Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Travellers in Preston Park again (now in Waterhall)...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’m sure there are rules, bylaws, guidance, etc in place to protect private and council land, and indeed the travelers’ rights, however the travelers seem to have no regard for these rules, etc so when they illegally move onto someone’s land the onus is on the council or police to move them on. This is always going to take time if met with aggression, non co operation, children, pregnant women, and anything else that might complicate the situation.

The Council is in an almost impossible position, however it grates on the local law abiding citizens when they are punished for minor misdemeanours (parking, rubbish, etc) because they are easier to trace and fine, yet the more damaging and disruptive actions of the travelers go unpunished.
I can’t recall seeing a traveler prosecuted for criminal damage, trespass, or whatever the correct technical term is.
Annoying. Is this a shrug one's shoulders and get on with it, chunter mutiny in a futile manner, or actually find some sort of pitchfork, moment?

It seems that howling at the moon every time this happens is a pointless waste of lunacy, if you'll pardon the expression.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Wasn’t aimed at you individually but just shows the way it is on this board. As stated I’m no fan of their wrong doing, however they appear fair game, say anything against the ‘pro noun’ strange ones and it’s WW3. Couldn’t make it up. Double standards are staggering.
I'm not sure that someone who's preferred pronoun is 'they' would warrant quite so much ire as someone who goes around trashing green spaces, looting and causing general mayhem.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Annoying. Is this a shrug one's shoulders and get on with it, chunter mutiny in a futile manner, or actually find some sort of pitchfork, moment?

It seems that howling at the moon every time this happens is a pointless waste of lunacy, if you'll pardon the expression.
I suppose the purpose of this thread is to 1) let off a bit of steam and 2) warn others about areas they might wish to avoid

Not sure what else we can do. No one in authority seems to want to take this on.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I suppose the purpose of this thread is to 1) let off a bit of steam and 2) warn others about areas they might wish to avoid

Not sure what else we can do. No one in authority seems to want to take this on.
Yes. Nicely put. I salute that :thumbsup:

Seagull Stew

Crack me up, I’m no tinker fan but if these were non binaries you weirdos would be saying why do they have to conform to normal living standards. Double standards.
I don't care who people are, I care what people do.

There is a difference between accepting people for who they are, as long as what they do does not affect others in a negative way, and accepting people for what they do, when it does affect others in a negative way, regardless of who they are.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I don't care who people are, I care what people do.

There is a difference between accepting people for who they are, as long as what they do does not affect others in a negative way, and accepting people for what they do, when it does affect others in a negative way, regardless of who they are.
Quite. A person should to be judged on character alone. We've gone past creed, color, sexuality, religion, race and all that. Well, most of us have.

Although we do struggle on preferred football team sometimes... 😂

I don't give a flying flamingo if people want to travel around as a lifestyle. They shouldn't experience prejudice. But travelers in Brighton have always been a nuisance.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
female one in front of me at costa london road yesterday , rude as f*** to the staff, no please or Thankyous. Ordered 2 hot chocolates and then went to the disabled toilet for about 10 minutes before coming back. Clearly doing a massive shit. Oh, and she was wearing skimpy Lilo and Stich short pyjamas and slippers at about 11am, leaving nothing to the imagination at about 30 years old. Horrible people , probably the only type of people that I’ve never met a nice one

To be fair, as far as run-ins with travellers go, doing a big shit and not saying thank you for her hot chocolates is pretty low down the list.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Yup, and keep your dog on a lead so it doesn’t get “swapped”.

I can’t speak for the race as a whole or those who have settled down, but the ones who travel the country are sub human scum.
They are not a race surely,.... just a card carrying criminal enterprise with roots in the Irish working class community.

Reactions: abc

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Quite. A person should to be judged on character alone. We've gone past creed, color, sexuality, religion, race and all that. Well, most of us have.

Although we do struggle on preferred football team sometimes... 😂

I don't give a flying flamingo if people want to travel around as a lifestyle. They shouldn't experience prejudice. But travelers in Brighton have always been a nuisance.
.... they are a plague.... here in Somerset from Easter until Autumn, the transient 'Oirish' flow across the land stealing, fighting, drinking and smashing at will... the authorities do the bare minimum... which is nothing in reality..... with the flaky liberal groups insisting that ever more tax payers money gets spent on developing hardly used permanent sites for them to use.

