Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Travel Vouchers

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I subsidise numerous disabled facilities I do not use, reductions on children's tickets, some stewards I don't need or use ( why should the well behaved pay for stewards and police?).

I agree to a certain extent but that is being in the ground as opposed to getting to it.

As I have stated why should people who pay to park etc subsidise the travel as well, also those that have paid Stagedoor to travel from somewhere in Sussex to the ground by coach ?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Going back to the OP , are we putting the cart before the horse ? Is the current travel voucher scheme being revamped for next season ? Why have a book of travel vouchers when they can be added onto a smartcard ? By the start of next season the BHAFC smartcard will be integrated into B&H Buses and Southern Railways system.

Hopefully we are and as I have said not everyone will have to pay for travel whether they want it or not.

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
Going back to the OP , are we putting the cart before the horse ? Is the current travel voucher scheme being revamped for next season ? Why have a book of travel vouchers when they can be added onto a smartcard ? By the start of next season the BHAFC smartcard will be integrated into B&H Buses and Southern Railways system.
not really as even with smartcard the station is still opened up to allow the quick movement of fans away from the platforms as quickly as possible.buses are probably not a problem as there is one door for you to get on and if you dont show your travel voucher you probably either have to pay or are told to get off the bus.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I agree to a certain extent but that is being in the ground as opposed to getting to it.

As I have stated why should people who pay to park etc subsidise the travel as well, also those that have paid Stagedoor to travel from somewhere in Sussex to the ground by coach ?

Why should you and I pay for the disabled persons shuttle from SU to the AMEX?

We're all in this together, so let's stop bleating about who pays for what and revel in the foreword thinking AMEX with integrated transport. FFS it's only and extra £1.20 with VAT.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I'll pay. I use it only occasionally but can see that as part of an integrated transport policy that makes the ground work well and also helps towards us getting planning permission it is entirely sensible.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Hopefully we are and as I have said not everyone will have to pay for travel whether they want it or not.

Sounds more logical when tied in to LB's comment about VAT on public transport.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Why should you and I pay for the disabled persons shuttle from SU to the AMEX?

We're all in this together, so let's stop bleating about who pays for what and revel in the foreword thinking AMEX with integrated transport. FFS it's only and extra £1.20 with VAT.

Sorry I really do disagree on this and I am more than certain those fans that have paid to park or come by coach paying separately will not be very pleased to hear they have to subsidise fans that could not be bothered to buy travel vouchers.

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
Sorry I really do disagree on this and I am more than certain those fans that have paid to park or come by coach paying separately will not be very pleased to hear they have to subsidise fans that could not be bothered to buy travel vouchers.

however the club could then be providing a subsidy to seagulls travel out of the number who come to the amex this way.as for people who pay to park at the amex then no subsidy as the idea is that everyone comes to the ground via public transport.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Have to say I agree entirely with beach hut here, and I have a book of travel vouchers. I always walked to Withdean and was pissed off about paying for it then. Why the hell should people who don't have to pay for it be forced to?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
not really as even with smartcard the station is still opened up to allow the quick movement of fans away from the platforms as quickly as possible.buses are probably not a problem as there is one door for you to get on and if you dont show your travel voucher you probably either have to pay or are told to get off the bus.

People will have to get used to queuing and going through the ticket barriers at BTN station because I can't see Southern deploying extra staff when an automated system is already in place.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
however the club could then be providing a subsidy to seagulls travel out of the number who come to the amex this way.as for people who pay to park at the amex then no subsidy as the idea is that everyone comes to the ground via public transport.
I'm sorry, but that's utter bollocks. The idea is that around 6,000 people come by private car, as is enshrined in the need for 2,000 parking spaces in the planning permission. The public transport system could not cope with all supporters.

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
but in the interest of safety southern will not make you queue up to leave the train at falmer and to have a ticket system requires tickets to be checked at both ends of the journey.something that will never happen due to the constraints at falmer station.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Have to say I agree entirely with beach hut here, and I have a book of travel vouchers. I always walked to Withdean and was pissed off about paying for it then. Why the hell should people who don't have to pay for it be forced to?

Thanks, glad others are finally seeing the point if the club forces STHs to pay for something they don't require

Why should they all have to pay for a travel voucher as well when not using it ?

because a large proportion of the crowd have taken the piss out of the travel voucher system.
Look upon the additional cost of an all-in ticket + travel voucher as a "levy", rather than a "fare".

It's a bit like taxation - obviously a GOOD THING, if it improves the workings of society.

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
I'm sorry, but that's utter bollocks. The idea is that around 6,000 people come by private car, as is enshrined in the need for 2,000 parking spaces in the planning permission. The public transport system could not cope with all supporters.
sorry you are probably right about that but i still dont see the need to reimburse private car journeys as how could you know who is in the private car,other than the driver who books the parking place?
and unfortunately your last sentence is the reason why we will not at present get planning permission for an increased stadium cappacity.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Thanks, glad others are finally seeing the point if the club forces STHs to pay for something they don't require

Depends on how you look at it really. "Your season ticket is going to cost £xxx and will include free travel". Boom tish, you are not paying for something you don't want, merely not taking advantage of something that is included free in the cost of your ticket.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
merely not taking advantage of something that is included free in the cost of your ticket.
But it's not a case of not taking advantage of it. If you live next to the stadium, or have an OAP bus pass, or already have a travel card for work which covers your journey, or are one of the 6,000 people arriving by private car (who make the use of public transport possible for everyone else), then you CANNOT "take advantage" of it.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
but in the interest of safety southern will not make you queue up to leave the train at falmer and to have a ticket system requires tickets to be checked at both ends of the journey.something that will never happen due to the constraints at falmer station.

Surely they only need to take the vouchers of people as they filter the queue through the gate at Brighton station? They already do this slow enough for it to be possible.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't think "what about the people who have paid for parking and coaches" is a particularly valid one.

This is next season we're talking about, not this one. As far as I'm aware no one has paid for parking tickets or coaches for next season, so are not being charged. Come July they will be buying season tickets that include the park and ride. They then have the choice to pay extra for parking or coaches if they wish, but they will be doing so knowing they already have P&R vouchers. It will be their choice to pay extra for alternate arrangements to those included in the season ticket.

It's not like the club are forcing people to pay extra this year for vouchers when they have already sorted their travel arrangements.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Let's agree to disagree then. I'm happy to pay an extra levy, as LB worded it, for all the reasons I have given and also those of MP.

German teams have an integrated transport ticket. My Hertha Berlin ticket used to double up as a Berlin travelcard valid until 4am on matchdays. The Germans don't whine about it.

Okay, I'm out of here to drink some ale in the glorious Camden sunshine :wink: bye bye.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here