Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Travellers in Preston Park again (now in Waterhall)...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We have experienced all of the following in our community from (so called) Travellers:

• Breaking and entering
  • Theft
  • Threatening behaviour and intimidation(verbal and physical)
  • Arson
  • Defecating in public spaces
  • Vandalism
  • Fly tipping
  • Aggravated trespass*
Which of the above would a chief constable not know exactly what they should do?

*I leave trespass to last as there is a myth that trespass by Travellers is somehow legal. It is not, clearly demonstrated by the fact that landowners, councils etc can use the courts to force them to move on. This, however, takes time and costs many £thousands - often of local taxpayers money. The law can protect local communities but the Police (ie those in command; my experience of the ordinary copper is they would love to be able to act but if they do so will immediately be suspended - this from several horses' mouths) are a combination of disinterested and scared (scared of deluded liberal MPs and scared to stand up to criminals who will fight back).

If this were the case then police chiefs would be instructing police to not address any crime in case it offends someone, or the accused 'fights back'.

What you are suggesting therefore is there is a criminal conspiracy among travelers to do all those things and a criminal conspiracy among the police and liberal MPs who are deliberately turning a blind eye to criminal activity when it is done by travelers.

The offenses in your list are not always investigated no matter who is deemed to be the culprit, traveler herbert or non-traveler herbert. I am therefore calling out special treatment of travelers as bullshit, urban myth, and stuff a bloke 'told me down the golf club'.

It may well be that a load of traveler crime is not investigated, but the reason for that is that a lot of crime is not investigated. When my son was hospitalized by a witnessed assault and the attacker named, the police and CPS decided to not prosecute. What makes you thing a bit of petty burglary and public defecation is going to be treated any more seriously, whether it came out of a traveler's arse or not?

I think there is a serious issue here, and that suggesting there is a conspiracy to protect travelers is more likely to cement the problem in place than trigger action to deal with it. If people want crimes investigated and more of those arrested to be prosecuted then we need changes to the criminal code, and massive investment into the police and the legal system (which is in a complete mess now due to underfunding and the way it is managed). Without this, police will continue to ration their efforts, and endless bleating about the problem with travelers (or do-as-you-likies as they are so dismissively described) will just be met with the rolling of eyes. Focus on the crimes rather than focus on a community that is (perhaps rightly) perceived to be disproportionately associated with certain crimes. You can lock people up for crimes but you can't lock them up for being travelers. And stop blaming liberals. I don't like liberals, but this is just boring and old-mannish to drone on about them as if it is all their fault.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
That's very poor. So what's the problem? You mentioned 'liberals'. Are 'liberals' running the local police?

I took a look at the laws on travellers someone linked earlier. It is a baffling load of nonsense and if I were a chief constable or a member of the council I would not know exactly what I could do.

I think it may be time to encourage an upgrade in how these issues are policed. Whether this is a matter for lobbying the local council, or lobbying central government, if you consider it an unmet need, the the right people need to be lobbied and put to work.

But I am not sure that wringing one's hands and moaning about 'liberals' is particularly useful. If you simply wish to emote, of course, I'm sure that moaning about liberals will be sufficient.
This is the problem, the liberal traveller pressure groups create enough uncertainty that the authorities take a hands off approach..... at one whiff of discrimination or the dreaded word, 'racism', the authorities would rather leave it be.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is the problem, the liberal traveller pressure groups create enough uncertainty that the authorities take a hands off approach..... at one whiff of discrimination or the dreaded word, 'racism', the authorities would rather leave it be.
Wow. Those liberal traveler pressure groups must be remarkably powerful. Top lawyers? Perhaps I'll give them a ring - they should be able to sort out our long-running dispute about the bridge over Faversham Creek in a couple of days! Can you direct me to their web site?

(I have done a bit of research. There is a list of all British pressure groups here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pressure_groups_in_the_United_Kingdom
I couldn't see any liberal traveler pressure groups, but a few right wing ones that are against travelers such as countryside alliance.

Looking up 'GRT itself, I cannot see any reference to any influential liberal traveler pressure groups: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gypsy,_Roma_and_Traveller_people_(UK). So I look forward to your guidance. Remember, liberal, traveler pressure group, influential and impactful. Thanks.)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So, I have been doing a little bit of research and the 'traveler crisis' has a the same strong smell about it as the 'illegal asylum' crisis.