Reactions: abc

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
.... they are a plague.... here in Somerset from Easter until Autumn, the transient 'Oirish' flow across the land stealing, fighting, drinking and smashing at will... the authorities do the bare minimum... which is nothing in reality..... with the flaky liberal groups insisting that ever more tax payers money gets spent on developing hardly used permanent sites for them to use.
It seems that flakey liberals is what you lot want. It's called democracy. You may not like it, but you'll have to live with it.

1718003022227.png

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
liberal with a small 'l' .....
No, in Somerset your authority is Liberal with a big L. See the data I posted.

If you think the way travelers behave in Somerset is unique and due to your 'liberal' local authority, you are either wrong (because it is national laws that define the parameters) or your fellow Somerset electorate folk disagree (perhaps they think, like I do, that national laws define the rubric) and/or enjoy the presence of the travelers and/or don't care.

My expectation is that the national government defines the rubric and, just as it has done with The Boats, is incompetent and/or doesn't really care about the issue.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
No, in Somerset your authority is Liberal with a big L. See the data I posted.

If you think the way travelers behave in Somerset is unique and due to your 'liberal' local authority, you are either wrong (because it is national laws that define the parameters) or your fellow Somerset electorate folk disagree (perhaps they think, like I do, that national laws define the rubric) and/or enjoy the presence of the travelers and/or don't care.

My expectation is that the national government defines the rubric and, just as it has done with The Boats, is incompetent and/or doesn't really care about the issue.
Gawd.. the LD's are not the 'liberal' groups I referred to... pay attention.... the liberal groups ( small l) are the so called civil liberty groups who are the types that would maybe have more concern for the welfare of an aged oak tree in a park, than they would for a homeless veteran sleeping under a railway arch.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Gawd.. the LD's are not the 'liberal' groups I referred to... pay attention.... the liberal groups ( small l) are the so called civil liberty groups who are the types that would maybe have more concern for the welfare of an aged oak tree in a park, than they would for a homeless veteran sleeping under a railway arch.
Ah, pressure groups.

Sorry, I don't take any notice of them, and they don't make the decisions.

Are you suggesting the police in Somerset don't apply the law for fear of liberal pressure groups? If so that would be very poor.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Ah, pressure groups.

Sorry, I don't take any notice of them, and they don't make the decisions.

Are you suggesting the police in Somerset don't apply the law for fear of liberal pressure groups? If so that would be very poor.
I can tell you this, traveller interactions by the Avon & Somerset police are confined to managing local residents' anger when a group of travellers smash down fences, and leave sh!t and p!ss all over playing fields every summer across the region ... heaven forbid that they should address the criminality that follows the arrival of our 'oirish' friends.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I can tell you this, traveller interactions by the Avon & Somerset police are confined to managing local residents' anger when a group of travellers smash down fences, and leave sh!t and p!ss all over playing fields every summer across the region ... heaven forbid that they should address the criminality that follows the arrival of our 'oirish' friends.
That's very poor. So what's the problem? You mentioned 'liberals'. Are 'liberals' running the local police?

I took a look at the laws on travellers someone linked earlier. It is a baffling load of nonsense and if I were a chief constable or a member of the council I would not know exactly what I could do.

I think it may be time to encourage an upgrade in how these issues are policed. Whether this is a matter for lobbying the local council, or lobbying central government, if you consider it an unmet need, the the right people need to be lobbied and put to work.

But I am not sure that wringing one's hands and moaning about 'liberals' is particularly useful. If you simply wish to emote, of course, I'm sure that moaning about liberals will be sufficient.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
I took a look at the laws on travellers someone linked earlier. It is a baffling load of nonsense and if I were a chief constable or a member of the council I would not know exactly what I could do.

We have experienced all of the following in our community from (so called) Travellers:

• Breaking and entering
  • Theft
  • Threatening behaviour and intimidation(verbal and physical)
  • Arson
  • Defecating in public spaces
  • Vandalism
  • Fly tipping
  • Aggravated trespass*
Which of the above would a chief constable not know exactly what they should do?

*I leave trespass to last as there is a myth that trespass by Travellers is somehow legal. It is not, clearly demonstrated by the fact that landowners, councils etc can use the courts to force them to move on. This, however, takes time and costs many £thousands - often of local taxpayers money. The law can protect local communities but the Police (ie those in command; my experience of the ordinary copper is they would love to be able to act but if they do so will immediately be suspended - this from several horses' mouths) are a combination of disinterested and scared (scared of deluded liberal MPs and scared to stand up to criminals who will fight back).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here