Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Travelling fans should read this -

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
bhaexpress said:
Wasn't ment to be a swipe at all. Sadly Cardiff do have a frankly well founded bad reputation.

Yes they do, had an interesting canter back from Ninain Park to the station a few years back. However I was pleasantly surprised at how much more hospitable our game there was in February. It was still edgy, but there were no hoards waiting for us. TLB has gone on for a while that they have been trying to sort the problem out and things seemed to be better.

I was just waiting for somebody to tell him that it was their fans fault due to past problems that has caused the allocation to be cut and not the stated fact that they all have piles and cannot sit down.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The Laughing Bluebird said:
I'm not sure to be honest, but the reductions are considerable. For instance, two seasons ago we took something like 2,400 to Forest. Everybody stood, so they cut our allocation to around 1,400 last season. Everybody stood again, so they informed us that we would only get around 800 tickets this season. But then they got relegated anyway, so it's not an issue!

I don't have the figures to hand, but our allocations are often cut quite dramatically over this issue.

Do they still give you the same number of seats - say 2400 at Forest - but only give you 1400 tickets using the rationale that 2400 people standing is not safe but 1400 people is a safe number to stand when there are 2400 seats? Or do they reduce the size of the space given to you as well?

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
I can only recall two away games last season where the stewards told supporters to sit down.
One was Nottingham Forest where the stewards efforts were met with constant performances of "stand up if you want Falmer" which meant that most of us ended up playing musical chairs throughout the game.
The other was Leeds and that seemed to upset a few people and ended up with a few people being chucked out for refusing to sit.
Apart from that I think nearly all fans stood up at every other away game I went to. I'm surprised we've only just received a warning like this. Other clubs have had it pretty bad (Cardiff, Leeds, West Ham and Forest I think) and had huge reductions in allocations. The fact that this tactic doesn't seem to work, as TLB has testified, doesn't seem to put off the local authorities one bit or persuade the FLA to actually look into the problem and work something. Maybe when all away fans have ended up being banned and home ends shut down, leaving most clubs on the brink, will something happen.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Uncle Buck said:
Yes they do, had an interesting canter back from Ninain Park to the station a few years back. However I was pleasantly surprised at how much more hospitable our game there was in February. It was still edgy, but there were no hoards waiting for us. TLB has gone on for a while that they have been trying to sort the problem out and things seemed to be better.

I was just waiting for somebody to tell him that it was their fans fault due to past problems that has caused the allocation to be cut and not the stated fact that they all have piles and cannot sit down.

Quite true, they have made a lot of effort but nowhere near as much as Millwall have.

There's another dimension to this that someone needs to give some thought to.

If (when?) our away allocation is reduced, how will ticket sales be managed?

Let's use Watford as an example.

Vicarage Road has a capacity of 22,000. Away fans are normally entitled to 10 per cent of that - 2,200 seats.

If a cap is put on the Albion allocation which is significantly below that (say we lose a quarter of the allocation we are 'entitled' to), we might end up with no more than 1,650 tickets.

Last season, we took 2,248.

How will the Albion decide who gets the tickets?

Will it be the new system for high-demand matches (AMS members and Season Ticket Holders with separate quotas)?

Or will someone suggest that known 'standers' (who have 'caused' the reduction in the allocation) should be the ones who don't get tickets?

What I do know is that a chant of "Stand up if you think Derby City Council's Football Liaison Officer is a WANKER" won't get us very far.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
bhaexpress said:
From the Official Web SIite, sounds a bit iffy to me but they've said it.

for whatever reason 1,500 out of 1,700 Brighton supporters stood throughout the game...it is unnacceptable for this amount of away supporters to stand. This problem needs addressing by Brighton management.'

Perhaps if only 1400 instead of 1500 stand it'd be o.k? Maybe there could be some kind of lucky draw on the turnstiles to see if you have to sit down or stand up?

Persistent standing in seated areas is dangerous. There is a far greater risk of serious injury if you stand for long periods in a seated area and whilst we know some of our fans would like to stand up at matches the Ground Regulations state that no standing is permitted in seated areas while play is in progress.

Seems like a good argument to BRING BACK TERRACING.

"We're not talking about standing during goals, exciting parts in the game or when singing 'stand up if you want Falmer' - that's fine, provided fans sit down again afterwards."

Personally I find every second of a Brighton match incredibly exciting. Even half time.

Just give us some f***ing terraces.:thumbsup:

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Bozza said:
Do they still give you the same number of seats - say 2400 at Forest - but only give you 1400 tickets using the rationale that 2400 people standing is not safe but 1400 people is a safe number to stand when there are 2400 seats? Or do they reduce the size of the space given to you as well?

At some grounds, such as Forest and Sunderland, they reduced the space as well. At others, such as Reading, they simply reduced the number of tickets.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Another example of the excessive nannying we have to put up with these days. Martin Perry says that 'there are many fans who wish to sit down and can't because of people standing in front of them'...well there are plenty of us who wish to stand up but can't because the choice has been taken away from us, but we weren't bloody consulted were we?

I swear to God they're trying to turn it into opera......don't applaud at the wrong moment, for Christ's sake, you'll look such an idiot.....

:angry:

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
Lord Bracknell said:

Or will someone suggest that known 'standers' (who have 'caused' the reduction in the allocation) should be the ones who don't get tickets?

you mean the ones that make up the 400 odd that go to chesterfield on a tuesday or the 800 that go to leicester even when its on tv!!!

the "standers" i think you'll find do make most of the following for all games, not just the biggies!

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton till i die said:
you mean the ones that make up the 400 odd that go to chesterfield on a tuesday or the 800 that go to leicester even when its on tv!!!

the "standers" i think you'll find do make most of the following for all games, not just the biggies!

I think we have our first 'if this happens I shoud get a ticket because' post on this thread.

That has helped my hangover no end....

Herne Hill Seagull said:
we weren't bloody consulted were we?
It's easy to say that there was "no consultation".

However ... the move to all seater stadiums at the higher levels of the English game came as a direct result of the obvious need for something to be done in the aftermath of the Hillsborough disaster.

There was a massive amount of public participation in that debate.

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
Ex Shelton Seagull said:
Maybe when all away fans have ended up being banned and home ends shut down, leaving most clubs on the brink, will something happen.

was thinking the same thing fella - if we all carry on, in the short term we will get affected, but when all the clubs start reducing capacities the clubs will be f***ed - then they WILL have to stop and have another educated look at it.

the taylor report is bollox and needs re-writting!:angry:

Kukev31

Feb 2, 2005
Birmingham
We all like to praise are away support for the atmosphere it creates. If the "standers" are stopped it will be as quiet as anyone, with all are support sitting down in silence.

Brighton till i die said:

Precisely!

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
Uncle Buck said:
I think we have our first 'if this happens I shoud get a ticket because' post on this thread.

That has helped my hangover no end....

quite the opposite make - i think you must have had TOO much beer as you can see this right....

im saying that the STANDERS shouldn't be the only ones who lose out on tickets as LB stated as an option....BECAUSE then on the shitty less glamorous games we'd only have a handful of people there!
:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
Uncle Buck said:
It has its flaws, but I suspect some of the Hillsborough families would disagree with you.

fucks sake mate - go back to bed!:lolol:

it has LOTS of flaws the main one being that terracing caused the hillsboro disaster - it was the f***ing stewarding that was cocked up and the mass amount of extra tickets on sale

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here