Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Travellers in Preston Park again (now in Waterhall)...

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
I find it an odd one. The idea of being racist against a group who are a lifestyle choice rather than a race is confusing.

Romany gypsies are a race; although people have varying opinions on them. The classic Irish traveller is a bunch of people with expensive vans etc and no obvious income but have chosen to live that way. Finding their behaviour offensive and utterly unacceptable seems frowned upon.

There are probably some lovely ones, but I've been in pubs that have been trashed by them and seen the state of parks after they've stayed.

I despise the marginalising of minorities generally, but feel they hide behind it and take the piss in quite an amazing and seemingly untouchable way.

I also say this as a wishy washy liberal type.
Had a recent infestation in North Bristol trashed a community project stole junior Park run equipment but at least were moved on within 48 hours. Scum.

Ps Wishy washy Liberal to

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I believe in one of their stays at Preston Park the Greens supplied portable toilets for them. They never used them and shat amongst the trees and bushes which the poor council cleaners had to then clear up.

Garyoldfan

Jun 14, 2023
I wonder if, given they all hail from the Rep of Ireland, they feature in the official migration figures?

A few years ago we had them both camped up at Worthing United* (on the pitch) and latterly Broadwater Green.

For people of the road, they are extremely well versed in the letter of the law when it comes to occupation times, it usually takes 5/7 days to get the relevant court orders to get them off, but that can be extended if there is a pregnant woman amongst their number.

Guess what, there usally is.

*At the time we, ie the club committee, didnt want to cause to must hassle so we left them a toliet blokc open, when they'd gone the sink had been ripped off the wall, and one of the dugouts had been used as a make shift latrine. Nice..........
Most aren’t Irish, they put on the accent for some reason. I actually can’t stand them. Total bullies who hunt in packs. I could go on but I’m getting annoyed just typing this.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Approximately 10 years back I went to the cafe in Wild Park, travellers had parked their caravans, vans, cars and tipper trucks all across the football pitches.
The council had provided large bins next to their caravans, I watched one of the travellers drive his van into the park, pull up next to a bin and fill up the bin with some broken up kitchen units. I suppose this was better than dumping them in the bushes or in the middle of a country lane.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Out of interest, what is the source for this story ?
I was based in an office near preston park for over 20yrs and saw the poor cleaners clearing up, speaking to them was rather damning. Toilet roll everywhere which was attracting the dogs. Mind you the 1st few pride events weren't much better

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I was based in an office near preston park for over 20yrs and saw the poor cleaners clearing up, speaking to them was rather damning. Toilet roll everywhere which was attracting the dogs. Mind you the 1st few pride events weren't much better

I know they shit wherever they go. I wondered why the Greens would have supplied toilets. Most political parties aren't exactly awash with money for stuff like this :shrug:

Garyoldfan

Jun 14, 2023
It must be a nightmare for the Garda squad chasing this lot, constantly on the move.
For north Brighton residents.

Expect offers to redo your driveway. If you've got a building project on right now, remove all steel from the front drive/garden (24-7 .... they'll thieve when people are at home or on site!).

Not racist hearsay. We've been victims, I know many others who have been too.

Do not allow any conversation to get going whatsoever about 'a loose tile' on your roof or similar, after a knock at the door. I almost got trapped about 4 years ago, within 30 minutes I was under pressure from two Irish accent oaths about agreeing to pay £2.5k cash.
They’re not a race.

Reactions: abc

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
They do the same in Europe as well.

About 15 years ago, we turned up in our motorhome at a lovely riverside campsite in Colmar, Alsace.
We spotted the GB stickers on the caravans, but in our naivety, didn't make the connection.
Moments after we had arrived, all the menfolk were in a huddle, and then they all raced off the campsite, past the office, caravans in tow, without paying.
That evening, in the restaurant, I detected a certain frostiness from the staff, until we paid for our meal.

They don't do themselves any favours.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
We’ve adopted similar on our development after a 24 hour visit a few years back.
Unlucky for them they were on school land (wasn’t clear by fencing but been school has more land to be extended) so they were off quickly

Sadly my experience of them has also been poor

When they left a group of us went and cleared up the mess they had left. They’d smashed a couple of glass bottles in the playground sand pit, and one of them had shitted in their as well

Sub human scummy ****s

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I believe in one of their stays at Preston Park the Greens supplied portable toilets for them. They never used them and shat amongst the trees and bushes which the poor council cleaners had to then clear up.
They do have a thing about pooping.

About 25 years ago I was fitting for Carpet Right, out of the Tottenham Hale branch on a retail park, Carpet Right shared there large showroom with a Bathroom / Kitchen company. Travellers rocked up over night about 10 caravans and various flatback trucks, the kids were running amok in the local Iceland, B&Q and would come into the showroom wonder around looking for something to steal. One day the manager of the Bathroom Company caught two kids happily sat on display models swinging their feet taking a dump !
He chased them off while being spat at etc etc, the manger of carpet right at the time, paid staff extra to stay in the showroom overnight in case the store was broken into, I think they were on the carpark for about 4 or 5 days and caused carnage, thieving from shops and cars that dared come on to the retail park.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Since when have travellers been a ’race’?
Since they were officially designated as one.

It doesn't mean I necessarily believe they are in real life, but that's how they're referred to these days in the UK in legislation.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have told this story before. I used to work in Harlow and right next to the campus was a permanent traveller site. This seemed to work and the only problems we had was they sometimes let their horses graze on the grass of nearby fields and the grass in the middle of the roundabout outside work. Maybe if these were set up across the country things might be different?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I have told this story before. I used to work in Harlow and right next to the campus was a permanent traveller site. This seemed to work and the only problems we had was they sometimes let their horses graze on the grass of nearby fields and the grass in the middle of the roundabout outside work. Maybe if these were set up across the country things might be different?
There is one in Lancing, it has recently been moved because of the New Monks Farm Project and Cala Homes built them new homes just to the left of the turn off for Shoreham (Brighton) Airport, been to one or two of the homes in the past, very nice amiable folks.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
There is one in Lancing, it has recently been moved because of the New Monks Farm Project and Cala Homes built them new homes just to the left of the turn off for Shoreham (Brighton) Airport, been to one or two of the homes in the past, very nice amiable folks.

There is also one outside Lewes but the people who turn up in parks etc causing trouble are not the ones who would use these sites.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
There's one right by the A23/A27 intersection too I think, on the outskirts of Brighton.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Can't stand em. Horrible lot! My late father who was a proud Irishman always detested them. He said they gave the Irish a bad name!
Everyone I know despises them in my Irish family, but I learned a long time ago they may sound Irish but are anything but. It’s their insular culture that maintains the accent hundreds of years later. My family call them Tinkers amongst many other names!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here