Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trendy Brighton Parents

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Stoichkov said:
The Fiveways has become increasingly infested with these sorts of parents, having completed what is annoyingly known as the 'Hanover Hop' in order to secure a place at Balfour School.

Since when was it 'The Fiveways'? ???

Lord Bracknell said:
Boudicca.

Who would call their child Boudicca?

Apart from the White Witch of East Saltdean, of course.

The family who's daughter is in my daughters ballet class, thats who!

Their other kids are Desdemona, Hermione and (I think) Oscar. They don't come from Brighton - does that count??

Sep 30, 2006
Up in the Gods
Reading this thread reminds me of a story when my oldest brother was born (he's now 50). My parents decided to call him Ian but my Grandad (apparently) was up in arms - he said "Ian? What kind of a name is that! Can't he be called something easier to spell like John?"

Mate of mine, in his 30's has the middle name of Hunter. Still can't make my mind up about that one.

Fiveways is definitely getting "cool, groovy & hip" since the days when I was I lad. The Dip used to be a no-go area if you didn't have a mate who lived round there & weren't a recognised "face". Now "The Dip" is what you get with your nachos.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Nobby's Betamax Video said:
Reading this thread reminds me of a story when my oldest brother was born (he's now 50). My parents decided to call him Ian but my Grandad (apparently) was up in arms - he said "Ian? What kind of a name is that! Can't he be called something easier to spell like John?"

Mate of mine, in his 30's has the middle name of Hunter. Still can't make my mind up about that one.

Fiveways is definitely getting "cool, groovy & hip" since the days when I was I lad. The Dip used to be a no-go area if you didn't have a mate who lived round there & weren't a recognised "face". Now "The Dip" is what you get with your nachos.

Ahh - the gold old days of when the stanmer pub used to be so bad, the police would throw pissheads into the abbatoir down Hollingbury Road and they'd be served back up to the punters as chicken chowmein in the chinese between sandgate and hythe road!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I used to live at the bottom of Hollingbury Road, Number 5, the green house with the overgrown garden, when it was ordinaire. The Jolly Brewer was anything but, and in the Hollingbury you could write your name in dust on the tables. Used to live right opposite Ned Hoskins, the beardy biker artist type who was the first person to do the Open House thing. Actually, come to think of it, he's got a lot to answer for.

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
Before I was forced to move out of my last house, the ASBO family next door had children called: Jordan, Ashley, Courtney, Kacie and I kid you not..... Shakira. All various different shades and fathers, they were friggin horrible.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
My chavy next door neighbour had 5 kids and they were all called Wayne.

I said to her what do you do when you want one particular child to come in.

She said she just shouted out their surname.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Frutos said:
Ah yes, another commonly mis-spelt one (I have 2 friends with that name, one of whom spells it with an 'h' and an 'a', and the other of whom spells it with no 'h' and a 'o')

Then you have 2 friends that cannot spell their own name! It's my name too, and I'm with Gully - no "h" and an "a" second last.

Apparently the name means "Gift from God"
:angel:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
pasty said:
Then you have 2 friends that cannot spell their own name! It's my name too, and I'm with Gully - no "h" and an "a" second last.

Apparently the name means "Gift from God"
:angel:

So there are three variants of that name, two varients of my own name, and I'm sure there are plenty of other names with multiple possible spellings (my younger brother has one that can be spelt at least 4 different ways that I've seen).

Make you wonder how these varients came into being (although in the case of my name, I suspect it was people simply spelling it phonetically, which makes perfect sense to me)?

My name apparently (although more directly the other spelling), is derived from the Greek word for 'crown'.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Tom Hark said:
Since when was it 'The Fiveways'? ???

Its funny, I've always called it 'The Fiveways' (in a similar vein to calling 7 Dials 'The 7 Dials') but have associated dropping of the 'The' with the general rise of ponciness in that area which can also be linked with the recent trend for calling the playing fields around the schools the 'Balfour Campus'. Campus FFS!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Stoichkov said:
Its funny, I've always called it 'The Fiveways' (in a similar vein to calling 7 Dials 'The 7 Dials') but have associated dropping of the 'The' with the general rise of ponciness in that area which can also be linked with the recent trend for calling the playing fields around the schools the 'Balfour Campus'. Campus FFS!

Well, have to call you up on your incorrect usage of 'The' in that case. Been here since the late seventies and it's always been Fiveways and Seven Dials in all that time. Oh, and Preston Circus also, in case you were thinking of adding an erroneous 'The' :lol:

Cheers for informing us of the quite vomit-making news that there are actually ponces out there who complete the 'Hanover Hop' in order to secure a place at the 'Balfour Campus'. These must be the same people who grimly jog around the place of a Sunday morning, like they were in Central Park or something. Smithers, release the hounds..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here