Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Travelling fans should read this -

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Cardiff's travelling stewards handed out leaflets to fans at various away games last season in a bid to explain the situation and discourage people from standing.

It didn't make a scrap of difference, and now our lot are moaning about further reductions to our allocations at various grounds.

You're lucky you've managed to get away with it for so long.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
The Laughing Bluebird said:
Cardiff's travelling stewards handed out leaflets to fans at various away games last season in a bid to explain the situation and discourage people from standing.

It didn't make a scrap of difference, and now our lot are moaning about further reductions to our allocations at various grounds.

You're lucky you've managed to get away with it for so long.

You are right I admit.

Tooting Gull said:
While pathetic - this is no idle threat. I know Leeds fans don't tend to illicit too much symapthy on here, but a workmate says they received exactly the same warning last season, as others have before.

Everyone ignored it - and as a result they had their allocation at Sunderland, where they would have taken 4-5,000, cut to 1,500.
If the Watford allocation gets cut in the same proportion, our 2,248 fans will be competing for about 700 seats.

:eek:

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
The confusing thing about this issue is that it doesn't seem to be a country-wide policy. Some clubs, such as Forest and Sunderland, regularly cut allocations because of standing. Others don't seem bothered by it at all. I believe it has something to do with the safety committees in certain areas.

"Persistent standing in seated areas is dangerous. There is a far greater risk of serious injury if you stand for long periods in a seated area and whilst we know some of our fans would like to stand up at matches the Ground Regulations state that no standing is permitted in seated areas while play is in progress."

Eh?
Can someone try and explain this nonsense to me. how is persistent standing (presumably one is pretty still during this time) more "dangerous" than sitting" ? :shootself

this just idiotic thinking. why not just admit that it infringes the terms and condition of sale of the ticket and throw the people out, during the game, thereby implimenting their policy properly. Could that be because it casues less trouble to leave people alone during a game......

And presumably its fine to stand up when the game is not in progress - ie free kicks, throw in, substitutions, sending offs etc

Last edited:

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Bozza said:
Why do we all (well at least 90% of us) sit at Withdean then?

Bozza, it's probably because only the 'ultras', who tend to go to away games, usually stand, and a considerable number of them do not attend games at Withdean, which is probably why the atmosphere is better at away games.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
We sit at Withdean to keep the seats dry that's why.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
West Hoathly Seagull said:
Bozza, it's probably because only the 'ultras', who tend to go to away games, usually stand, and a considerable number of them do not attend games at Withdean, which is probably why the atmosphere is better at away games.

We have Italian neo-hooligans following us ?

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
The confusing thing about this issue is that it doesn't seem to be a country-wide policy. Some clubs, such as Forest and Sunderland, regularly cut allocations because of standing. Others don't seem bothered by it at all. I believe it has something to do with the safety committees in certain areas.

I expect the problem is the clubs that do report this have safty officers who like to do things by the book and aren't football fans who understand the situation.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
_wilka_ said:
I expect the problem is the clubs that do report this have safty officers who like to do things by the book and aren't football fans who understand the situation.

I distinctly remember that safety committees were mentioned when this issue was being discussed on our site last season. It was after Sunderland had cut our allocation quite considerably. Their stadium manager said the club didn't want to cut our allocation, but they had no choice as they had to follow the recommendations of the local safety committee.

Something like that anyway!

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
I have been away for a few weeks but got this on my e-mail today, seems pertinant to what is going on here. i can forward the jist of this thread or copy the offical sites statement to them , but as i have not been to a game yet due to sunning myself in the south of france someone who was a derby may wish to give a first hand account

Dear Members

The FLA continue to insist that their measures to force people to sit are
in fact working and that stadiums full of seated supporters will soon
become a reality be it through education, persuasion under the guise of
customer care, ejections with persistant standers being banned or stands
closed down.

We feel that an element of supporters will continue to stand and that
their standing should be managed appropriately with those wanting to stand
being able to do so in lower tiers among like minded supporters.

With this in mind, it would be extremely helpful if you could let us know
what is happening in your grounds on a weekly basis. We will comply the
information you provide us with and use for a proposed report for
presentation to the FLA and DCMS.

1. How many people stand, for how long and in which part of the ground?
This is particularly important

2. How do the stewards deal with those who stand?

3. Are the away supporters able to stand or are they made to sit?

4. As an away supporter, what are your experiences?

5. Have you witnessed any trouble between supporters and stewards and/or
police as a direct result of standing?

You letting us know as what is happening on a regular basis would be of
huge help.

For further news on our progress, please go to the news section at
www.standupsitdown.co.uk

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:
If the Watford allocation gets cut in the same proportion, our 2,248 fans will be competing for about 700 seats.

:eek:

If this happens then some of those missing out (me included) will end up going into the home ends, which is obviously safer than standing for 90 minutes. :angry: :angry:

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Yup. Home and away terraces on the Grange End, and a home terrace that runs the length of the field on the Bob Bank.

Don't you have to get rid of terracing now, as you've been in the First Division/Championship for 3 years? And do fans still stand in the seats at the back of the Bob Bank?

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
Stinky Kat said:

We feel that an element of supporters will continue to stand and that
their standing should be managed appropriately with those wanting to stand
being able to do so in lower tiers among like minded supporters.

wow - how simply, how easy!

why cant they just f***ing get on and do it!
:bounce:

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
e77 said:
We have Italian neo-hooligans following us ?

Just a term used for the keenest fans following a club, not suggesting that we have fascist fans, well there may be some, but that's their business. Swindon had a flag saying Ultras in their home end in the play offs, which was quite amusing. On another point, how is it safe to stand in a mosh pit at a gig and not at a football ground? And why are non-league clubs allowed to keep terracing?

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Don't you have to get rid of terracing now, as you've been in the First Division/Championship for 3 years? And do fans still stand in the seats at the back of the Bob Bank?

This has been discussed on our site, and I don't know the answer to be honest. Apparently, Championship clubs who have been given planning permission for new grounds are granted a special dispensation to keep their terraces open until the new grounds are built.

That's the rumour anyway, but I don't know how true it is. What I do know is that our terraces are still open, and there has been no mention from the club of any plans to put seats on them.

Yes, fans do still stand in the seated area at the back of the Bob Bank. The stewards regularly try to get people there to sit down, but to no avail.

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
On another point, how is it safe to stand in a mosh pit at a gig and not at a football ground? And why are non-league clubs allowed to keep terracing?

agree 100% my friend - it is a load of bollox!

Rugby league - super league - packed grounds, full of terracing, German premier leagues - f***ing rammed ground all terracing.

england prem & chapionship - trying to make them boring f***ing library's only suitable for a school trip or fmily outing!:angry:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here