed right now.
Horrible isn't it?

Guaranteed he will implicate Sleepy Joe, Crooked Hilary and others in the assassination plot.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Probably been said on here already but you gotta love the yanks shouting USA USA 30 seconds after a load of bullets have reigned into them.i'd still be on the deck

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Anyone that thinks this was staged is a flatearther and moon landing denier. Ridiculous

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here