Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trendy Brighton Parents

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
re. TLO's pic: 'NIMROD' is indeed a fine name!

re. Cornelius; Kindly Ape.

though re. Irish names, as well as my very own Finn and Kieran, our extended family includes; Aoife [prn. Ee-fa], Niamh [Neeve], Blathnaid [Blon-ath], Orla, Olga, Sinead [Shinade], Deidra, Patrick, Padraig [Por-ag], Phidelma, and Quoife [Quee-fa].

Being the English side of the partnership, it has taken me most of my 12 years of marriage to learn to spell and pronounce them all! Still don't know how to spell the last one.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I went to school with an Aboriginal named Mate, his parents were both drunk and high on petrol when he came into the world and thats all they could say "Hello Mate" and so it stuck. Nice kid, shame his parents got such a bum steer in life and he ended up being adopted out.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
My name is one of those in your list, two are my middle name, one is my husband, one his sister and another mine.

I have never heard of Quoife. Maybe it's Caoimhe?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
ben andrews' girlfriend said:
There's a kid called Chelsea in the council house nextdoor to me

I dont mind calling a girl Chelsea....Clinton's daughter and all that.

The things that I find starnge is where people are called Apple and Peaches and stuff like that.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Starry said:
My name is one of those in your list, two are my middle name, one is my husband, one his sister and another mine.

I have never heard of Quoife. Maybe it's Caoimhe?

Indeed. Obviously I know your names from past chat. I'll guess at Niamh, Orla, for middle names. Paddy's sister is Deidre, and yours is Phidelma.

How'd I do?

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
hans kraay fan club said:
Indeed. Obviously I know your names from past chat. I'll guess at Niamh, Orla, for middle names. Paddy's sister is Deidre, and yours is Phidelma.

How'd I do?

Almost right! Heh.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
tedebear said:
I went to school with an Aboriginal named Mate, his parents were both drunk and high on petrol when he came into the world and thats all they could say "Hello Mate" and so it stuck. Nice kid, shame his parents got such a bum steer in life and he ended up being adopted out.

I find that story depressing and funny.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
tedebear said:
It is isn't it! My high school had an Aboriginal reserve attached to it...Quite a few funny stories - often sad as well!!

The story is sad but the image of two mashed up Abos who are so far gone they can only say 'hello mate' makes me laugh. It probably shouldn't though.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Stoichkov said:
The Fiveways has become increasingly infested with these sorts of parents, having completed what is annoyingly known as the 'Hanover Hop' in order to secure a place at Balfour School.

Surrounded by 'North Village Cafe' 'The Fiveways Deli' and a Tin Drum, the Zoo and neighbouring Ladbrokes are now an endangered species.:nono:

Haha! I grew up at the bottom end of Ditchling Road in the mid-to-late 1990s, went to Balfour and Varndean, and used to hang around Fiveways all the time (drank in the Stanmer from the age of about 16!)

It used to be chavtastic: the mother of the hardest boy in my year ran the greengrocer's there; Tucker's burger joint was the chav hangout of choice. I stopped going to the Stanmer when one of my friends got attacked by a snooker-cue wielding crack addict!

There are advantages to the gentrification of these sort of places (more jobs, less litter, less crime etc). The exponential rise in twats per head of population is NOT one of them.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
andybaha said:
We are foster parents and heard the following from a social worker. Nowadays when kids are adopted the adoptive parents are not allowed to change the kids names. Therefore birth parents that know their kids are going to be taken away from them often give the kids names that are easy to trace or sometimes even out of spite. In the case we were told about, a birth mum had twins that she named Dick and Fanny.

Thats not strictly true. Certainly, Social workers do not like the names of children being changed, esp if they are older children. Afterall, its their identity. They have had everything else taken from them, so its important that they at least keep something i.e there name.

In the case of names that can be traced, then social workers encourage the names to be changed, as tracing simply cannot happen. Where the names are ridiculous, then adoptive parents can either opt to shorten it, or use/choose a middle name. Friends of ours adopted a child called destiny, but gave her a middle name of Poppy. Which I think is a lovely name for a lovely little girl.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Dave the Gaffer said:
I dont mind calling a girl Chelsea....Clinton's daughter and all that.

The things that I find starnge is where people are called Apple and Peaches and stuff like that.

Sounds very different from a 20 year old chav mum!!!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
Haha! I grew up at the bottom end of Ditchling Road in the mid-to-late 1990s, went to Balfour and Varndean, and used to hang around Fiveways all the time (drank in the Stanmer from the age of about 16!)

It used to be chavtastic: the mother of the hardest boy in my year ran the greengrocer's there; Tucker's burger joint was the chav hangout of choice. I stopped going to the Stanmer when one of my friends got attacked by a snooker-cue wielding crack addict!

There are advantages to the gentrification of these sort of places (more jobs, less litter, less crime etc). The exponential rise in twats per head of population is NOT one of them.

People always used to get attacked by the cues in the 'stabber'.

Tuckers is the shiznit, you can stick yer Grubbs up yer ARSE.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
dougdeep said:
I love the name of that reporter for the ITV.
Nina Nannar.

090BAE79BCD42A039FE6331FAD0E853F.jpg

_39871951_hadingham.jpg

Fenella Fudge:lolol:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
DIFFBROOK said:
Thats not strictly true. Certainly, Social workers do not like the names of children being changed, esp if they are older children. Afterall, its their identity. They have had everything else taken from them, so its important that they at least keep something i.e there name.

In the case of names that can be traced, then social workers encourage the names to be changed, as tracing simply cannot happen. Where the names are ridiculous, then adoptive parents can either opt to shorten it, or use/choose a middle name. Friends of ours adopted a child called destiny, but gave her a middle name of Poppy. Which I think is a lovely name for a lovely little girl.

Different local authorities have different policies; some (like Brighton) will not let the children's name be changed, other LAs are not so dogmatic, although, as you say, changing names is not encouraged and the middle name option is used instead. Some of us non-adopted people use our middle name too. :)

Adoption policies have come up here before. There's no such thing as what's allowed and what's not. This doesn't just apply to names, but ages of adopters, whether the adopters are overweight or smoke, whether the adopters have criminal records etc Each adoption agency sets its own policy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here