In 2019 the tories, spearheaded by Priti Patel, revisited 'travelers' for purposes of electioneering. Another subject that we can 'all agree about'. Lots of hot air, lots of weaponizing.....'forcible assimilation' proposed....

And what happened? Remember this is the tory government 'headed' by Johnson, Lizzie and now Sunk. Have a guess. That's right f*** all. f*** all. f*** all.

Typical Tories, caving in to the first 'liberal traveler pressure group' . . . . or, in fact, jogging on to another wheeze once it becomes clear the public has lost interest. Fie upon them.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Wow. Those liberal traveler pressure groups must be remarkably powerful. Top lawyers? Perhaps I'll give them a ring - they should be able to sort out our long-running dispute about the bridge over Faversham Creek in a couple of days! Can you direct me to their web site?

(I have done a bit of research. There is a list of all British pressure groups here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pressure_groups_in_the_United_Kingdom
I couldn't see any liberal traveler pressure groups, but a few right wing ones that are against travelers such as countryside alliance.

Looking up 'GRT itself, I cannot see any reference to any influential liberal traveler pressure groups: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gypsy,_Roma_and_Traveller_people_(UK). So I look forward to your guidance. Remember, liberal, traveler pressure group, influential and impactful. Thanks.)
No, I think I will leave you to your googling and condescension ... I'll continue to live in the real world of the annual traveller scourge, here in the west country, and almost certainly in many other regions.

Reactions: abc

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No, I think I will leave you to your googling and condescension ... I'll continue to live in the real world of the annual traveller scourge, here in the west country, and almost certainly in many other regions.
Sharpen the pitchfork, and Godspeed!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Anyone know if the travelers are still at Waterhall?

Apparently the number of caravans and trucks have increased and are spread down the far side of Waterhall, close enough to the bushes for their rubbish and shi*.

FFS.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
To suggest there isn't a different way of policing travellers as opposed to other people is absolute nonsense. We recently had a bit of plant stolen, the local post office cctv captured it being driven past, followed by a transit pick up before turning into the local site. Absolutely no interest whatsoever. I grew up near the Robertsbridge camp and it was well known the police would never go anywhere near it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
To suggest there isn't a different way of policing travellers as opposed to other people is absolute nonsense. We recently had a bit of plant stolen, the local post office cctv captured it being driven past, followed by a transit pick up before turning into the local site. Absolutely no interest whatsoever. I grew up near the Robertsbridge camp and it was well known the police would never go anywhere near it.

This gets frequently mentioned in passing on police documentaries. It’s not a human rights thing. Instead they have to enter in big numbers because of the oh so predictable violence, intimidation. Making it more complicated and delayed.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This gets frequently mentioned in passing on police documentaries. It’s not a human rights thing. Instead they have to enter in big numbers because of the oh so predictable violence, intimidation. Making it more complicated and delayed.
Yes, but that is all bollocks, isn't it. I mean, both the excuse, and whether is is even a real thing.

I would be interested to see data on which crimes the OB are unable or unwilling to engage with, in relation to the ID of the alleged perpetrators. Of course, no such data exists.

Which is why I made sarcastic comments about all the glib assumptions on this thread yesterday.

"It has been alleged that two plus two makes five. This is too much. Something should be done about it. But it won't, because of liberals."

I mean...Christ. WTF. Think it through. I don't mean you, Westy. Others. They know who they are.

I maintain that the police and the CPS don't bother with far too much that they should bother with, and travelers is just one example thereof. We need to ask what the f*** have the Tories done with the country; fannying about with Brexit while Rome burns, not dealing with criminality, underfunding the police while overburdening them with paperwork.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Seems like they have left Waterhall but have left their rubbish for someone else to clear. No surprise there.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
There’ll be someone in the comments section of the E Argus saying ‘’Aww but they aren’t harming anyone” 🤦‍♂️
They should probably talk to the poor bloke who had his dachshund run over by a DAYL on Hove Lawns as they were driving an untaxed and uninsured (and later abandoned) car across the lawns to try and rob breakfast from the cafe.

mile oak

May 21, 2023
Im not a traveller so I dont know what options are available but why there? Sun sea sand? They literally have pitched up on someone front or back lawn. Not far from a convalescent home. One thing they wont do is pitch up in LA as the locals would have them run outta town.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here